U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:07 PM

384 posts, read 2,065,648 times

Advertisements

What are the best schools in Land O' Lake and Lutz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM

11 posts, read 25,572 times
Default LOL or Lutz commute

How far/long is the commute from Lutz to the airport area? Is that just not feasible?

we have been thinking about Safety Harbor and Palm Harbor but are quite concerned about the school availability because of the change from the Choice program and the grandfathered kids filling up the desks.

Maybe we should look in Lutz as well?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,680,350 times
If you live in Lutz just off the veterans, travel is a breeze to the airport IF you are in off-peak hours. There are lots of houses within a min or two off the dale mabry vet's exit, and they're building a new one off of Lutz Lake Fern rd. Just depends on what you're looking for in a house!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:21 PM

38 posts, read 100,507 times
Default Land O Lakes or Lutz

I have lived in Tampa and land o lakes. I have to say although you pay a little more taxes in Hillsborough county. I truly believe the schools are better. land O Lakes is okay; but I have had nothing but trouble with the schools. If your kids are the typical student then they might do fine. My kids are gifted but the school refuses to test them because they have a quota. I neve had this type of issues with Hillsborough schools. So definetly consider Lutz, it is quite nice. If looking in land o Lakes stay away from Dupree Gardens community built by Beazer. A very shady community myself and other families have left the communities due to builder issues and how shady the community itself is. To verify check out Beazer online they have lots of consumer complaints.
Be carefull florida tends to attack alot of shady individuals.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 PM

21 posts, read 57,735 times
I would have to say Lutz, only because I am not too familiar with LOL.

We live in Lutz and our son attends elementary school and we love the school and the teachers. Our daughter graduated from Sickles 3 years ago and the teachers where great. She is now in her 3rd yr of college (LOL) and is studying to be a teacher.

It is a buyers market now and I am sure you can get a great deal on a nice home w/pool and close to school.

We build our home just over 5 years ago in a small subdivision in Lutz (close to the Veterans Expressway and Dale Mabry - 45 minutes commute to Clearwater during rush hour) and we have no regrets

If you have any questions feel free to DM me.

T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyriche View Post
I've narrowed it down to these two area's. Since I have 3 children and am a stay at home mom, schools and a community feel are the most important things to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM

29 posts, read 114,026 times
I would go with Lutz over LOL. The schools in Lutz(zipcode 33558) are much better and it has a less rural feel than LOL. Check Greatschools.net for school statistics.
I live in Heritage Harbor and I can tell you firsthand that it is a child-friendly family community. It consists of predominantly young families and it is a very safe neighborhood. I have three children ranging in ages from 7-12 years old and we love living here. Our home has a pool but my children love going to the community pool because of the "cool slide" and all the other children they meet there. My children also have friends that live in the neighboring communities of Cheval(upscale) and Villarosa(no community pool) who love to visit at our home because of all the fun things to do here. We have tennis courts, volleyball and basketball courts, there is also a tot lot, small hockey rink, clubhouse, restaurant and small gym and golf course. We pay $110 a month for our HOA fee and we feel it is inexpensive for everything you have access to. Our HOA fee is also less expensive than other planned communities. About once a month there is an organized community event, such as concerts at the pool, community garage sales, Easter egg hunts, Breakfast with Santa, Holiday parties at the pool with live bands and barbecue for 4th of July, Memorial Day, etc. Our clubhouse also has an onsite afterschool program called SRK camp and during the summer they have full-day and half-day camps. Residents have priority enrollment.
Our schools are A+ schools and consistently rank in the top ten of Hillsborough County Schools. Our elementary school McKitrick ranks in the top 7 and the middle school ranks in the top 3 middle schools for Hillsborough County. Currently there is a new high school being built which is slated to open for the 2009 school year. I believe it will be named Steinbrenner High School(for George Steinbrenner of the NY Yankees), which I am sure will be in the top 3 high schools for Hillsborough County. There is a lot of money being pumped into that school so I am sure it will be exceptional. I read a post which stated Pasco county schools were better than Hillsborough county and that is utterly ridiculous. Check out Greatschools.net for the statistics.
As far as the commute, we are only a few minutes from the Veterans Expressway which takes you downtown and there is currently construction underway for another entrance ramp right on Lutz Lake Fern road near the new high school.
There are many good deals right now in Heritage Harbor and the neighboring communites of Villarosa and Cheval, so you should have no trouble finding exactly what you want. I think you and your children will enjoy living in this area.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,306 times
How is the commute from Lutz to the VA Medical Center in Tampa? I might end up working there. I'd have regular hours, 8:00-4:30.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 PM

29 posts, read 114,026 times
I believe it would be apporx. 10-12 miles, depending on where in Lutz you lived. My guess on a commute time would be approx. 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,539 times
Talking Considering Relocation to Lutz area

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I really like Lutz. There are a number of established communities with no HOAs or CDDs. Then there are new communities. There's a brand new high school being built there, and a new Veteran's offramp will be in place on Lutz Lake Fern Rd. I live quite close to the down line and was building a new house there until we found out we are relocating to NC in June. My kids play ball at Lutz Little League and love it. Lake Park is quite nice. Overall, its my favorite town by far in the North Tampa area--beats New Tampa, LandOLakes, and Wesley Chapel hands down. Feel free to pm if you want more info
You seem very knowledgeable about the Lutz area. I'm considering a move from up here in Delaware. I have children of ages 16, 13 and 11. How are the schools? Is there public water/sewer? Why is Lutz better than WC in your opinion?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 26,945 times
Please...what are hoa's and ccd's? Thank you, Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay