Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,821,508 times

Advertisements

I'm an existing Seattle area landlord and am considering moving to Lakeland Florida (planning a trip to visit Tampa, Clearwater, Lakeland area) for the more favorable rent to price ratio. What's surprising is I've seen a few 9 plex apartment buildings that are very reasonably priced, and when I look at the crime map of the area, it's low crime.

I was first looking at Clearwater but the prices are a bit higher, I can get a series of duplexes for 60K each in Lakeland or a single house in Clearwater/Tampa for 125-150K. As usual, when looking at lower priced properties, I suspect ghetto, but when I looked at the crime map it was a low crime area, and I could see the reported incidents in the area. All minor.

So what's the deal? It's situated between Tampa and Orlando for an easy commute (I still work a full time professional job right now and want to keep that option open even when retiring down there) and prices are low, and from what I can tell, not in crime ridden ghettos. Perhaps I'll post the specific streets I'm looking at, but curious to see what people say about Lakeland in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 01:20 PM

25 posts, read 48,917 times
Generally Lakeland is fine. There are areas that are not so nice and there are much nicer areas. The "south side" is the preferred area. It is a conservative area and considered to be right in the Bible Belt. Lakeland is less expensive cause it is not a coastal area, not accessible to as many employers, etc. It's at least 90, maybe closer to 120 minutes to the beach. Hurricane insurance and property taxes should be cheaper. COmmuting to downtown Tampa is probably 60-75 minutes. Downtown ORlando should be about the same if you don't get stuck in tourist traffic.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,821,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi33547 View Post
Generally Lakeland is fine. There are areas that are not so nice and there are much nicer areas. The "south side" is the preferred area. It is a conservative area and considered to be right in the Bible Belt. Lakeland is less expensive cause it is not a coastal area, not accessible to as many employers, etc. It's at least 90, maybe closer to 120 minutes to the beach. Hurricane insurance and property taxes should be cheaper. COmmuting to downtown Tampa is probably 60-75 minutes. Downtown ORlando should be about the same if you don't get stuck in tourist traffic.
Thank you! Can you tell me what street is the border between the north and south sides; perhaps any street with S or South in the name is the south side? Or which rectangular area is the south side? For example, here East Tacoma, WA border area is Portland Ave on the East, I-5 on the North, 72nd on the South, and Pacific Ave on the West.

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 06-02-2016 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 09:52 AM

704 posts, read 1,271,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Thank you! Can you tell me what street is the border between the north and south sides; perhaps any street with S or South in the name is the south side? Or which rectangular area is the south side? For example, here East Tacoma, WA border area is Portland Ave on the East, I-5 on the North, 72nd on the South, and Pacific Ave on the West.
Main Street (not to be mistaken for Maine Ave in the Eaton Park area E. Lakeland) separates north/south in Lakeland. A good point of reference would be N. Florida & S. Florida Avenue at Main St. Florida Avenue also separates east/west

Old 06-03-2016, 11:19 AM

633 posts, read 1,005,102 times
We have looked at homes in Lakeland (it is on our possible retirement location list) and we have friends there.

The nicest places/areas as far as our friends (who live in Lakeland) are concerned, are 33811, 33813 and certain sections of 33803. There are OK places in the other zips, but some not as nice. We have driven through and you can see properties are not as nicely taken care of, etc. Anywhere on the southern end off of the Polk Parkway is going to make for easy commuting!

Old 06-03-2016, 12:32 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,284 times
If you happen to be visiting the area do NOT miss lunch at The Terrace Hotel - best crab cake I have ever eaten and I have eaten a lot of them in lots of places!
Super historical hotel - undersold in my opinion.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:27 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,833,992 times
Lakeland is a wonderful small city - we lived there for two years, and loved it. Something about it has the feeling of "a place that time forgot" - in a good way. Like all cities, it does have it's ghetto and bad parts, but overall it has a charming restored downtown built around a central park, several beautiful lakes for the public to enjoy, many public parks, some of the nicest I have seen in Florida. Lots of public art all over the area, and the swan is the city mascot - Lake Morton is a swan sanctuary, just beautiful. Lake Hollingsworth just a bit to the south features a wonderful path all around the lake for walking/jogging/skating. There is a beautiful country club right out of vintage Hollywood on this lake, and also Florida Southern College, featuring the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings.

I would stick to southside downtown and further south like Lakeland Highlands. As mentioned, it is convenient to be near the Polk Parkway. My husband commuted to downtown Tampa from there and was about 50 min. drive in rush hour.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:49 PM

428 posts, read 411,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I'm an existing Seattle area landlord and am considering moving to Lakeland Florida (planning a trip to visit Tampa, Clearwater, Lakeland area) for the more favorable rent to price ratio. What's surprising is I've seen a few 9 plex apartment buildings that are very reasonably priced, and when I look at the crime map of the area, it's low crime.

I was first looking at Clearwater but the prices are a bit higher, I can get a series of duplexes for 60K each in Lakeland or a single house in Clearwater/Tampa for 125-150K. As usual, when looking at lower priced properties, I suspect ghetto, but when I looked at the crime map it was a low crime area, and I could see the reported incidents in the area. All minor.

So what's the deal? It's situated between Tampa and Orlando for an easy commute (I still work a full time professional job right now and want to keep that option open even when retiring down there) and prices are low, and from what I can tell, not in crime ridden ghettos. Perhaps I'll post the specific streets I'm looking at, but curious to see what people say about Lakeland in general.
We are moving very soon to the Tampa area and will work in Lakeland.

We have a list of reasons why we won't live in Lakeland, derived from asking current residents, visiting ourselves, and of course lots of "reading up". Of the people we have met that recommend Lakeland, probably only about 2 out of 10 still live there... the other 8 act a little bewildered as to why we won't live there (well, why did THEY move out? ). Crime is one of those reasons we choose the Tampa area. Yes, "every city has it", but it seems to be disproportionately concentrated for a small city... Lakeland is about neck and neck statistically with Tampa, but Tampa is almost 3 1/2 times its size. You can view crime maps and stats for each county on their respective Sheriff's webpages.

Schools are less desirable in Polk county and we find the feasible private options are fewer. If you have kids (buyer or renter), and/or plan to sell some day, that matters. Charter/magnet schools should be considered as difficult if not more to be admitted to than private- because everybody wants to get in without having to pay a private school tuition. Furthermore, if you're not employed by the school, then your child will not have the benefit of nepotism to attend it when looking to a school outside of your set boundaries.

But aside from the drawbacks *according to my family*, consider what other factors help to define YOUR quality of life: Do you like the option of having a drink by the ocean or watching the sunset over the gulf on short notice, catching a baseball game, or going deep sea fishing on a whim? Or are a few car shows, arts and crafts festivals, and a list of performers that haven't done much recently more appealing (all of which can also be found in and around Tampa as well)? You can easily reach lakes, camping, hiking, kayaking, etc. from both areas. Of course, where you buy (retire) and who rents from you, in my opinion, will be two different types of people.

Sperling's and Neighborhood Scout are resources we used to look around at areas before moves and we find both to be worthwhile, aside from City Data "word of mouth" (which is very helpful and I have been *so glad* for this site).

But the best way to know if a place suits you is to visit. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2016, 03:41 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,505,224 times
Lived and worked in Tampa from '74-'14, then moved to Lakeland. Only regret is that I didn't move here sooner. Tampa Bay area is way overpopulated, when it takes 30-45 min to drive about 5 mi. It's time for me to go.
Lakeland is growing too but the traffic and people are nothing like in Hillsborough county.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:04 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,833,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Lived and worked in Tampa from '74-'14, then moved to Lakeland. Only regret is that I didn't move here sooner. Tampa Bay area is way overpopulated, when it takes 30-45 min to drive about 5 mi. It's time for me to go.
Lakeland is growing too but the traffic and people are nothing like in Hillsborough county.
This ^^^. I noticed immediately how happy and FRIENDLY everyone we met there was. Very laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay