Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 07:36 AM

33 posts, read 83,368 times

Advertisements

Thanks Wally - That is really helpful. Unfortunately I won't be able to come down before my move. So I have to rely on the internet. Thinking I'll find an apartment for a short lease and then get to know the area and find out what spot works best for me after that! Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 12:29 PM

554 posts, read 977,175 times
The good thing about St. Pete is that you can get from northern St. Pete to downtown in 10 min or less. I live right in the middle of DTSP, as you mentioned, you may want to sign a 6 month lease somewhere and then get to know the area as most of the appts / condos for rent down here don't advertise.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
The good thing about St. Pete is that you can get from northern St. Pete to downtown in 10 min or less. I live right in the middle of DTSP, as you mentioned, you may want to sign a 6 month lease somewhere and then get to know the area as most of the appts / condos for rent down here don't advertise.
Thats what I'm thinking - although I'd love to be downtown right away, might be smarter to rent an apartment up north (looks like theres a lot of nice places there and not toooo far lol) and then learn my way after. Thanks again!

Old 06-16-2016, 07:39 PM

163 posts, read 183,736 times
If you want to be downtown, I would not recommend staying anywhere north of 38th. We were in corporate housing around Gandy Blvd and 4th St., close to Clearwater, and it was very inconvenient driving 20 minutes each way any time we wanted to do anything worthwhile. I'd suggest finding a really short term rental on Craigslist that's closer to downtown. During the summer you should be able to find something pretty cheap that's short term and can then spend a month or two figuring things out. I hated living up there and wouldn't do it again.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 PM

116 posts, read 212,941 times
Ladywray - Fellow Austinite here again. We just got back from a vacation in Anna Maria. We spent a day looking at Dunedin and Palm Harbor for future retirement and then we spent an afternoon before our flight checking out areas of St. Pete. We loved it and now it's at the top of our list for when we leave Austin. It reminded me of Austin 10 - 15 years ago - maybe even before that. I just wish the housing prices were a little lower - still lower than Austin though. We drove around the neighborhoods others discussed previously (Old NE, Crescent Lake, Historic Kenwood) and they were great! We plan to make a longer return visit soon. Central Avenue was great, beautiful museums - yes homelessness but didn't seem worse than Austin. It reminded me of when Austin kept it weird. I plan to tell no one how much I liked it.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 PM

50 posts, read 77,981 times
My wife and I moved here to St. Pete from Austin about 10 months ago. You are spot on shmatbert, it reminds us of Austin 10-15 years ago, when it was still "different" and not trying to be the coolest place around. Back when it still felt like a city, not some massively expanding sprawling metro.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:58 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmatbert View Post
Ladywray - Fellow Austinite here again. We just got back from a vacation in Anna Maria. We spent a day looking at Dunedin and Palm Harbor for future retirement and then we spent an afternoon before our flight checking out areas of St. Pete. We loved it and now it's at the top of our list for when we leave Austin. It reminded me of Austin 10 - 15 years ago - maybe even before that. I just wish the housing prices were a little lower - still lower than Austin though. We drove around the neighborhoods others discussed previously (Old NE, Crescent Lake, Historic Kenwood) and they were great! We plan to make a longer return visit soon. Central Avenue was great, beautiful museums - yes homelessness but didn't seem worse than Austin. It reminded me of when Austin kept it weird. I plan to tell no one how much I liked it.
Everyone knows though - it's become so popular.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:05 PM

W&AE and Shmatbert - THAT IS GREAT NEWS. I LOVE AUSTIN but I always say, I wish I saw it when.. I've only been here for 3 years and even since then it has changed so much and really lost what I loved about it and what I was looking for when I moved here. I wanted what I think Austin would of been 10 years ago, so that really makes me happy to hear that St. Pete reminds yall of that. Sounds like I'm making the right choice.

WallyB - I have seen that a lot of apartments are so far north on 4th or 9th, which really stinks. I'm keeping my eye out for something closer to downtown but everything is really pricey for apartments. There are some houses that look great and exactly what I want but moving from out of state and not seeing it first, makes it risky. Think I might have to suck it up and live up north for a few months and then find something else closer to town.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM

18 posts, read 20,675 times
I was looking for cheap apartments near DT st. pete, i found these dorm looking flats: Rental Apartments Saint Petersburg FL - Downtown Tropicana Field Rays

anyone know if they are safe/nice? They are extremely cheap for what i assume the area and urban style loft apartments would be.

The only time i went to st pete i longboarded to a skate shop and i found these apartments bc they are only about 3 blocks away from the skate shop i went to that was in a great location.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:43 PM

238 posts, read 576,084 times
Wow...i just checked out their website and it looks like a cool place...i was wondering also if anyone can tell us about this place...I wonder what the rents are here and if it is a quiet place to live....Also, if it is mostly just for young people or if it also has older people living there as well (mixed ages)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay