Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:11 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,416 times

Advertisements

Once you close your eyes while driving through St. Pete you can almost see the beauty. It looks like poo apart from the Old NorthEast. Love Trader Joe's there - a lot better than in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 03:40 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
Once you close your eyes while driving through St. Pete you can almost see the beauty. It looks like poo apart from the Old NorthEast. Love Trader Joe's there - a lot better than in Tampa.
Do you drive with your eyes closed very often?

Old 07-19-2016, 01:41 PM

261 posts, read 260,876 times
Pinellas is rough for motorists and pedestrians no matter how you look at. Palm Harbor is always at the high end of the pinellas rents so its mostly likely better to buy there. Mid County Pinellas is worse for traffic than North Pinellas but still very dangerous as US 19 in Palm Harbor is a nightmare. Palm Harbor is U Turn hell and a stronghold for pedestrian accidents.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:09 AM

45 posts, read 49,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Funny 17 years ago I chose Palm Harbor over Sarasota to raise my family...never regretted the choice...did a lot of research...the only crazy lines I experience in Publix is around holiday times and can easily be avoided...the north Pinellas area has thrived in the years we have been here...our first home in Waterford Crossing which we purchased in 1997(moved in 99) for 178k now sells for at least 200k more and usually in 3 weeks of listing...I agree with driving on the roads you listed above at rush hour are "horrendous" but don't really know where one commutes from suburb to major city isn't...
If you PAID 178K, and now you KNOW it's worth 200,000 DOLLARS MORE or $378,000 ??? My advice to you is to take the equity OUT of this non-liquid asset and put it in your damn pocket, and/or buy an income producing property with a portion of the cash. As a banker, I would never advise anyone to sit on that kind of equity in a "house". Plus, if you had a mortgage in 1997, that means your mortgage balance has been decreased for almost 20 years of payments, so you payoff is probably 30k or so?? Take the cash OUT of your illiquid asset. A house is not an investment any more, so you did good.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBad View Post
If you PAID 178K, and now you KNOW it's worth 200,000 DOLLARS MORE or $378,000 ??? My advice to you is to take the equity OUT of this non-liquid asset and put it in your damn pocket, and/or buy an income producing property with a portion of the cash. As a banker, I would never advise anyone to sit on that kind of equity in a "house". Plus, if you had a mortgage in 1997, that means your mortgage balance has been decreased for almost 20 years of payments, so you payoff is probably 30k or so?? Take the cash OUT of your illiquid asset. A house is not an investment any more, so you did good.
No we no longer own it! I sold the property in 1999 for 220K to by a house on the water...My current house now we have about 200K equity but it hasn't sold and while I don't need to make the entire 200k we would at least like to make 175K or we will hold onto for a while...

Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM

45 posts, read 49,811 times
Sell it now...cash is king...then go live "small"

Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM

53 posts, read 124,244 times
Thank you all for the responses!!

Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 PM

809 posts, read 746,842 times
Quote:
Sell it now...cash is king...then go live "small"
Cash is king? How much interest are you making on your truly secured cash? Me, about 1 percent from "high yielding" FDIC insured accounts.

There is value in not having a mortgage at even 3 percent. There is value in not renting and having someone (or some corporation) ruin your life.

I agree that you should have enough secure liquid assets to last you a few years. But if "live small" means living an unhappy life, take a risk and go bigger.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:42 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
I wouldn't touch St Petersburg, unless Tierra Verde, Isla or maybe Feather Sound. The other areas around PP, Largo Seminole can be real trash, not to mention South St Petersburg. Pass
This is highly biased. (Old NE or Snell Isle, Jungle Prada are nice too), so are many other areas in Mid-Pinellas, Belleair/Bluffs, West Seminole/Largo/unincorporated Pinellas, Oak Bluffs, Bardmoor/Lake Park/South of Park Blvd by Boca Ciega. Pretty much anything close to the beach on both sides. It seems you don't know the area well.

Sarasota has nice areas but also some that are similar to Mid-Pinellas; it's pretty much everywhere, you gotta look for the pockets of nice neighborhoods or be on the beach.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:33 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
This is highly biased. (Old NE or Snell Isle, Jungle Prada are nice too), so are many other areas in Mid-Pinellas, Belleair/Bluffs, West Seminole/Largo/unincorporated Pinellas, Oak Bluffs, Bardmoor/Lake Park/South of Park Blvd by Boca Ciega. Pretty much anything close to the beach on both sides. It seems you don't know the area well.

Sarasota has nice areas but also some that are similar to Mid-Pinellas; it's pretty much everywhere, you gotta look for the pockets of nice neighborhoods or be on the beach.
Check out Snell isle, snell shores - not sure what it's called really. Awesome location and affordable good homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay