Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 15,712 times

Advertisements

I will try to keep this to the point.
I'm really just looking for some opinions i suppose

My husband and i moved here from NJ for a job transfer in October. We are renting a home. Since moving in, we have had a pest control company coming on every 2 months in addition to having the lawn treated. When we moved in, we had roaches. Not palmetto bugs, little roaches. They were behind the fridge. We found them in large numbers in the kitchen and then occasionally in other parts of the house. That issue is mostly under control.

I now am finding ants crawling out of the faucet in the bathtub. We have already caulked where possible and no relief . This afternoon, i found hundreds of ants crawling in and out of holes in the garage.
Im seriously allergic to bees, and im fairly sure there are hornets making a nest nearby. Roof perhaps.

The lawn/sidewalk /driveway is often crawling with ants regardless of the amount of poison being laid out. Im beyond sick of dealing with this. Landlord is useless, will not assist.

Question 1. Are these normal issues or is this house perhaps just more at risk since it really has undergone zero maintenance other than what we have done since moving in?

And 2, can anyone suggest a good pest control service? We are using orkin now but not very satisfied at all. They dont seem to even take our concerns seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 AM

76 posts, read 108,644 times
Perhaps an arsonist could help. But seriously, the bugs were here first and if the house is infested due to age or lack of care, then time to move on, but fumigate your stuff first.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,810,346 times
Exactly! It's Florida after all. And when it's getting wet inside, you see more bugs trying to move in with you LOL
We had a negative experience with Orkins, so I advise you to stay away from them. I actually had more luck spraying myself every moths using some sprays from Home Depot.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:39 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times
The people who tell you "it's Florida, deal with it" are incorrect. You most certainly do NOT have to deal with any of these bug issues. The problem is you have not found the right pest control company. Call Rick Ricker pest control. After much trial and error (Orkin sucks) I found them to be the best. They keep my home 99.9% bug free. I find a bug every 6-8 months and it's always dead.

During the winter the bugs are mostly not an issue in general. I would say that bug season starts in May and ends in October.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 15,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The people who tell you "it's Florida, deal with it" are incorrect. You most certainly do NOT have to deal with any of these bug issues. The problem is you have not found the right pest control company. Call Rick Ricker pest control. After much trial and error (Orkin sucks) I found them to be the best. They keep my home 99.9% bug free. I find a bug every 6-8 months and it's always dead.

During the winter the bugs are mostly not an issue in general. I would say that bug season starts in May and ends in October.
Thanks for your reply. I will definitely look into them. None of my friends or family here have any of these issues so i really didn't think it was a "Florida thing". It seemed rather excessive especially considering we have a service and the house was bug bombed before we moved in since i wasn't sure how dirty the old tenants were. Turns out, they were disgusting. ..

Old 07-13-2016, 08:09 AM

440 posts, read 596,203 times
Yeah i'm having a cockroach problem myself, and have had pest control come twice in the past month or so to spray, but they still keep coming. I didn't have this problem in the winter, but soon as summer came i've been seeing them more and more, and it's not like i don't keep my place clean because i definitely do! I didn't have this problem when i lived in Rocky Point next to the water, but i think now that i live right next to the woods and near a couple lakes i'm getting all sorts of crazy critters but mostly cockroaches.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:10 AM

236 posts, read 251,528 times
Next rental, make sure the lease states that the landlord is responsible for pest control. Had a similar situation, in another state. Learned!

Old 07-14-2016, 02:50 AM

76 posts, read 108,644 times
I did some research, the Tampa Bay area is top in the country for cockroaches. Heck, there's even a place named Cockroach Bay! Go ahead, try and kill trillions of those bugs.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,334 times
Boric acid. Just buy a big 'ol bag online, sprinkle it around the baseboards, around the outside of the foundation, and under things in and out of the home. Unless you eat it or snort it, it won't hurt you, but will take care of the little creepies just fine.

Pest control companies are worse than the pests! They will under treat your home and you'll have to have them come back over and over again. They always push you into signing a long term contract too. I have lived in Florida for many years and don't think lawn spraying does anything, as the bugs and ants tend to live under the ground or in out of the way places. Make sure your home is clean inside and doesn't have sugar or other foods left out.

If all else fails, use this in all the little cracks and crevices along w/ the boric acid. Very little smell, and it has a residual effect that will last 30 days or more (unless washed off). If you have a lot of area, better to buy the large size in a container and mix it and apply it yourself w/ an inexpensive pump sprayer. Either way, this should take care of your problem and cost a lot less than the pest control companies. You have to allow a little time for things to work out, it won't happen overnight.

https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Press.../dp/B004HD14RE

Last edited by smarino; 07-16-2016 at 05:34 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 05:43 AM

473 posts, read 544,595 times
My wife and I were in the same position when we rented a house for a year before buying. The rental company (SunCove) took care of the lawn service , pool service and pest control.

That translated into a crappy looking lawn, barely usable pool and hot tub and yes, bugs, bugs, bugs. We saw the signs and flyers how pest company was there for service every few months but it was obvious they did nothing. I ended up treating for bugs myself using products from Lowes etc.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: