Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 05:57 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,990 times

Advertisements

Obama Care passed and now, no one can get a full time job. Corporations love the law, they don't have to pay health care. only 25 hours max. Thank you, not, democrats you were the only ones who voted for Obama Care. Not one Republican voted for this, because they knew the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 06:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Obama Care passed and now, no one can get a full time job. Corporations love the law, they don't have to pay health care. only 25 hours max. Thank you, not, democrats you were the only ones who voted for Obama Care. Not one Republican voted for this, because they knew the truth.
Republicans didnt vote for it because it would hurt campaign and lobbyist money flow.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Republicans didnt vote for it because it would hurt campaign and lobbyist money flow.
Since you appear to be knowledgeable, what was motivator for Democrats to vote for it?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:47 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Since you appear to be knowledgeable, what was motivator for Democrats to vote for it?
Probably because it was a good thing for many millions of Americans who could not get healthcare insurance due to pre-existing conditions, reduced the number of people who were forced into bankruptcy due to their inability to pay the bills for healthcare, increases access to care by making it impossible for insurers to put caps on the limits they would pay when a policy holders care became very costly among many other positive attributes and that this country needed to overhaul the healthcare industry so it works for people.

Not because of their mis-guided hatred of the POTUS.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Probably because it was a good thing for many millions of Americans who could not get healthcare insurance due to pre-existing conditions, reduced the number of people who were forced into bankruptcy due to their inability to pay the bills for healthcare, increases access to care by making it impossible for insurers to put caps on the limits they would pay when a policy holders care became very costly among many other positive attributes and that this country needed to overhaul the healthcare industry so it works for people.

Not because of their mis-guided hatred of the POTUS.
Thanks for your insights... however I guess the execution didn't really follow the intentions then as what they've created has been far from affordable. Premiums are already high for those who need to use the market (I joined them this past year as I took early retirement - so I get to speak as someone paying for coverage through the ACA). Premiums are projected to go up by next year (and have done so each of the previous years), Illinois by as much as 45%, Michigan by 17%, California by 13%, Missouri by 16%, and some providers have decided not to even be in the market including Humana that is selectively going to only be in 11 states for 2017 (a drop from 19) and UnitedHealthCare which is leaving the Florida market in 2017.

I guess it's just a common theme of Democrats shoving crap down the throats of the American public without care or concern as to the execution or actual impact. Indeed the health care industry needs an overhaul, but they didn't really touch the healthcare industry (and where they did the industry has made changes to their structure to mitigate the impact. ACA has a purpose and it's something I could back, but not in it's current format and structure.

To be back on topic, these actions contribute to the low/lower pay and un/under employment as companies adjust their workforce accordingly to avoid having to offer medical benefits.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:04 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
As someone who is dealing with a major medical issue right now, I can't begin to imagine how people deal with this sort of thing without major medical insurance. We have already reached our max out of pocket for the year, meaning we're paying literally nothing from this point going forward. For someone who is paying out of pocket or who has lousy coverage, you could understand how quickly the expenses could destroy you financially.

Something has got to be done in this regard for the well being of the populace.

Insurance and health care providers are driven by profit, which is the major force behind our out of control medical costs. That and the absolutely insane pricing arrangements. A recent procedure was billed at nearly $20,000, yet the negotiated amount between the provider and insurer was only $2,000, or 10% of the bill that was presented. So who pays or gets billed for the $20,000? People who can't pay it.

We need to go to socialized medicine or a not for profit model of some sort. I have no problem paying higher taxes for medical care. As long as those providing it are driven by profits or have to answer to stockholders, the system will only benefit them, not the people who need care.

RM

Old 08-04-2016, 07:48 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
The problem I see, along the lines of the continued promises of free college education - who/what is going to pay the salaries, pay for the land/buildings, equipment, and upkeep? College professors aren't going to work for free, and neither are doctors, nurses, x-ray techs, and such. I've got three nurses in my family, including my wife. Yes, they make good salaries. But, it's tough work, physically demanding with difficult schedules. If the money wasn't there, they wouldn't be doing it any longer.

I don't disagree that there are outrageous things happening and that things do need to change both in the medical and educational fields. I just don't see all of these pie-in-the-sky promises making the transition to reality as there are too many competing special interests.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The problem I see, along the lines of the continued promises of free college education - who/what is going to pay the salaries, pay for the land/buildings, equipment, and upkeep? College professors aren't going to work for free, and neither are doctors, nurses, x-ray techs, and such. I've got three nurses in my family, including my wife. Yes, they make good salaries. But, it's tough work, physically demanding with difficult schedules. If the money wasn't there, they wouldn't be doing it any longer.

I don't disagree that there are outrageous things happening and that things do need to change both in the medical and educational fields. I just don't see all of these pie-in-the-sky promises making the transition to reality as there are too many competing special interests.
As a father who's son has a premature baby, born 3 months early, I can really appreciate the value of insurance coverage. Fortunately son has good job with great benefits (working for a not for profit none the less). I also appreciate the value of the skilled nurses and doctors, but I'd submit they make a good living, but they are not the bain of the cost of sky high insurance.

The intent of ACA is admirable, the plan and execution just plain sucks. To address your main point, it's not the doctors and teachers who need to take a cut or be eliminated, it's the executives. Case in point, Blue Cross CEO's took $102 Million in compensation in 2014. That's for 33 CEO's, therefore averaging $3 Million each, WOW! CFO took home $2.8 Million in compensation.

Another example, Humana's CEO made $10.3M in compensation for 2015. As that article also states,
Quote:
"In light of the pending merger between Humana and Hartford, Conn.-based Aetna, recent documents from the Securities and Exchange Commission show Mr. Broussard may receive up to $40.2 million if his position is taken away, according to the report."
Further, Humana's other exec's rolled in the dough too -> COO made $3.5 million, CFO made $2.3 million and the Chief HR officer also claimed $2.3 Million.

Since the Humana article mentions Aetna, let's be sure to then point out that their CEO took home $17.3 million in compensation for 2015.

See where my line of reasoning is going???? The amount that health insurance executives take as compensation is just mind boggling. The doctors, nurses and other medical staff don't have to be impacted by a solid ACA program, there's plenty of benefits to be realized just by eliminating the exec's compensation by creating a central (aka socialized) program.

The compensation raping isn't as severe by college Presidents, but they do take home quite a bundle with Robert Zimmer, President of University of Chicago raking in $3.5 million in compensation. Here's the top 10 highest paid private college presidents. And sure, there are professors who are raping the college's, here's the top 10 highest paid professors in the US. These heavyweights can take a haircut on their salaries, but the 99% of other professors in college that make a reasonable wage wouldn't need to be impacted and we'd have the same level of experience and knowledge educating our sons and daughters.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:34 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilson80 View Post
Currently, I bring home about $2112.00 after taxes per month and my rent is $900 (due to a month-to-month lease, trying to relocate to a different state), not to mention my other expenses. Unfortunately, I cannot work a part-time job because aside from working full-time, I am a full-time college student as well. I just wanted to know if anyone else is barely making it on the dismal salaries here in Tampa?
I got a college degree, and a skill (or a few) that pay higher than $10 an hour....

Old 08-04-2016, 10:18 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
As a father who's son has a premature baby, born 3 months early, I can really appreciate the value of insurance coverage. Fortunately son has good job with great benefits (working for a not for profit none the less). I also appreciate the value of the skilled nurses and doctors, but I'd submit they make a good living, but they are not the bain of the cost of sky high insurance.
I can appreciate it as well, for the same reasons. My niece (who is actually visiting as I type this) was born at 22 weeks back in 2008. I bet we can tell similar stores. She spent the first eight months of her life in the hospital before actually getting to come home for the first time. It's been so long that I forget how many millions the total bill was for everything involved.

Quote:
The intent of ACA is admirable, the plan and execution just plain sucks. To address your main point, it's not the doctors and teachers who need to take a cut or be eliminated, it's the executives. Case in point, Blue Cross CEO's took $102 Million in compensation in 2014. That's for 33 CEO's, therefore averaging $3 Million each, WOW! CFO took home $2.8 Million in compensation.

Another example, Humana's CEO made $10.3M in compensation for 2015. As that article also states,
Further, Humana's other exec's rolled in the dough too -> COO made $3.5 million, CFO made $2.3 million and the Chief HR officer also claimed $2.3 Million.

Since the Humana article mentions Aetna, let's be sure to then point out that their CEO took home $17.3 million in compensation for 2015.

See where my line of reasoning is going???? The amount that health insurance executives take as compensation is just mind boggling. The doctors, nurses and other medical staff don't have to be impacted by a solid ACA program, there's plenty of benefits to be realized just by eliminating the exec's compensation by creating a central (aka socialized) program.
I couldn't agree more regarding the debacle that is Obamacare. But, who are we kidding? If there's any kind of, ahem, "reform" that is done, we all know who's going to take it on the chin. It's not going to be anyone you describe above making all those millions. It's going to be the people working for a living. Just like in any other industry, if cuts are made, the sacrifice is going to be made by the folks closer to the bottom than at the top. Unfortunately, that's just the reality of it.

Speaking of reality, a vast number of the medical advances we now enjoy have been brought about by the pursuit of profit. If you take the money out of the equation there goes all of the private research that's being done by drug companies, etc.

Insurance companies aren't the sum of the problem in regards to out medical system, a gigantic part of it, definitely.

Quote:
The compensation raping isn't as severe by college Presidents, but they do take home quite a bundle with Robert Zimmer, President of University of Chicago raking in $3.5 million in compensation. Here's the top 10 highest paid private college presidents. And sure, there are professors who are raping the college's, here's the top 10 highest paid professors in the US. These heavyweights can take a haircut on their salaries, but the 99% of other professors in college that make a reasonable wage wouldn't need to be impacted and we'd have the same level of experience and knowledge educating our sons and daughters.
The big problem with this kind of discussion is this - who are we to dictate what any one person should make that's an employee of a private company? Where does the authority come from for the government to do such a thing? If that kind of authority is somehow bestowed on the government (either by legislation or an activist judiciary), where does it stop? The amount of money pro athletes make is mind boggling. Do we put a stop to that? How about a CEO in another industry? Do we start dictating what the CEO of Microsoft how much they should be getting paid? Who defines what is a "reasonable wage" and what is not? What is the criteria?

I don't see socialized medicine ever becoming a reality in this country, for a vast number of reasons. The biggest reason is that if you want something to be completely and utterly screwed up, putting the government in charge is the best way to accomplish that goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay