Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 AM

622 posts, read 410,121 times

Advertisements

Let me clarify with regard to the title: although I mentioned New Tampa, we are open to Wesley Chapel as well.

We are looking at the following:

Live Oak Preserve
Cory Lakes
Arbor Green
Grand Hampton

and in Pasco County we are looking at Seven Oaks.

Commuting is not a factor for either of us. We would like to stay within vicinity of the shops and restaurants in the New Tampa and Wesley Chapel area.

We have also looked at Easton Park, Basset Creek and Kingshyre. We stayed away from Heritage Isles because of negative feedback we received from multiple sources about that sub-division.

I did use the search function and reviewed previous threads on these communities but much of it seems a little dated in terms of problems that some of these areas have gone through in past years.

I would really appreciate any feedback you can provide as to the pros and cons about buying in these areas.

BTW, I am the one who posted about a house we saw with Chinese drywall that had been remediated. We decided against buying the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Just be aware that property taxes are lower in Pasco County as well as
a lot of utility bills.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:34 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Just be aware that property taxes are lower in Pasco County as well as
a lot of utility bills.
Basing a house that people might be living for decades on today's property tax and utility bill is not a good idea, if you ask me. For all I know Pasco County can change that in a dime. Just saying.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you aware of any negatives in the sub-divisions I have named that would warrant caution?

I notice there are a surprisingly high number of homes for sale in Cory Lakes and Grand Hampton including several foreclosures. Not sure as to the reason for this unless it is because of the high taxes/HOA/CDD that, perhaps, turns of some potential buyers.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 AM

182 posts, read 170,780 times
Seven Oaks is great. It has nice amenities, is well-maintained, and there is a community feel to most neighborhood. CDD is high, but it's also a useful tax deduction.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:33 PM

440 posts, read 595,541 times
You might also want to try Lutz. I just moved here, and my gf lives in Seven Oaks, takes me 15 mins to get there straight down Bruce B Downs, and it's nice and quiet and close to everything

Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Basing a house that people might be living for decades on today's property tax and utility bill is not a good idea, if you ask me. For all I know Pasco County can change that in a dime. Just saying.
+1
And after hearing more and more about Wesley Chapel wanting to become a separate entity, I see nothing but taxes go up.

Just compared homes sold in Wesley Chapel and at Grand Hampton - similar size (within 100 sq.ft.) and taxes were equal, but at the Grand Hampton CDD were included and at Wesley Chapel were not.

I think times when taxes difference existed between Pasco and Hillsborough are in the past.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
You might also want to try Lutz. I just moved here, and my gf lives in Seven Oaks, takes me 15 mins to get there straight down Bruce B Downs, and it's nice and quiet and close to everything
Yes, we are open to Lutz but from my review of home prices it seems like Lutz is more expensive than New Tampa and Wesley Chapel.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Are you aware of any negatives in the sub-divisions I have named that would warrant caution?

I notice there are a surprisingly high number of homes for sale in Cory Lakes and Grand Hampton including several foreclosures. Not sure as to the reason for this unless it is because of the high taxes/HOA/CDD that, perhaps, turns of some potential buyers.
Cory Lakes had major issues with man made lake. To the point people houses were flooded. Their CDD went up -> many homeowners decided not to pay -> a lot of foreclosures.

With Grand Hampton, as far as I can tell there were houses with toxic drywalls built and a lot of people didn't want to get in that community even after other builder came it due to values of homes with toxic drywalls not helping them.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:23 PM

Just keep in mind Seven Oaks pools are pretty overcrowded during the season. And middle and high schools are about to be rezoned too if it matters. Other than that it's a nice community.
If you like a location and don't want CDD ( and don't need super pool and clubhouse), check out Arbor Woods - great location and no CDD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay