Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:36 AM

296 posts, read 658,177 times

Advertisements

From Forbes according to realtor.com

Forbes Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 02:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
That's interesting to hear. Hope they have jobserved lined up before moving here and enjoy hotter than hell temps......

But this is good news for people selling homes, for businesses looking for customers......including the sports teams looking to improve attendance.

Looking at more traffic on the roadways as well.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:23 PM

428 posts, read 415,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That's interesting to hear. Hope they have jobserved lined up before moving here and enjoy hotter than hell temps......

But this is good news for people selling homes, for businesses looking for customers......including the sports teams looking to improve attendance.

Looking at more traffic on the roadways as well.

I see this impression floated so much on CD...

Why is it that in the Tampa forum, this idea seems so prevalent- that people can afford to move with no job? I have seen this suggestion "Have a job before you come here" so many times... Do you think people really move without jobs? (Perhaps the new grad, but even then...)

With very well paying jobs, we wouldn't move without a little relo from new employers (or else run up credit, which we won't do). But even relo sometimes doesn't cover enough. We had relo coming from NY to FL last year and still *expected* to shell out our own money (we wanted this move), but we paid more than what we even cushioned (and we can add and subtract and multiply... life just gives you what it gives you sometimes). We were prepared. Do people flood Tampa jobless? 'Cause the way many posters react with the "have a job" sentiment makes it sound like a bunch of ding-a-lings are invading the region. And I know that can't be the case.

So what is it that has everybody saying "Have a job before you move"... Isn't that plain old common sense?

(I feel like I am repeating myself, Lol. Perhaps I have already expressed this in another thread... Or just thought of doing so. )

Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post

Why is it that in the Tampa forum, this idea seems so prevalent- that people can afford to move with no job? I have seen this suggestion "Have a job before you come here" so many times... Do you think people really move without jobs? (Perhaps the new grad, but even then...)

With very well paying jobs, we wouldn't move without a little relo from new employers (or else run up credit, which we won't do). But even relo sometimes doesn't cover enough. We had relo coming from NY to FL last year and still *expected* to shell out our own money (we wanted this move), but we paid more than what we even cushioned (and we can add and subtract and multiply... life just gives you what it gives you sometimes). We were prepared. Do people flood Tampa jobless? 'Cause the way many posters react with the "have a job" sentiment makes it sound like a bunch of ding-a-lings are invading the region. And I know that can't be the case.

So what is it that has everybody saying "Have a job before you move"... Isn't that plain old common sense?

(I feel like I am repeating myself, Lol. Perhaps I have already expressed this in another thread... Or just thought of doing so. )
People could move without a job and start looking once they relocate. Perhaps they use some sort of savings and live with minimum requirements for a while. Either that or they screw up and end up homeless or mooching off a friend and/or relative.

But I think what Buc's getting at is to relocate with a stable job. There are people out there that relocate thinking that they can automatically get a 60k job in their field, but next thing you know, they're at McDonalds complaining because they didn't do their research on the local economy before relocating.

With that being said, researching should be done before any relocation to anywhere. I wouldn't exactly move to DC, SF or even the Texas cities without researching their job markets. But I think Florida and California are the two places that have a lot of people who come with the "I'm going to start new again" mentality and that can be an issue for unprepared newcomers.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:05 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,885 times
If there is any real truth to this list it is a result of the booming retiree market in the tampa bay area. 55+ complexes like Kings Point and Valencia Lakes in sun city center and others in the region are absolutely booming. Previously popular southeast florida is entirely built out and has become way too hectic for retirees. Northeastern retirees, especially those from Long Island have been pouring into these 55+ communities the past few years. The villages in ocala is another example, not sure if that was lumped into the bay area stats. My parents live in kings point over the winter and i have seen this first hand, houses sell in a few days usually to a newly retired coupled from long island. I live in soho and see no new sudden influx of younger people the trend is almost the opposite with many looking for better opportunities elsewhere. Amongst the young-ish professional intellectually serious crowd Tampa is not considered a hot spot at all more a dead spot, some may dabble for a few years but those serious about building a career in their 20s and 30s usually end up elsewhere. I see and hear of countless relocations to Dallas, Atlanta, NY, DC, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post

Why is it that in the Tampa forum, this idea seems so prevalent- that people can afford to move with no job?
I've been posting here for awhile (2007). That's a lot of years. And over those years I've read thousands, if not ten thousand threads.

Many of those are about how tough life is in Tampa - guess why?

They moved here without a job lined up.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:44 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
If there is any real truth to this list it is a result of the booming retiree market in the tampa bay area. 55+ complexes like Kings Point and Valencia Lakes in sun city center and others in the region are absolutely booming. Previously popular southeast florida is entirely built out and has become way too hectic for retirees. Northeastern retirees, especially those from Long Island have been pouring into these 55+ communities the past few years. The villages in ocala is another example, not sure if that was lumped into the bay area stats. My parents live in kings point over the winter and i have seen this first hand, houses sell in a few days usually to a newly retired coupled from long island. I live in soho and see no new sudden influx of younger people the trend is almost the opposite with many looking for better opportunities elsewhere. Amongst the young-ish professional intellectually serious crowd Tampa is not considered a hot spot at all more a dead spot, some may dabble for a few years but those serious about building a career in their 20s and 30s usually end up elsewhere. I see and hear of countless relocations to Dallas, Atlanta, NY, DC, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.
So, what you're saying is that Tampa's population is booming because retirees are moving to every suburb surrounding Tampa?

Makes sense.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
From Forbes according to realtor.com

Forbes Welcome
Awesome!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,897,466 times
Quote:
We moved from MA to NC without jobs. We sold our house in MA, bought another house in the Raleigh area and then looked for jobs. Worked out great, but we had a lot of savings. Then we moved from the Raleigh area to the Tampa Bay Area. I came without a job, but my wife was able to relocate with her job. Her choice to move, so no relo package.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
This makes a lot of sense. Agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay