Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 15,058 times

Advertisements

Wally don't argue with these people it's true the wages here suck I'll just stay in Indiana where living is affordable and where they are not going to pay me $5 less for the same exact job. The miserable people that are saying the wages are good here must make millions because they are always online bullying people for their opinions. I still like Florida such a beautiful place but they really need to work on the economy there and some of their people who are cyber bullies.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:40 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
What point are you trying to make?
COL and wages go hand in hand. The higher the housing costs/rent/taxes/other living expenses etc.., the higher the salaries will be.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plola26 View Post
I'll just stay in Indiana where living is affordable and where they are not going to pay me $5 less for the same exact job.
Why do that when you can move down here, be miserable, and complain about everythi-- Wait, you already started and you haven't moved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plola26 View Post
The miserable people that are saying the wages are good here must make millions because they are always online bullying people for their opinions.
One would think that people who choose to stay here like it. In theory, they wouldn't be miserable as they can always do something crazy, like move, if they don't like it.

And opinions mean they can't be proven right or wrong. Facts have statistics that can back them up. People on these boards really need to learn the difference.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:46 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
The average weekly wage in Hillsborough county is $845. $780 is average for FL.

SuncoastJobs.com - Statistical Data of the Suncoast Workforce Region: Population Growth Data, Occupation Distribution Data, Unemployment Rate Data, Income Statistics, Weekly Wage Data of Tampa, Sarasota and Naples.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:09 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
The flaws of average, eh? My head is in an over and my feet in a freezer, I am OK on average?
Attached Thumbnails
Low Wages-averages.jpg  

Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
COL and wages go hand in hand. The higher the housing costs/rent/taxes/other living expenses etc.., the higher the salaries will be.
No they don't. In the case of "destination" locations, incomes are brought about by external sources and imported into the destination. This is akin to bedroom communities of the economic center. The money is not made in the bedroom community, but it nonetheless benefits from the transfer.

Florida is a bedroom community at a National level, due to the prevailing temperatures and access to water features. Within that transfer, there's a sub-demographic: a plethora of people who have no economic business relocating there but who attempt to settle anyways, creating a high level of turnover as they get spit out by the COL which is not organically supported by the local economy. Their presence keeps housing pricing high due to the fact that even though said demographic is highly transient, there's always another sucker willing to try it out in their place. The net effect is a constant housing demand, even though the actual individual is different. This puts further upward pressure on prices.

Thence, you can't simply state that the COL in the Tampa Bay area, or any MSA in Florida is an accurate index of the prevailing wages. It's too distorted by "national income" imports, foreign money, and transient "irrationals" willing to pay a sunshine tax at a level insolvent for their incomes.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
The flaws of average, eh? My head is in an over and my feet in a freezer, I am OK on average?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics carries the same info, Maybe you're not average.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:09 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
No they don't. In the case of "destination" locations, incomes are brought about by external sources and imported into the destination. This is akin to bedroom communities of the economic center. The money is not made in the bedroom community, but it nonetheless benefits from the transfer.

Florida is a bedroom community at a National level, due to the prevailing temperatures and access to water features. Within that transfer, there's a sub-demographic: a plethora of people who have no economic business relocating there but who attempt to settle anyways, creating a high level of turnover as they get spit out by the COL which is not organically supported by the local economy. Their presence keeps housing pricing high due to the fact that even though said demographic is highly transient, there's always another sucker willing to try it out in their place. The net effect is a constant housing demand, even though the actual individual is different. This puts further upward pressure on prices.

Thence, you can't simply state that the COL in the Tampa Bay area, or any MSA in Florida is an accurate index of the prevailing wages. It's too distorted by "national income" imports, foreign money, and transient "irrationals" willing to pay a sunshine tax at a level insolvent for their incomes.
Say what? Housing prices are high in FL? Do a search on housing prices between Tampa, DC, NY, SF, Seattle, San Diego, LA etc.. the only exception is South FL, but we're not discussing that area. Do you even own a house and you're talking about housing prices? Go compare property taxes between Tampa and the above cities.

Incomes are proportionate to the COL. The higher the price of real estate, the more amenities in an area (i.e. public transport or other projects) the more companies have to pay because the public gets fleeced by taxes and other expenses. If they didn't, you'd have social unrest brewing.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Say what? Housing prices are high in FL? Do a search on housing prices between Tampa, DC, NY, SF, Seattle, San Diego, LA etc.. the only exception is South FL, but we're not discussing that area. Do you even own a house and you're talking about housing prices? Go compare property taxes between Tampa and the above cities.

Incomes are proportionate to the COL. The higher the price of real estate, the more amenities in an area (i.e. public transport or other projects) the more companies have to pay because the public gets fleeced by taxes and other expenses. If they didn't, you'd have social unrest brewing.
It is amazing how so many Floridians own homes, a couple of cars, keep restaurants and bars busy, keep shopping areas busy, many own small boats or other watercraft, rental housing is a tight market, people go to work everyday (as evidenced by the volume of rush hour traffic) yet the wages are low, the cost of living is high, taxes are high yet we all seem to carry on.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:11 PM

261 posts, read 260,909 times
Tampa makes me laugh anymore, Professionals such as Emts Dispatchers and Teachers in some areas of Tampa Bay make 14-16 an hour. Even jobs at Citibank, Progressive insurance and USAA known as the big call centers in Brandon/Riverview start at this tepid range, Law School Graduate positions at the Public defenders office only start at 37 k a year! and Rent for a small two bedroom in urban Hillsborough in a decent neighborhood is around 1300 a month now! Car Insurance is sky-high here as well and Publix is generally high in food prices. you will go broke in this area especially if you have no Budgeting skills.

People buy new cars and boats on shady loans! Some people are not as rich as you think in Tampa!

Last edited by paradiselost; 09-20-2016 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay