U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM

15 posts, read 45,478 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't take it personally. The posters are just trying to give you a realistic view of what to expect. I moved to Tampa from Austin, TX in 2002. I was given horrible information when I was relocating and was told that living in Riverview would be ideal for me when I worked on Westshore. These areas are complete opposite of each other. Riverview on one side of Tampa and Westshore on the other. After two months I broke my lease on my apartment and moved closer to work. It was a mess! So they are just trying to prepare you. It cost me a lot of money and a huge hassle because I got wrong information.
After being here for several years I moved to Northdale (North side of Tampa) which was still a big commute time but, I made that choice. I now live in St. Pete and my commute is half the time and I'm a much happier person! So I suggest that you take the time to visit and see all the areas and actually make the drive during work hours from the areas that you were looking at and if the commute doesn't bother you then go for it but, have an open mind for other areas and explore them as well. You just might be surprised. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM

849 posts, read 3,273,731 times
Default well

you seem to be choosing the "stuff" i.e. planned communities over your husband's needs and comforts. Very nice for you at home with the little ones but really horrible for him. But it's up to you. I'm just a lot older and I've sen what happens to the folks who think that's an ideal lifestyle, kill themselves at high paying jobs to have it and are really miserable after a few years. It's not about "stuff" really, it isn't. And in a few years when the kids are in school and involved with their friends where will you be? Bored or also running the rat race so that there are 2 stressed out parents not home enough? I'm just posing questions no one is asking before they make a disastrous decision. I didn't say you DO want your husband to be absent. I ASKED if that's what you want. Obviously it's not, so please rethink this. I grew up in an urban area just outside of NYC with a yard and I wouldn't trade it for ANY suburban upbringing I could have had. My Dad built me a swimming pool so you can do the same for your kid. Just buy a property with that in mind and if you're a stay at home Mom, you can find plenty for them to do. Gee, they might even meet some kids from other areas than their own neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace5570 View Post
Good grief. How did me asking an innocent question about communities in Tampa turn into me not wanting my husband around?

I don't live in the area, so I had no idea that a commute from Tampa to St. Petersburg would be so horrible. The communities in Tampa appealed to me based on amenities, communities, and the style of homes. With two small children, I like the idea of a "master planned community". The homes near St. Pete appear to be older and without the pools, clubhouses, etc. I understand the appeal and charm of St. Pete and am sure it's a fabulous place to live, I just wasn't sure it would match our family's needs right now.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM

70 posts, read 335,991 times
What about areas of North Pinellas?

I would look into Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Safety Harbor or maybe Oldsmar. I totally understand what you are saying about wanting to live in a family subdivision rather than the more "urban" setting of St Pete. I would never want to live in St Pete, I find it very congested, as well as quite run down in many areas. All the areas I mentioned have lovely communities to raise a family, with a much more reasonable commute (< 1hour) than WC, New Tampa or Valrico, (which could easily be a 90 minute commute) Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 PM

81 posts, read 285,276 times
I think you will find everyone has opinion (including me) and many times quite different from one another! ... Whatever you guys decide, make sure you rent for 7-12 months and see how you like the area. By that time you will also be "half local" and know things about Tampa/St Pete and and neighborhoods of your interest. :-) Then it will be much easier for you to pick the location of your liking.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM

849 posts, read 3,273,731 times
Default yes they do

and I wasn't suggesting to the OP that she go to SP itself but Seminole is very nice for families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn848 View Post
What about areas of North Pinellas?

I would look into Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Safety Harbor or maybe Oldsmar. I totally understand what you are saying about wanting to live in a family subdivision rather than the more "urban" setting of St Pete. I would never want to live in St Pete, I find it very congested, as well as quite run down in many areas. All the areas I mentioned have lovely communities to raise a family, with a much more reasonable commute (< 1hour) than WC, New Tampa or Valrico, (which could easily be a 90 minute commute) Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,782,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stace5570 View Post
Good grief. How did me asking an innocent question about communities in Tampa turn into me not wanting my husband around?

I don't live in the area, so I had no idea that a commute from Tampa to St. Petersburg would be so horrible. The communities in Tampa appealed to me based on amenities, communities, and the style of homes. With two small children, I like the idea of a "master planned community". The homes near St. Pete appear to be older and without the pools, clubhouses, etc. I understand the appeal and charm of St. Pete and am sure it's a fabulous place to live, I just wasn't sure it would match our family's needs right now.
Since "master planned" communities are important to you, i'd look into areas that have been mentioned already like Westchase, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor, Trinity....

Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM

367 posts, read 1,569,905 times
Hi there, if you are after a master planned community then, based on a variety of prices, Tampa areas you mentioned are definitely a good idea, but the commute will be definitely an awful one.
If you have the money, there are some wonderful homes in parts of Pinellas county, like East Lake, Landsbrook is a fabulous planned subdivision and although the drive is long, at least you are in the same county. Don't forget to check that out. Also there are some nice new homes around Seminole in great subdivisions, like Thurston Groves and Traditions, but they are pricey. Seminole has wonderful schools too and it's close to the beaches, probably a 20-30 min drive from St Pete, depending on where you are working. Very safe too. Many homes have pools, many recreation centers with activities for all ages, the Seminole center is almost brand new and next to a large library and the St Pete College Campus, it's very pretty.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 7,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
you seem to be choosing the "stuff" i.e. planned communities over your husband's needs and comforts. Very nice for you at home with the little ones but really horrible for him.
Actually, it's my husband who would prefer to live in the suburbs. I'd be perfectly happy living in an older home in a more urban area. He wants a new house, community pool, golf, ball fields, organized sports for the kids, etc.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 PM

35 posts, read 174,688 times
Default St. Pete

St. Pete is not really all that urban. There's downtown and then there are the neighborhoods all around it, some nicer than others, of course. And despite my user name, you can't beat Pinellas for nice parks and wonderful libraries. Seminole is very nice, I used to live there. It has a more wide open space feel to it and some homes are on large pieces of property (more expensive, as land is at a premium in built-out Pinellas). Good luck to you.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,734,248 times
It would be easier to live in Bradenton and take the Skyway bridge to St. Pete... I lived in Wesley Chapel and wouldn't want to drive to St. Pete from their, unless I visited home on the week-end. I lived north of DC. Believe us it's different here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or