Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 05:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times

Advertisements

smarino...

You were holding your own against leenme as far as correcting his lies. But....I live in and love Gulfport. Your comments that Gulfport is nothing but old white yankees is horribly misleading.

From City-Data:
Gulfport on our top lists:
#14 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely lesbian couples (counted as self-reported female-female unmarried-partner households) (population 5,000+)"
#21 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households) (population 5,000+)"
#28 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely gay men couples (counted as self-reported male-male unmarried-partner households) (population 5,000+)"

Old 07-15-2016, 05:53 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
A lot of people arent afraid of being where crime may happen because it can happen anywhere at any time regardless of statistics. What are people going to do? Perhaps lock themselves in a windowless box with a steel door?

Take Dyker Heights Brooklyn for instance. A few weeks ago a co-owner of a famous restaurant nearby was shot to death on the back steps of his house. He had $10k in cash in his pocket. Crime can happen anywhere, to anyone at anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenme View Post
New Yorker's... could it be the water?
Example= smarino has lived in the worst slums across the country, (Professional slum dweller it would seem) then comes to Florida, moves into a age-restricted trailer park that is closed to the general public, privately owned or HOA controlled.
His biggest event in life is to find a place to eat apparently, so he knows the score. If you want to know about St Petersburg just ask smarino.

Spring Hillian on the other hand wants to teach me that there are distinctions between neighborhoods.

This issue is not about me, or my cognitive ability to understand distinctions. St Petersburg has plenty of criminal activity beyond the areas that you folks defined by North and South Side. if you actually knew what you were talking about, you would know that there are nearly crime free areas south of central, neighborhoods that are beautifully maintained, with old growth flora. If you knew any of the SPPD they would tell you that crime is wide spread.
Look at the map, find Central Ave. do you see where the crime is? Hey...it's right downtown where smirino the clueless found heaven. http://spotcrime.com/fl/st.+petersburg

Old 07-15-2016, 06:06 PM

131 posts, read 139,676 times
Dothewest could you point to one lie, or more than one please. (lies)

I will agree with you on your point about Gulfport not being entirely old white Yankees, though it does have it's share.
I suspect that the largest demographic in Gulfport would be crime victims, but that's just a guess.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:14 PM

131 posts, read 139,676 times
No doubt, I don't avoid the (south-side) as it were. I have friends who live there.
I posted the data, if folks don't like the facts, they could try to help change it, it beat making silly arguments. Or they could just stop pretending to know what they're talking about and appear smarter than they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A lot of people arent afraid of being where crime may happen because it can happen anywhere at any time regardless of statistics. What are people going to do? Perhaps lock themselves in a windowless box with a steel door?

Take Dyker Heights Brooklyn for instance. A few weeks ago a co-owner of a famous restaurant nearby was shot to death on the back steps of his house. He had $10k in cash in his pocket. Crime can happen anywhere, to anyone at anytime.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:20 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I found something that some people here will be very happy to see...a Wiki on how to buy a good bullet proof vest. Don't leave home w/o it! Just doing my part to help out.

Anyone moving here should also take some self defense courses, pepper spray, buy a big 'ol dog, wear a body camera 24/7, that sort of thing. And especially watch out that all the old white Yankees in Gulfport don't get you. Nothing worse than being accosted by a Red Sox fan (complete w/ TWO Red Sox banners flying on their car) who won't shut up about how much better things were run back home.

It appears I may have misspoke on this though, as I do see young white Yankees in Gulfport now and then. Probably visiting the folks in their water front condo, and taking a break from their quest to find New England clam chowder and watching basketball till their eyes fall out. And Red Sox games, of course :}

Keep in mind that these are just generalizations. There are of course some cool younger folks in Gulfport, and the library is great, there's a nice beach, and they are at least trying to make it sort of "hip". But the overall vibe to me is old white Yankee (mixed w/ old white Canadian snowbirds half the year), and many of the condos on the water are 55+. My goodness, the senior center is right on the beach! It's just not as cool as they think it is, and very limited compared to St Pete in regards to restaurants, bars, restaurants, that sort of thing. It's also bordered by some pretty durned sketchy neighborhoods. But I stand by my statement that St Pete is a very safe town if you just avoid the south side. If it wasn't, we wouldn't live here.

How to Buy a Bulletproof Vest: 7 Steps (with Pictures)
Funny I like me some not so old white Yankees (I'm one)...maybe in 10 years when we retire we will check Gulfport out!!!

Old 07-16-2016, 06:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
smarino

You are the one losing credibility. You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts. The Senior Center is NOT on the beach....that is the YOUTH Rec Center. And it's about to be expanded with a new skateboard park. Guessing not many of your perceived old white yankees are skateboarders??

BTW....while the 55+ waterfront condos are in Gulfport, the cool folks live on Gulport's brick streets in our remodeled 1925 (and newer) cottages.

As you said about DTSP, if it wasn't cool, I wouldn't live there...same for me in Gulfport. Stop knocking a place you know so little about, or at the very least, stop LYING about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay