Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,621 times

Advertisements

Hello-My husband just got a new job which will relocate us to Tampa, currently we are in Jacksonville. I know absolutely nothing about the area. We have 3 children, ages 9, 3, and 2. My husband is taking a huge pay cut, and so we are needing to downsize a bit, so I realize we probably will not be able to afford to live close to downtown. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good area that is not too far of a commute, where you can find a 4 bedroom house for $200,000 or less. We have our oldest in private school school now, but would like to be able to save on the tuition. Are there any area's with good public schools? Wesley Chapel was an area that was mentioned to me, and it looks affordable, is this a good area? Is it very far from the city? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Where is your DH working? If it is downtown the commute to WC is going to be at least 45min or longer normally.
Schools in WC are good as in New Tampa..

Find an area and then ask here. We have some of the most helpful posters in all of City-data

Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Default he'll be all over Tampa

My DH is a project manager for a civil construction company, which means just about anywhere you see new roads, or construction on roads, is where he'll be working. He'll be moving around, but it will always be right around downtown. I know that is vague, but that is the nature of the job. 45 min. is really too long of a commute. I don't know how to go about researching other area's, and since he leaves next week and will be in a hotel until I find something, I need to find something quick. Is New Tampa expensive? Like I said, we need to stay at $200 K or less for a home. This is a very sudden move obviously.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 AM

24 posts, read 103,549 times
Try Ruskin, Apollo Beach area toward I75 and Gibsonton areas on up to Zepherhills area. Traffic will be about the same as around Jacksonville all over. I have been in both towns.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:26 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgian View Post
Try Ruskin, Apollo Beach area toward I75 and Gibsonton areas on up to Zepherhills area. Traffic will be about the same as around Jacksonville all over. I have been in both towns.
Good choices, except do NOT go to Zephyrhills - this commute is even further than Wesley Chapel! The commute from suburbs to the NORTH of downtown is by far worse than any, we know because we lived there. Stay to the south and east, you might also check out Brandon, Valrico and Riverview areas. Even though Brandon is congested, there is a new overpass for the Leroy Selmon Expressway which moves traffic nicely during high traffic hours. Lots of developments in Brandon, too, you can probably find what you are looking for.

Even so, keep in mind there just will be NO really short commute from any suburbs.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 PM

367 posts, read 1,687,604 times
If he is close to downtown and is ok up to 45 mins then consider pinellas county, there are areas with great schools and you can get to downtown in 45 minutes.
However, the north tampa areas are good too, commute times are probably similar as are any residential places a little farther out.
Get a realtor working for you to sift out homes in your price range that fit the bill for driving for your husband and criteria for your children. Try and avoid subdivs with high HOA fees, get in a neighborhood with good schools, check the current rules for getting into Hillsborough and Pinellas county schools, one is choice, one is changing from choice and will go back to more local catchment area schools (apparently!). Choice has been controversial, as not every got their 'choice'.

Also try and avoid flood plain/zone homes to keep ins costs down, they are not all coastal, some flood zones are inland. good luck to you with the move

Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 AM

15 posts, read 48,481 times
It's going to be hard to find something halfway decent with 4 bedrooms for your price range in an area with less than a 45 min commute. In your price range I would try the Brandon, Riverview area. Wesley Chapel is going to be more than 200,000.00. South Tampa is going to be way over your price range, even now with the market the way it is. You might try Pinellas county (St. Pete area). Just have to be selective in the areas because some are not great! I know, I live there. If you look in Pinellas stay away from the south side! Anything north of Central Ave is OK. Just have to explore the neighborhood and streets to see which ones are good and not so good. NE side of Pinellas is nice but, can be pricey. Kenwood is nice but, pricey as well. I live next to Kenwood and it's not bad and the price was great. If your into re-modeling then the area is ideal because you get a great price and "potential equity" (now days) once you fix it up. (Give it a couple of years). Downtown Tampa homes and condo's are way out of the 200,000 price range and if you do find something in that price range in that area you wouldn't want to live there especially with kids. Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Default thanks for all the help...what about Lutz

I read that Lutz is a nice area. There is a school there that was featured in Southern Living Magazine...Learning Gate Community school. How far of a commute is Lutz? I looked on Realtor.com and was able to find homes in our price range (although I don't know how the builders manage to squeeze 4 bedrooms out of such minimal square footage). I think the previous advice about getting a realtor is the way to go, I've just heard that they are not allowed to tell you about the schools, is that true?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 PM

141 posts, read 754,333 times
Not sure about the realtor situation, but for 200,000 you can actually get a really nice house in Wesley Chapel. With the market the way it is now, prices have just come to an all time low, so you can pretty much find a great deal in any neighborhood! One neighborhood that has many houses below 200,000 with 1800+ sq is bridgewater, which is off of wells road and curley road in wesley chapel. The commute is around 45 min, but its totally worth it to live in wesley chapel. They're getting sooo many new stores and such everytime I go out there, there's something new!! =D

I wouldn't look into the apollo beach/riverview area too much, there's not much of anything out that way. Except in Brandon. But IMO brandon has become a little wishy washy in recent years.

Definately do not even bother looking into St. Pete. The commute into Tampa is a NIGHTMARE during peak hours due to the congestion on the howard frankland.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times
Wink Look anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
Not sure about the realtor situation, but for 200,000 you can actually get a really nice house in Wesley Chapel. With the market the way it is now, prices have just come to an all time low, so you can pretty much find a great deal in any neighborhood! One neighborhood that has many houses below 200,000 with 1800+ sq is bridgewater, which is off of wells road and curley road in wesley chapel. The commute is around 45 min, but its totally worth it to live in wesley chapel. They're getting sooo many new stores and such everytime I go out there, there's something new!! =D

I wouldn't look into the apollo beach/riverview area too much, there's not much of anything out that way. Except in Brandon. But IMO brandon has become a little wishy washy in recent years.

Definately do not even bother looking into St. Pete. The commute into Tampa is a NIGHTMARE during peak hours due to the congestion on the howard frankland.
Check out the Riverview area, below the town, in the Big Bend Rt 301 area. Lots of sub-divisions and the builders are giving very good bargins here. And yes, their still building down here. Your are going against the traffic flow to Tampa from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay