Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
we are in the same boat. We don't like our lifestyles where we live. But know that we'll still have "life" whereever we live. As for job market, I'd like more specific information. As in, professional vs. entry level. HR, law, waitressing jobs. I'm a legal secretary, how about you?
Actually, Tampa does have a lot of law firms. A legal secretary could do well. I hear HR is a growing industry, but there are not many big companies down here. However, one company, Ceridian, is an HR outsource service with headquarters here. There are many entry level jobs, but the cieling seems low for professionals. Hospitality jobs are plentiful, that's one thing we do have. We've relied heavily on real estate and construction... it will be interesting to see how we come out this mess as the market corrects itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbostont View Post
I think that most people today move where the job is...not because they want too. It's not like the old days when you grew up in an area, worked at the job for 50 years and then retired in the same house that your parents bought in 1925. Now days corporations don't have any loyalty to you and in turn the employees don't have any loyalty to the corporations. This in turn brings me to my original statement. Most people move because they have to not because they want to. I have moved from OKC to Austin to Tampa and now I'm interviewing in SC because there is nothing here for me in my profession. Once you reach a certain salary and age you have a number of years experience in what you do and it's just not easy to find something next door doing the same thing. So I am one of those that out of every place I've lived Tampa Bay is by far my favorite, but there is still some screwed up stuff here that you just don't find anywhere else.
so true--especially the last sentence!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
Athorson---

I think you speak like someone who KNOWS what cold is- Originally from Chicago, I also know what a true winter is like. A cold so freeezing that you cannot feel your face, and the stinging of that -30 wind chilll-- NO thanks! I'll take a day on the sun any day over that. Not to mention solid ice streets and dull dreary fall and spring days.. Some people don't really know what cold is. When it's 50, we are used to grilling out and driving with our windows down, people here think thats cold! Although, 2 years here and my blood is already thinning out (and I always was a freezy cat!) LOL LOL

Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 PM

35 posts, read 190,018 times
Thumbs down Coming Here to be "Warm"

It's not warm here, it's sweltering hot! If you are tired of the extreme northern states, why make such a drastic change to come to the extreme south? Why not choose a state that has the four seasons, but doesn't get as cold or as much snow? Let's face it, Florida is ugly, except for the beaches (if you like the beach). Skinny slash pines, scrawny palm trees and scrub, and almost completely flat. Roads in dire need of repair and acres of pavement, strip malls and fast food places. They keep encouraging us to conserve water, they've told us that since the 1970s, but they don't stop developing. They let the developers build without improving the infrastructure of the roads, resulting in the current traffic mess. Now they want to build a new baseball stadium on the waterfront in St. Petersburg - when the one they already have is less than 20 years old, partially paid for by the taxpayers. Guess who's going to get stuck with the bill for the new one, if it gets approved?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
FL doesn't get as hot as the northern states in the summer. Try hi 90's and 100's. You don't see that here. And yes, they have the humidty also. Every comes here and complains. It's not Florida, it's the people!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 AM

35 posts, read 190,018 times
Default Hot summers up north

My point is the summers don't last as long up north. Here they can be from April to November. Ninety degree heat with no let-up (except for the rain showers, then when the sun comes back out, it's twice as miserable.) I'm sorry northerners, don't tell me about the heat up north. You start getting cool weather in late August, early September.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 37,919 times
[quote=anywherebutpinellas;2918692]My point is the summers don't last as long up north. Here they can be from April to November. Ninety degree heat with no let-up (except for the rain showers, then when the sun comes back out, it's twice as miserable.) I'm sorry northerners, don't tell me about the heat up north. You start getting cool weather in late August, early Sept

the weather up north sucks. You go from winter where its cold everyday from november till mid march, then you go through have 2 days in the 60's to having a week in the 20's or 30's...its very frustrating. Then in the summer, which i love, you have 85 to 100 degree weather everyday. Heck, last summer it was over 90 degrees for like 32 straight days in Cincinnati...thaats worse than most summers, but its still usually really hot in the summers here....We honestly get about 3 months a yr of comfortable weather thats neither hot nor cold, then another 2 months where it goes from warm and nice one day to freezing cold the next.....weather is an issue anywhere you live...

Old 02-25-2008, 05:38 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,384 times
I'm moving away from Tampa, because of the weather.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 AM

265 posts, read 664,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
It's different! ust a thought.. so many people come here with the preconcieved notion that they are moving to Paradise. All the East coasters and Midwesterners (myself included) leave their families and their lives to relocate to sunny Florida, thinking all their problems will go away. Even some youth relocate to escape their lives and run away from jobs and "growing up". Sadly, these are the people that are posting negatively, and running back home saying "Florida sucks". Well, if you are relocating to alleviate the stress of everyday life, don't bother. It's not better here! The WEATHER is better. There are different problems here, like hurricanes, crappy insurance, snowbirds, not to mention unemployment and a crashing housing market. My point? Move here to enjoy the weather, but know that life goes on. Since the weather is so beautiful, many people are in much better spirits. I found that relocating has made me manage everyday problems better. Move here for a positive change, not a new life. I LOVE IT HERE!
Paradise means: A PAIR OF DICE
Don't learn that the hard way, people.
I have to disagree on one point...there is as many grumpy people here as anywhere else.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
To those that asked---
I live in Bradenton-- Not quiet NW but nearby-- not happy here though, the neighborhood is very mixed and there are shootings nearby often..I think the job market can be good-- it depends on what you want. We moved knowing we were taking a huge salary cut. My husband took over a 50% paycut, forcing me to go back to work. I knew that was what needed to be done to get here.. I wanted to raise my daughter in a warm environment where she could be "outdoorsy". My husband was a pyrotechnic engineer (he blew out tunnels underground for mining) and wasn't going to be able to take a job like that here and make as much money. Plus, he worked his butt off-- Now, he's happier and we are doing well. However, he was willing to take the job he has now, and take that paycut--He works for Manatee county and loves his job. People have to realize that the PAY isn't what it is in other areas. It wasn't easy the first year--we worked really hard. We have no debt and are able to save since we are still renting..Plus, the school districts offer great SECURITY! Be prepared to come down, and work hard. Then as it gets easier, you can change jobs. Work two jobs if you need to to make ends meet-- Im not sure what line of work you are in but I am such a fan of school districts-- they are always looking for maintenance, and support staff. Learn to live, dealing with what you need and give up the LUXURIOUS that we have gotten used to. Hmm wonder why are nation is in debt? I don't need a newer car, don't need an Iphone, or fancy jewelry. I needed the weather, I have asthma that was induced by the cold damp weather of Chicago- causing me to get Pneumonia 2x a year. Sure, we had money-- but we are much happier now..Plus, since it was my entire family's "pipe dream" to relocate, my cousin, parents and sisters family relocated after we did. No one thought it could be done, but we did it!
exactly what i wanted to read! we can t do connecticut anymore. we wrk and pay and have no life. kids cant go outside and i dont want to! i have put almost 20yrs into my hairdressing career and i have nothing!
i realized how silly it is to stay for the "career" when i got sick 2 weeks ago and missed a week of work, no pay, now im struggling to make the difference!
im on my way to bradenton march 5 to check out the area, 34202. cant wait. taking a week off again to come to florida is gonna hurt too but i just hope its going to help me get that much closer to the move.
i dont think im going to be doing hairdressing in florida, but i hope to find a good job and my husband as well.
we are planning on putting our house on the market in april. pry for a quick sale!
we will be bringing family and friend s with us as well. lol.
there are way to many crabby people in ct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay