Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

Tampa:

the number-one city people moved to in 2016, according to Realtor.com
the hottest city for start-ups, according to Fortune
the most pet-friendly, claims RewardExpert
the best overall city in the Southeast, says Money magazine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissa.../#37e664da626e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
oh, I thought this was another weather thread....this area has a lot to offer, just not sure the infrastructure (roads) are ready for the growth.....seems like urban sprawl is hitting us, especially S. Hillsborough County....there's got to be better development other than strip mall after strip mall, housing subdivisions and fast food joints that are popping up everywhere......

In his fight to stop sprawl, Hillsborough commissioner takes to the sky | Tampa Bay Times

Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
I'm personally really excited to see what else Mark Sharpe has up his sleeves. The whole University area is such a big part of Tampa with so much wasted potential. I'm glad somebody sees it.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Tampa still has a long way to go in terms of attracting millennials/young professionals. But I guess progress is progress.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:51 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
just not sure the infrastructure (roads) are ready for the growth.....seems like urban sprawl is hitting us,

In his fight to stop sprawl, Hillsborough commissioner takes to the sky | Tampa Bay Times
Nothing new here. I have lived here since 1975. Builders build new homes where there are large tracts of land cheap. Unfortunately the roads are not built for the homes out in the boonies. So on most of these new home subdivisions the roads will be 20 yrs behind. But that won't stop the new homeowners complaining about it. You would think these new homeowners would understand this, But I guess they are too blind looking at the pretty new homes and not paying attention to the infrastructure all around.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:51 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Tampa still has a long way to go in terms of attracting millennials/young professionals. But I guess progress is progress.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissa.../#3becb960626e

Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I saw it. Doesn't change the fact that Tampa has a long way to go.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:14 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
oh, I thought this was another weather thread....this area has a lot to offer, just not sure the infrastructure (roads) are ready for the growth.....seems like urban sprawl is hitting us, especially S. Hillsborough County....there's got to be better development other than strip mall after strip mall, housing subdivisions and fast food joints that are popping up everywhere......

THIS. There's growth, and then there's intelligent growth. I have certain libertarian tendencies politically and economically, and I think the Invisible Hand Theory has it's merits, but as I mentioned in my other post, there is just no sort of regional planning happening, at least that I can see. Those things are really so ubiquitous, it makes you wonder when there might be another bubble on them. More Americans recently have started doing their eating and shopping from home, so what's going to happen when that trend continues, and you have massive black holes of empty parking lots from these types of places? University Mall in Tampa, by USF, is a prime example of this.

Also, the traffic, while bad on the 275, is to be expected in a major city (although some type of toll type roads would be nice, even though I understand the geographical constraints compared to an Orlando), and just one time eating dinner at the Refinery, I was amazed at how bad the gridlock is (and for good reason a 2 lane road) in Seminole Heights (is that really the only thruway there?), but what I'll say also is that the traffic in places like Brandon and even Urban Bradenton is OBSCENE. Those are places that are smaller cities where people hypothetically go to escape that kind of gridlock, yet it's worse than in the core of many major cities.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:21 PM

686 posts, read 621,961 times
Up here in Pasco it's not much better. The 54 corridor is becoming choked off with never-ending generic sprawl. Zero smart growth. Just low-density zoning for the same crap repeated every 5 miles, and of course ticky tack mcmansions. You can have it. Too many people moving here. Infrastructure is laughably behind the times. This whole region is going to be a nightmare in 10 years. Will be glad to cash out.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:24 PM

30,429 posts, read 21,241,024 times
The only hot in Tampa is the temp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay