Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 06:54 PM

9 posts, read 5,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themosthigh View Post
I was talking about mountain biking with one of my customers and he was telling me there are some kick ass trails to ride around here. He gave me some info about a MTB group down here. I will post tomorrow if I can find his business card in my van.
Alafia and Balm Boyette are the trails he's talking about. I'm sure he's part of SWAMP. They're a great group and I love working with them.

Growing up in Florida and always having a place on the beach helps me know the area, but not well enough to choose somewhere to live unfortunately. I might stretch the budget and cut my land requirements to get somewhere close to SoHo. It's 5 min to work and 25 min to Morris Bridge trails. At least those could hold me over during the week and I could go to Alafia and Balm Boyette on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 07:28 PM

65 posts, read 70,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubdvdt View Post
Alafia and Balm Boyette are the trails he's talking about. I'm sure he's part of SWAMP. They're a great group and I love working with them.
Yeah SWAMP that's the group he was telling me about.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 5,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There is also this one, Loyce E. Harpe Park in Lakeland. You may already be familiar with it since you are an enthusiast. Lakeland itself has good elevation changes. Also, Lake Wales has the highest point in peninsular Florida "Iron Mountain" at 295 feet.

Loyce E. Harpe Park Mountain Bike Trail in Lakeland, Florida || SINGLETRACKS.COM

If you need to stay living in Tampa, maybe look in Seminole Heights? The area has more "soul", not too bad a commute to your job area, and probably within the time limits for the trails you want to hit.

Good luck!
That area isn't too bad. More affordable than SoHo too and its closer to biking. My work schedule can be flexible around rush hour and I can always go to our gym really early to beat traffic completely for the day.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:56 AM

849 posts, read 2,910,989 times
The Tampa area has Alafia, Boyette, Flatwoods and Carter Park. Outside of the area are Santos and parks in Miami like Markham and in Tallahassee like Tom Brown.
Although nothing like the biking in N. Carolina, Ellijay GA, or Moab and Sedona, these trails are nothing to sneeze at. Flatwoods is great for a nice cardio workout, no ups and downs, and just fun, fast riding.
Boyette will get you conditioned for rides out west. Ridgeline is a killer cardio workout, and N., S. Abyss will also get you pumping from the ups and downs.
Alafia is overcrowded and as a result the trails are frequently washed out, unnecessarily dangerous, and not something I personally enjoy. I almost killed myself a few times out there, and called it quits.
Santos is on the list of top ten MTB trails regularly on Singletracks. Vortex is a blast to ride, and there are some decent elevation changes. The Greenway is an awesome epic ride.
I've hit almost all the Florida trails. Contrary to popular misconception, there ARE hills is Florida that offer a challenge. Sometimes mores that riding out west. Thanks to rock quarries.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
The Tampa area has Alafia, Boyette, Flatwoods and Carter Park. Outside of the area are Santos and parks in Miami like Markham and in Tallahassee like Tom Brown.
Although nothing like the biking in N. Carolina, Ellijay GA, or Moab and Sedona, these trails are nothing to sneeze at. Flatwoods is great for a nice cardio workout, no ups and downs, and just fun, fast riding.
Boyette will get you conditioned for rides out west. Ridgeline is a killer cardio workout, and N., S. Abyss will also get you pumping from the ups and downs.
Alafia is overcrowded and as a result the trails are frequently washed out, unnecessarily dangerous, and not something I personally enjoy. I almost killed myself a few times out there, and called it quits.
Santos is on the list of top ten MTB trails regularly on Singletracks. Vortex is a blast to ride, and there are some decent elevation changes. The Greenway is an awesome epic ride.
I've hit almost all the Florida trails. Contrary to popular misconception, there ARE hills is Florida that offer a challenge. Sometimes mores that riding out west. Thanks to rock quarries.
Alafia dangerous because too many people on the track? Had that problem in Colorado. Nearly got nailed the last time single they use single tracks and only people going in both directions. With switchbacks, you never know who's coming around the corner. Very dangerous.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 AM

30,172 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Op will be bored to death here with or flat lands and heat pete. This area is known as a death trap for bikers.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 AM

30,172 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Spring lake has some hills as well as a area west of Orlando on Highway 50 around Clermont. But we have nothing compared to the northwest part of our country.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 PM

490 posts, read 578,682 times
Most of these old coots haven't a clue what mountain biking is. They see the word mountain and think they are making sarcastic jokes about flat Florida.

There are plenty, I mean plenty of intense scenery swampy, stream bed, sandy trails that would knock their tired tRumps into heart attack DNR! In the flat lands of Florida.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:53 AM

23 posts, read 54,007 times
+1 for Alafia State Park. I visited in April and rented an MTB in Brandon. I had a great time and there was lots of variety and spectacular scenery.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessAndLost View Post
+1 for Alafia State Park. I visited in April and rented an MTB in Brandon. I had a great time and there was lots of variety and spectacular scenery.
A lot of other bikers on the trail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay