Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyriche View Post
I read that Lutz is a nice area. There is a school there that was featured in Southern Living Magazine...Learning Gate Community school. How far of a commute is Lutz? I looked on Realtor.com and was able to find homes in our price range (although I don't know how the builders manage to squeeze 4 bedrooms out of such minimal square footage). I think the previous advice about getting a realtor is the way to go, I've just heard that they are not allowed to tell you about the schools, is that true?
Hi Jennie,

Lutz is probably less than 15 miles but the commute time will be approximately 45 minutes to downtown depending on the time of day. It's a broad area though, you might want to do a mapquest directions from zips 33548, 33549, 33556, 33557, 33559 (all Lutz) to downtown 33602. Lutz is in Northwest Hillsborough County very near the Pasco County Line. Learning Gate Academy is on Hanna Road (zip 33549) and would be convenient to I-275 for the commuter. Learning Gate is also expanding. Lutz isn't for everybody, but I like it; I've lived in nearby Carrollwood for a long time. It's still rural, but that's slowly changing.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-19-2008 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
If youre looking to go further from Tampa, try Parrish. Im not sure what the commute would be like though thats the only problem. Its a growing area. Like your family, my husband took a HUGE pay cut when we moved here- over 50%. I knew I'd have to go back to work and we'd be limited on our budget. It was worth it though, We are looking to Parrish for the cheap homes and rural like area..

Old 05-05-2008, 08:03 PM

29 posts, read 122,843 times
Wesley Chapel would be a difficult commute. Have you considered Lutz(33558)? I live in Heritage Harbor and I can tell you firsthand that it is a child-friendly family community, although there are no age restrictions. It consists of predominantly young families and it is a very safe neighborhood. I have three children ranging in ages from 7-12 years old and we love living here. Our home has a pool but my children love going to the community pool because of the "cool slide" and all the other children they meet there. My children also have friends that live in the neighboring communities of Cheval(upscale) and Villarosa(no community pool) who love to visit at our home because of all the fun things to do here. We have tennis courts, volleyball and basketball courts, there is also a tot lot, small hockey rink, clubhouse, restaurant and small gym and golf course. We pay $110 a month for our HOA fee and we feel it is inexpensive for everything you have access to. Our HOA fee is also less expensive than other planned communities. About once a month there is an organized community event, such as concerts at the pool, community garage sales, Easter egg hunts, Breakfast with Santa, Holiday parties at the pool with live bands and barbecue for 4th of July, Memorial Day, etc. Our clubhouse also has an onsite afterschool program called SRK camp and during the summer they have full-day and half-day camps. Residents have priority enrollment and it is very convenient for working parents to have an afterschool/camp program located so close to home.
Our schools are A+ schools and consistently rank in the top ten of Hillsborough County Schools. Our elementary school McKitrick ranks in the top 7 and the middle school ranks in the top 3 middle schools for Hillsborough County. Currently there is a new high school being built which is slated to open for the 2009 school year. I believe it will be named Steinbrenner High School(for George Steinbrenner of the NY Yankees), which I am sure will be in the top 3 high schools for Hillsborough County. There is a lot of money being pumped into that school so I am sure it will be exceptional. I read a post which stated Pasco county schools were better than Hillsborough county and that is utterly ridiculous. Check out Greatschools.net for the statistics.
As far as the commute, we are only a few minutes from the Veterans Expressway which takes you downtown and there is currently construction underway for another entrance ramp right on Lutz Lake Fern road near the new high school.
There are many good deals right now in Heritage Harbor and the neighboring community of Villarosa , so you should have no trouble finding exactly what you want. I think you and your children will enjoy living in this area.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 PM

76 posts, read 331,345 times
Ybor City or Seminole Heights would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay