Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 12:49 PM

390 posts, read 635,747 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm considering moving from Cape Coral to the Tampa area to be closer to stuff to do. Could someone please offer suggestions on where good places to live are, considering the following?

1. I want at least a three bedroom house with >2200 square feet and a pool.
2. House budget is ~$250k, give or take a little depending on what the house has to offer.
3. I'd like to be in a suburban area or even rural, away from the hectic dense city, but close enough to not have to go too far to enjoy it. My wife and I both work from home, so are completely flexible on location in that regard.
4. I'm looking for a middle class area with low crime.
5. We're in our 40's, so wouldn't like being in an area where there's nothing but retirees.
6. Of course, as close to beaches as we can get is always good. We're used to a little over an hour (it would be shorter if the Caloosahatchee wasn't so disgusting. Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel are not worth going to), and would like to cut that down some.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:07 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,019,702 times
If you're looking to get away from the city, might I suggest not looking into Tampa? Try Lutz, Land O Lake, etc.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check them out.

I'm actually looking to get closer to a big city, but not in the thick of it. This corner of Florida is pretty dull, so being closer to the action is why we're thinking about making this move. Having lived in the center of Phoenix for a while, I know that being in the middle of the rat race won't make me happy, but I don't want to have to travel two hours to go to a Bucs game, for example.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSnow4me View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check them out.

I'm actually looking to get closer to a big city, but not in the thick of it. This corner of Florida is pretty dull, so being closer to the action is why we're thinking about making this move. Having lived in the center of Phoenix for a while, I know that being in the middle of the rat race won't make me happy, but I don't want to have to travel two hours to go to a Bucs game, for example.
Stick to unincorporated Tampa. Carrollwood, Westchase, Northdale, etc.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM

So, the wife is trying to get out ahead of me with all this. She's starting to get fired up about houses she's found in Riverview. Is there anything about that area that I should beware of?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:53 AM

261 posts, read 261,292 times
Riverview is the center of the greatest urban sprawl of the Tampa Area. Its filled with accidents and traffic especially on roads such as the dangerous Big bend Road, us 301 and i 75 . The population went from 10,000 in Riverview in the 90s to currently about 80,000 with little infrastructure improvements. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 126.63 percent. Crime has increased as well in the Riverview/Brandon corridor. Bloomingdale avenue sometimes reminds me of parts of Miami. My rent up 100 dollars in the last year and im moving out of Florida, living here was my last bit of Florida i want to experience. If your under 45 your car insurance in Hillsborough county will be extremely high. It will be a lot higher than Lee.

There is an expected growth of 32,000 south of SR 60 in the next 3 years, which will make the sprawl and traffic worse in the Eastern Hillsborough area. Brandon and Riverview used to be nice and small town feel country like now it feels dirty and urban, with homeless camps, ghetto neighborhoods, commercial strip malls and overpriced luxury apartment complexes going up everywhere. I am actually a foodie as well, and Riverview/Brandon is probably the worst place I lived in my life as far as mom and pop restaurants. Lived in both Hillsborough and Pinellas I wouldnt suggest either. Pinellas although has some good beaches where you get find parking and no doubt had better restaurants than East hillsborough did. Fred's is about the best mom and pop place in Riverview it is good, but other than that its tepid.

Last edited by paradiselost; 06-21-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
Bloomingdale avenue sometimes reminds me of parts of Miami.
What part of Miami is that, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay