U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,872 times

Advertisements

Hello - my husband may be taking a job in St. Petersburg, and I was wondering which area would have the easiest commute into St. Pete - Valrico, Wesley Chapel, or New Tampa? Those are the 3 areas we'd be considering. I know the commute won't be "easy" but we are coming from the DC area and are used to long commutes!

Also - our 5 year old will be starting kindergarten this year. I'm not sure what the easiest plan would be in terms of moving/renting/buying before him starting school. Are there any short term rentals available? Any websites you can recommend on finding rentals? If we were to move within the next couple of months, hopefully we could rent first to scope out areas then buy something before school starts. Otherwise, I'm thinking we'd need to do a year rental so he wouldn't have to potentially switch schools.

Lastly - can you give me your opinions as to the best areas for families between those 3 choices? Good schools, lots to do in the community, etc. (yes, I've searched the forums but would like additional info!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,764,560 times
I can't give you much info on those areas, but I know a little about Renting. My suggestion would be to rent for sure first. The market is going to decrease more and you want to be sure you are happy with the area before you buy. Also, from my experience going on those Rent.com type sites are not accurate at all. I'd use those only to get the names of places, then call the direct number, not the number listed on the site. Find it in the yellow pages or 411. Most places offer short term leases but you pay more..It's not ideal living, but it gives you a pool and a chance to get to know the areas.. : 0

Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 AM

81 posts, read 285,721 times
I would suggest out of these 3 Wesley Chapel or New Tampa. New Tampa is more expensive than Wesley Chapel. But in Wesley Chapel stay closer to I-75 - either around 56 or 54. If you are a young family and/or you like shops, restaurants and other activities these are the best places to live. But ofcourse, with it comes traffic!! :-)

In Wesley Chapel, on 56 there is Grand Hampton and Seven Oaks - both are beautiful. Both are right next to I-75 and has 3 malls coming around them. So in future your property will fetch you good value. You can also consider Meadow Point in Wesley Chapel. Another nice community though not as close to 75 as the other two. In seven oaks, and oppositve seven oaks there are also couple of communities to rent. So check that out as well if you plan to rent. If you go little north, then you can go upto 54 (one exit north of 56 on I 75), there is a community called Villagebrook. There are lots of homes on sell there and price is cheaper than houses on 56. Do not go east on 54 - my opinion.

If you would like to live in New Tampa, property taxes and traffic will be higher :-) ..but very nice area to live. There are lots of rental communities in new tampa around new tampa blvd , corss creek blvd and in richmond place. Houses are generally expensive but if you dont care for the price there - right now Lennar homes in Heritage Isles (on cross creek blvd) is giving very good deals. Same with Easton Park where M/I homes is giving good deals (cross creek blvd and morris bridge rd). For rentals, there are just tons of rentals - so if you just drive around you will find lot of them. Tampa Palms is great place to live too but prices are even further higher.

In my opinion, out of all your choices, Wesley Chapel closer to I-75 and between 56 and 54 gives you best value for money :-) ...New Tampa is better in terms of overall life style but cost (and traffice) is much higher. Velrico - not bad - but IMHO pales in comparision to these two. But if traffic is THE priority Velrico is better. I am sure some will disagree with me. :-)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,793,858 times
Just to note, Wesley Chapel, New Tampa and Valrico are a considerable distance and across the Bay from St. Petersberg. Why have you chosen these distant locations to reside when hubby is working in St. Pete? Just curious....

Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 AM

20 posts, read 62,366 times
Question why these places

I have to agree with the last poster. Why would you choose these three places?

St Petersburg is one of the nicest cities in this area. If you are working there why not look there. The other places you mention are way out from everything. Wesley Chapel, is a nice area but very suburban and not really near anything. Tampa is the pits. I'd stick to St Pete or somewhere in Pinellas county if I were you.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM

20 posts, read 62,366 times
Default commute time

I would also like to mention the commute times.

Valrico would be a ridiculous commute, with absolutely horrific traffic!
I worked with a guy who commuted to our office near Tampa airport. It took him nearly two hours ( each way )every day.

Likewise Wesley Chape, is quite a ways north. Interstate 4 is a horrible road and you would have to pass through downtown Tampa to get to St Pete. It's a horrible commute. I drove for a living, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I wouldn't want to have to do that commute every day. You will never see your family. New Tampa would likewise be one heck of a commute.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 AM

It seemed like those areas are more family oriented, especially with young children. We are looking for a community with lots of amenities and a newer home. It didn't seem like those kinds of properties are available in the St. Pete area, but I really don't know.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 AM

849 posts, read 3,278,599 times
Unhappy why are you considering those?

the commute will be worse than anything in DC. Valrico is definitely out and so is WC. There is no beltway or other well functioning expressway system. the expressways that do exist are all torn up for long term construction. I'd suggest looking in Seminole (the city next to SP not the sect. of Tampa) It's an easy commute, close to beaches and other amenities with good schools and nice homes very family friendly. I honestly cannot recommend any of your 3 choices based on commute alone. Seminole definitely is a good choice with a little one.
If you are determined to subject your poor husband to such a commute, I
have to say definitely rent first and you'll see after a year in one of those places, you'll have turned him into a stressed out, uninvolved father and husband then you'll be whining about how he doesn't do anything with you all. Again I'll ask, what's the big draw to those places? Are you trying to keep him away from home that much and in ill temper when he is there? Wouldn't you rather have him be an easy 25 min. away coming in the door eager to see both of you? I don't know why I am reacting so strongly but you've given no logical reason for living in one of those places you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace5570 View Post
Hello - my husband may be taking a job in St. Petersburg, and I was wondering which area would have the easiest commute into St. Pete - Valrico, Wesley Chapel, or New Tampa? Those are the 3 areas we'd be considering. I know the commute won't be "easy" but we are coming from the DC area and are used to long commutes!

Also - our 5 year old will be starting kindergarten this year. I'm not sure what the easiest plan would be in terms of moving/renting/buying before him starting school. Are there any short term rentals available? Any websites you can recommend on finding rentals? If we were to move within the next couple of months, hopefully we could rent first to scope out areas then buy something before school starts. Otherwise, I'm thinking we'd need to do a year rental so he wouldn't have to potentially switch schools.

Lastly - can you give me your opinions as to the best areas for families between those 3 choices? Good schools, lots to do in the community, etc. (yes, I've searched the forums but would like additional info!)

Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 AM

849 posts, read 3,278,599 times
Default just swa this

second post of yours but everything the other posters say is true. You seem to have gotten some very bad misinformation someplace. St. Pete is way more family friendly than Tampa. You can actually take your small son to activities during the day and enjoy them with a feeling of safety.
That includes going to the beach.
St. Pete itself has some very nice neighborhoods but the school system is in flux.
We are a county wide dist. as is all FL but we're going to neighborhood assignment. That means within the city of St. Pete it might be a bit difficult to determine at this point which school your son would be attending but in Seminole, there are fewer options and they're all good. My husband subs and he prefers Seminole to all other schools in the district.
I'd suggest you PM "spainbrit" She's a real estate agent in Seminole and lives there. She seems very honest. I only know her from the forum but I don't think she'll push you into buying anything until you are sure. She can make good suggestions for rentals. If you're used to paying Beltway prices, you should be able to rent a very nice home in Seminole for what you'd consider reasonable.
Sorry if I was so rough on you before

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace5570 View Post
It seemed like those areas are more family oriented, especially with young children. We are looking for a community with lots of amenities and a newer home. It didn't seem like those kinds of properties are available in the St. Pete area, but I really don't know.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Good grief. How did me asking an innocent question about communities in Tampa turn into me not wanting my husband around?

I don't live in the area, so I had no idea that a commute from Tampa to St. Petersburg would be so horrible. The communities in Tampa appealed to me based on amenities, communities, and the style of homes. With two small children, I like the idea of a "master planned community". The homes near St. Pete appear to be older and without the pools, clubhouses, etc. I understand the appeal and charm of St. Pete and am sure it's a fabulous place to live, I just wasn't sure it would match our family's needs right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or