Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:48 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Do you include Sarasota a a major metro area.....really bad down there between Port Charlotte all the way up to Bradenton/Palmetto on I75....didn't realize there was so many folks working in those areas and headed to work during rush hour.....thought those areas were snowbirders mostly, but I'm wrong.....
Sure, I'd throw Sarasota in. There is a whole lot of development for miles to its east, south and north. Its people magnet since jobs are located around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 02:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
REALLY need mass transit. REALLY. Tampa Bay area will never compete with other major white collar/tech cities without investing in mass transit. More lanes, more lanes NEVER works.
The problem being that we are required to have the entire county vote on it, and every area outside of the city of Tampa is pretty backwards. I wish there were a way to vote on a rail line through the city of Tampa alone.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:54 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Rush during peak season is more crowded, you would be amazed how many Canadian and Michigan plates you see during rush hour, I wish they would have the human decency to stay at home during rush hour
I always wonder why someone retired or on vacation would purposely go out in rush hour. I used to work 2nd shift 12-8, 1-9 or 2-10... I never dealt with rush hour; for the past few years I have worked regular hours in Orlando and Jacksonville... I hate it.

With some of the retirees I think it is a matter of habits. My grandmother was a snowbird for several years. After my grandfather died she had my uncle, dad or I drive her to NJ for summer and she insisted on leaving FL on April 15 or 30, it could not wait for a weekend.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:12 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The problem being that we are required to have the entire county vote on it, and every area outside of the city of Tampa is pretty backwards. I wish there were a way to vote on a rail line through the city of Tampa alone.
TB does not need to reinvent the wheel (or the rail).

I'm from DC-Metro and in the 1960's all of the local counties, cities and towns got together before the Metro (subway) was built. I'm sure similar REGIONAL authorities were created with REGIONAL goals for mass transit in San Francisco, Boston, LA, and just about anywhere else in the US that has a mass transit system that (inevitably) crosses multiple municipal boundaries.

TB area is very behind the times in doing this and it will never succeed as a major player for National and International white collar business HQs.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:42 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
TB does not need to reinvent the wheel (or the rail).

I'm from DC-Metro and in the 1960's all of the local counties, cities and towns got together before the Metro (subway) was built. I'm sure similar REGIONAL authorities were created with REGIONAL goals for mass transit in San Francisco, Boston, LA, and just about anywhere else in the US that has a mass transit system that (inevitably) crosses multiple municipal boundaries.

TB area is very behind the times in doing this and it will never succeed as a major player for National and International white collar business HQs.
It's not just TB is all of Florida. The Robles is that most of Florida's cities boomed during the car craze so building suburbs and roads for cars without planning created the mess we are in.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM

473 posts, read 544,124 times
My wife and I live in Land O Lakes, she works in Tampa and I work in Dunedin, we both have noticed how the traffic has eased over the past month or so. It takes us 30 and 45 minutes respectively to get home from work each night.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Rant #2745

Traffic is just out of control on 275 -> I4 to Lakeland. I exit sooner, but there are 3 major choke points along the way. On I4 from Armenia Ave to 275 North, I4 Merge past the Selmon entrance, I75/301 entrance/exit.

It take 1 hour to go from Raymond James to Branch Forbes Road!!!

Please tell me this is seasonal due to Snow Birds / School / Spring Breakers!!!

Do I need to create a support group with a 7 step program !!!
Between threads about traffic, hotter than hell heat and humidity, alligators everywhere, bad job opportunities, crappy cookie cutter homes in gated communities with HOAs, bad healthcare, high crime, what the heck do we have to do to keep the outsiders from moving here?

Old 05-02-2016, 06:19 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Between threads about traffic, hotter than hell heat and humidity, alligators everywhere, bad job opportunities, crappy cookie cutter homes in gated communities with HOAs, bad healthcare, high crime, what the heck do we have to do to keep the outsiders from moving here?
We need a wall built around the Tampa Bay Area and we need New York to pay for it.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:22 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Have our sports teams lose all the time? Oh wait, we have that too.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
We need a wall built around the Tampa Bay Area and we need New York to pay for it.
Now THIS is a man I can get behind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay