Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:03 PM

10 posts, read 8,266 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am trying to decide on an area to purchase a home in. We live in Pinellas County now and don't like it at all. Without getting into details, just not a place we want to raise a family anymore. I have elementary aged kids so I am worried most about the elementary and middle schools in the area. Low crime, family oriented, that sort of thing. We work in S Tampa and Sarasota so we are trying to find something that will be somewhat in the middle as hard as that might be. Looking for a 4 bedroom under $300k with a decent yard. We have considered parts of Riverview/Valrico which is a lot further from Sarasota but there are multiple good school choices. We went and looked a little bit in Apollo Beach this weekend, which has nice houses and two good schools but doesn't seem to be anything nearby like shopping centers/restaurants etc. Also thinking about maybe Palmetto but seems like the only good area/school is east of the interstate.

Anyone have any ideas or feedback on any of the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 01:04 PM

5,914 posts, read 7,260,945 times
With all the development taking place, have you considered Riverview? It would be closer to I-75 and quicker to get to Sarasota.

RM

Old 08-03-2016, 05:46 AM

49 posts, read 46,801 times
I would say Brandon maybe. Close to 75 to get to Sarasota, the crosstown to get to s. Tampa, and has a lot of restaurants and the Brandon mall.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:11 AM

I personally think I like Panther Trace in Riverview the most. But it is an hour drive for him to get to work in Sarasota. I went and looked around Palmetto and the Northeast side seems nice but I have heard a lot of bad things about Palmetto. Not sure if that extends to all of Palmetto of just the south end.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 AM

5,914 posts, read 7,260,945 times
Isn't there some development taking place down around Parrish? That would be splitting the difference somewhat.

RM

Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 AM

201 posts, read 236,043 times
Yes, the Brandon/Riverview area that is close to Bloomingdale Ave/301 - you'll be close to the Crosstown to get into Tampa (prob. 15 min) and close to I-75 to get to Sarasota where you'll be going opposite to the commuters to get to Sarasota. All 3 schools for that area are A rated.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:53 AM

I have actually just been doing my research on Parrish. Anyone familiar with the area? It's further for me for work being further from the interstate but seems like good size houses for the price and more family friendly than the areas of Palmetto I looked at.

You think that the drive from Riverview to Sarasota would be not too bad? He drives from Pinellas to Sarasota and back every day and it usually takes him about an hour, even longer when they close the bridge and he has to go around.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:17 PM

201 posts, read 236,043 times
Be sure to check the rating of the schools in Parrish.

>>You think that the drive from Riverview to Sarasota would be not too bad? He drives from Pinellas to Sarasota and back every day and it usually takes him about an hour, even longer when they close the bridge and he has to go around.<<

Since you'll be going to Sarasota against the commuter traffic it should not be too bad.

Apollo Beach is lacking the many shops and restaurants like there are in, say, Brandon, but this means there's less traffic to contend with. The nearest mall would be the one in Brandon, but there are plans for a mall at the intersection of 75 and Big Bend ... when, is anyone's guess.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM

131 posts, read 138,846 times
Elevation is a major factor in Apollo Beach, the rising cost of flood insurance would be mandatory. The highest points are along the Tamiami trail, which rise to about 10 feet, the average is 3 feet above sea level.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenme View Post
Elevation is a major factor in Apollo Beach, the rising cost of flood insurance would be mandatory. The highest points are along the Tamiami trail, which rise to about 10 feet, the average is 3 feet above sea level.
That crossed my mind and then I forgot about it. Where I was looking was near Doby Elementary in Covington Park, which I had thought might be far enough inland to not need flood insurance but I haven't looked into it. Thanks for bringing it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay