Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:43 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times

Advertisements

I agree it is unusual.

Marshaljr15, you ask if the statement about the bylaw requirement for Board of Directors is true. I would hope that a board member...and especially one asked to be president...would know the bylaws.

And, then, that you wouldn't want to find a way around the bylaw.

So what's going on there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:48 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Florida law will make the house become marital asset after they get married so she automatically gets half unless he is putting the house in a LLC or different legal entity.
Not true. One of my husbands houses was purchased before we got married, so it was only his name on the mortgage and deed. It stayed the same way after we married - nobody could add me to his mortgage just because we got married, but as for deed, yes, spouse can add new wife, but it must be recorded and not automatic.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:16 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Quote:
Florida law will make the house become marital asset after they get married so she automatically gets half unless he is putting the house in a LLC or different legal entity.
That's not even the law in community property states. Try finding a law to support your claim in Florida or any other state.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:40 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Well you will find out when you get a divorce and the one who is not on the deed will go to court for half the value of the house. Good luck telling a judge that they didn't put a dime in it as Florida law is very clear and we have closed on many homes people get divorces and one leaves through the back door to avoid more fights as the one buying the house and owning it all by themselves only realized after they get married and want to split up that they will loose half the value of the house.

Better check the law before you get married or put the house in a LLC or different entity to avoid it to become marital asset.

You don't have to believe me, that's totally fine with me but try to convince a judge.

The name of the spouse doesn't have to be on the deed for the husband or wife to be an owner after the marriage took place.

Every title company will ask if you are married or not when you are closing on a house and there is a reason for that. If you are divorced and selling a home they title company needs to see the divorce papers as it may be settled in court that one partner has signed not to get any interest in the house which in some cases happens in a friendly divorce or if one partner buys the other one out and of course with a prenuptial agreement there may be something arranged but as I'm not a lawyer I'm not sure how that can be handled in a prenuptial agreement.

I would suggest for anyone who doesn't believe me to contact a Florida real estate lawyer and to inquire about this.

Years ago I was under the same impression as some of you but I know better now and we had many clients who got the shock of their life when they found out when the title company or a lawyer informed them what Florida law is for this subject if no prior agreement is made (if that is even possible) unless the house is not bought or put in a LLC or perhaps a trust may be possible too.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 AM

809 posts, read 746,271 times
Quote:
Well you will find out when you get a divorce and the one who is not on the deed will go to court for half the value of the house.
Surprising, given the Florida concept of recognizing what was owned before the marriage in determining what gets split up.

Though not law, here's a straightforward writeup:

What Property Gets Divided in a Florida Divorce? - Florida Divorce Source

Specifically the first paragraph:

"When you woke up on the morning of your wedding day, you owned some things: a car, some clothes, a bank account, maybe a house. All of that remains your separate property during the marriage and does not get divided during a Florida divorce. That is, unless you do something to make it marital property (as opposed to your individual non-marital property)".

That leads to the question, does sharing your house with your spouse make it marital property? It might be arguable that any increased value of the shared living house be divided equally.

Then again, anyone can sue anyone over anything. Makes sense to document any personal assets you want to protect in case of divorce.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Hold it right there... Why are we talking about the divorce all of a sudden?
The original claim was:

"Florida law will make the house become marital asset after they get married so she automatically gets half unless he is putting the house in a LLC or different legal entity."

And this is not true. Yes, a wife CAN be added to the DEED after the marriage, but if it was not done officially, wife has nothing to do with the property, and cannot really be on the HOA board (original topic) since she is not property owner.

I wouldn't claim anything I have no professional knowledge of.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:14 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,018,629 times
HOAs are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay