Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:18 PM

82 posts, read 70,366 times

Advertisements

We live in Land O' Lakes (near Connerton) in a 2 story house. We have Verizon for our provider and when we use our phones (downstairs) our calls always drop. Ugh! It's so frustrating!

I don't have issues when I use my phone upstairs or outside.

Is an area wide type issue or more isolated in certain locations? OR does it happen more so with 2 story houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:20 PM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
Although I am not in Florida, I have similar issues. Verizon phones now allow Wifi calling. This allows you to bypass their lame network and make VOIP (Internet) calls when you are within Wifi range. Try enabling Wifi calling if your phone supports it.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Very few phones on Verizon support wi-fi calling. This is one area where they lag behind other providers big time. I have VZ and have similar issues.

Verizon sells network extenders. Basically it's a device plugs into your own router and becomes your own private 4G cell tower giving you cell signal throughout your house.

They get like $249 a piece for them, but I have heard of people complaining and threatening to cancel getting them for free.

Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender - Verizon Wireless

Old 07-12-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Very few phones on Verizon support wi-fi calling. This is one area where they lag behind other providers big time. I have VZ and have similar issues.

Verizon sells network extenders. Basically it's a device plugs into your own router and becomes your own private 4G cell tower giving you cell signal throughout your house.

They get like $249 a piece for them, but I have heard of people complaining and threatening to cancel getting them for free.

Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender - Verizon Wireless
See, that is hog wash! Why should I have to pay $249 for an extender when we already pay $289/mo for our cell phone bill? They make me want to switch, but then I don't know if AT&T is any better, kwim? (I know, I'm preaching to the choir). I'm going to try enabling the wifi calling feature on my phone and see if that helps before I have to make some heads roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
Although I am not in Florida, I have similar issues. Verizon phones now allow Wifi calling. This allows you to bypass their lame network and make VOIP (Internet) calls when you are within Wifi range. Try enabling Wifi calling if your phone supports it.
It was REALLY bad when we lived in IN. I've tried the whole wifi thing in the past and I don't think it made that big of a difference. I haven't tried it since we moved here, so I'll give it another whirl.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:53 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColS View Post
See, that is hog wash! Why should I have to pay $249 for an extender when we already pay $289/mo for our cell phone bill? They make me want to switch, but then I don't know if AT&T is any better, kwim? (I know, I'm preaching to the choir). I'm going to try enabling the wifi calling feature on my phone and see if that helps before I have to make some heads roll.

It was REALLY bad when we lived in IN. I've tried the whole wifi thing in the past and I don't think it made that big of a difference. I haven't tried it since we moved here, so I'll give it another whirl.
True...

In many areas, spotty reception is simply because of a lack of towers nearby. You can thank the NIMBY folks for that.

Regarding the extender, I personally know someone who got one for free by threatening to cancel and leave because they had no service inside their home. They have four phones on the account and are a 20-year customer, so maybe that's why VZ coughed up a free unit. I've read similar stories online as well.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Republic Wireless is all about WIFI calling. https://republicwireless.com/?gclid=...r1yxoCVrTw_wcB

Old 07-13-2016, 05:44 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
What kind of phone do you have? It comes down to frequencies Verizon does voice @1900 or 800, while their lte is 700mhz odds are LTE has better building penetration than voice, on iPhone 6 Verizon does volte voice over LTE you would most likely get better performance than the voice network, at least from what you are describing. Eventually volte will get rolled out to other phones meanwhile you can also get a BDA it's a device that repeats the RF, is a little box it has an indoor and and outdoor antenna.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014...jeL&ref=plSrch

Old 07-13-2016, 05:55 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
If you end up not being able to get WiFi calling working on all of your phones, I have one of the Verizon network extenders that I needed at my previous house just sitting in a drawer, id be willing to let it go for a good price ( I had to buy it for the 250 bucks, I couldn't get a free one out of them )

Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 AM

182 posts, read 170,847 times
Many new construction homes were built with a radiant heat shield, which helps keep out the heat, but also blocks cell phone signal.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
Many new construction homes were built with a radiant heat shield, which helps keep out the heat, but also blocks cell phone signal.
This is what we have, I believe. We are renting and I remember her saying something about the roof being special to keep heat out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay