Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times

Advertisements

It's different! ust a thought.. so many people come here with the preconcieved notion that they are moving to Paradise. All the East coasters and Midwesterners (myself included) leave their families and their lives to relocate to sunny Florida, thinking all their problems will go away. Even some youth relocate to escape their lives and run away from jobs and "growing up". Sadly, these are the people that are posting negatively, and running back home saying "Florida sucks". Well, if you are relocating to alleviate the stress of everyday life, don't bother. It's not better here! The WEATHER is better. There are different problems here, like hurricanes, crappy insurance, snowbirds, not to mention unemployment and a crashing housing market. My point? Move here to enjoy the weather, but know that life goes on. Since the weather is so beautiful, many people are in much better spirits. I found that relocating has made me manage everyday problems better. Move here for a positive change, not a new life. I LOVE IT HERE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 AM

38 posts, read 145,958 times
I think you hit the nail on the head! I am considering a move to Florida for many different reasons....not to "escape life." Reading all of these posts has kind-of gotten me down and scared to move to Florida. Do you think that the job market is really that bad? I'd like to get your take on it since you seem to have a good outlook!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 AM

48 posts, read 244,037 times
I think you're right. You can't move to just to escape stress and problems. I live in MN currently and part of me moving to FL in September is to get away from the terrible winters. There's still stuff to do, but I'm an outdoors "warm-weather" guy, so it gets really tough in the winters. I just need a change in scenery. Also, I have some family down there, so that's another reason why. Glad to hear you like it NewFLGal. What area do you live in?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 AM

20 posts, read 69,872 times
Default Weather

I really can't agree. I lived on the West Coast most of my life. I don't see what people see in the weather here. In the summer it is extremely hot and humid, and it storms every day! You cannot really plan on doing anything outdoors unless you like being struck by lightning.

Winters on the other hand tend to be too variable. One day it's in the seventies, the next its in the 40's.

I have lived her fourteen years too long! I did not move to escape anything. I moved here because my elderly parents chose to move here 32 years ago. They needed me to help them out. Now I am stuck here, a miserable middle aged gay man!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
NewFLGal, i totally agree with your statement...there isnt anywhere that i could think of where you wont have to deal with the stresses of everyday life...and will just escape....i mean out here on the west coast,..many people come here thinking that because ppl "make more" money than in other places..that they're lives will be better...what they forget is that there is a price you pay...longer commutes,..unless you're really lucky..,houses are xxtremely expensiv...even renting a house/apmt. is really overpriced (at least i think so..lol..)....and you definately dont get as much for what you pay so much money for...
and as far as the job market goes....i just read a news article that stated that california was one of the worst palces to look for work right now...and reciently..the govenor just made very substancial cuts to very important programs..
life out here might be perfect for some...but i know a lot of people who have really good jobs...and are struggling....and when someone who makes 75k a yr. is having problems...that tells you something about the reality for many out here..no, not everyone...but...well you get where im going..
sure you have much less humidity,..the rare thunderstorm or two...
mountains you can drive to,and ski on...but..
you will work like crazy just to pay for your overly priced speck of property..and only rarely have time to get away....
yes..even here..life isn't all roses...definately not the dream of hollywood lights and cool surfers on the beach
i myself prefer the extra humidity and year round sunshine,absolutely LOVE the frequent thunderstorms.. i mean..not having to water my yard most of the summer..i'll take that..over worrying whether or not i'll even HAVE water...
and while it's possible that i might not make quite as much money...i definately believe that i'll be a whole lot happier...and will be able to enjoy the great beaches in my spare time...who needs snow..lol..
ive lived in 3 states..and have experianced the daily stresses in each...
whether it was economy related..or weather related...something at one time or another was getting on someone's nerves...thats just life..
anyone who relocates to "escape"..is surely in for a reality check..
yes i think everyone would love to find their "perfect" paridise...but, this is reality....and the reality of life = stress....where ever you live....

Last edited by si33; 02-20-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM

367 posts, read 1,687,319 times
Tough job market - isn't it everywhere just now
House slump - isn't it almost everywhere now
High property taxes - well we don't pay state income tax do we and our state sales tax is not the highest either.
High insurance, well you got me there, but you all vote for the people in Tallahassee that keep allowing the ins co's to do whatever they like here (I think they are called special interest groups!)
Freezing winters - Oh my bad - that's somewhere else, we have year round sunshine along with the sunny people and laid back attitude (when we are not killing ourselves at work and playing outdoors )

Old 02-20-2008, 03:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathanoah View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head! I am considering a move to Florida for many different reasons....not to "escape life." Reading all of these posts has kind-of gotten me down and scared to move to Florida. Do you think that the job market is really that bad? I'd like to get your take on it since you seem to have a good outlook!

What type of job? The job market has been slow in Tampa for several years, but there are jobs out there. Do you want to rent or buy? If you have children then you have to make sure you get in an area where the schools are decent. Education has suffered in FL.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:46 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,154 times
Everyone always thinks the grass is greener on the other side....

Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 48,469 times
I think that most people today move where the job is...not because they want too. It's not like the old days when you grew up in an area, worked at the job for 50 years and then retired in the same house that your parents bought in 1925. Now days corporations don't have any loyalty to you and in turn the employees don't have any loyalty to the corporations. This in turn brings me to my original statement. Most people move because they have to not because they want to. I have moved from OKC to Austin to Tampa and now I'm interviewing in SC because there is nothing here for me in my profession. Once you reach a certain salary and age you have a number of years experience in what you do and it's just not easy to find something next door doing the same thing. So I am one of those that out of every place I've lived Tampa Bay is by far my favorite, but there is still some screwed up stuff here that you just don't find anywhere else.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 14,723 times
Since I have moved to Florida my life has been much more stressful! It was a total Culture shock. Coming from Boston I found the lifestyle too laid back......most people have extremely blase attitudes, slow drivers in the left lane drive me crazy....the educational system is an endless source of frustration. the night life consists of shows that 70 year old persons can relate to and the performers are all has-beens....I am so tired of dressing casually all the time in summer clothes....the snowbirds treat the residents as tho we never graduated from grammar school and have lived on a farm all of our life and most frustrating is that I don't speak Spanish.
These issues are "Florida" related issues so you can not say that life would be the same anywhere you lived...true we all must cope with everyday stress such as financial and health issues but why add more to what we must generally deal with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay