Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 30's, we are thinking of moving to the Tampa area from Massachusetts, my husband can transfer to Temple Terrace but we don't know the right towns to look into to live. I want to be close to the coast and he doesn't want an awful commute(been there done that). We have a 2 year old daughter and want good schools and neighborhood. We want to rent for awhile, can anyone recommend some good areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Rents are still reasonable around here. Temple Terrace is fairly far from the water, though. I would suggest looking looking in South Tampa as this will put you on the Bay, close to the bridges to get you over the gulf beaches, and minimize commute strains (though it would still be a bit of a pain). Carrollwood might be a nice compromise. It's a quick commute to temple terrace and not too far away from the water. I've got friends that live there and there are some nice neighborhoods. Here's a link to a map (temple terrace is on the right side of the map near I-75.

http://pro.suncoastbr.com/images/map.gif (broken link)

Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM

240 posts, read 1,065,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM001 View Post
My husband and I are in our 30's, we are thinking of moving to the Tampa area from Massachusetts, my husband can transfer to Temple Terrace but we don't know the right towns to look into to live. I want to be close to the coast and he doesn't want an awful commute(been there done that). We have a 2 year old daughter and want good schools and neighborhood. We want to rent for awhile, can anyone recommend some good areas?

U might want to put this in the Tampa Florida forum. People might be able to help better there

Old 02-23-2008, 06:12 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Cool also

check out Safety Harbor and Oldsmar. They are at the top of the Bay with water access and not too far from Pinellas beaches a little further to TT but not too bad. You have to go thru Carrollwood from there but taht part is easy. Carrollwood is not far in miles from TT but it's all city driving, no expressways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Rents are still reasonable around here. Temple Terrace is fairly far from the water, though. I would suggest looking looking in South Tampa as this will put you on the Bay, close to the bridges to get you over the gulf beaches, and minimize commute strains (though it would still be a bit of a pain). Carrollwood might be a nice compromise. It's a quick commute to temple terrace and not too far away from the water. I've got friends that live there and there are some nice neighborhoods. Here's a link to a map (temple terrace is on the right side of the map near I-75.

http://pro.suncoastbr.com/images/map.gif (broken link)

Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 PM

86 posts, read 243,237 times
I agree to check out Oldsmar, FL

Great town and close enough to the water. No to Temple Terrace... ugggh. Not great schools and just so ugggh.

Oldsmar is good.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:23 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I would not go as far as Oldsmar from TT. That seems like too much of a haul, esp. in rush hour--esp. if you are on Fletcher--that could take 45 minutes, easy!!!!

I would say Carrollwood--I live a bit north of Carrollwood, between Carrollwood and Oldsmar really. I like it, the schools are rated well, and there's lots of family-friendly neighborhoods. Oldsmar just seems so far to me...plus I don't know about the schools.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,700 times
We live in Tampa and love it, but don't plan on living by the beach unless you are bazillionaires...it ain't gonna happen. Carrollwood is zip code 33618 and Tampa Palms is 33647. They are both excellent areas to live. Temple Terrace is too close to USF and the crime rate is pretty high...breaking and entering, burglury, etc. If your husband is being transferred, look for the same zip code as the place he works. Otherwise, if you are looking for a rental apartment, Palencia looks like a nice place, (north off Dale Mabry and Bearss) but the people that run the place are pretty snooty. Westchase is another nice area, but whenever there is a hurricane alert, Westchase is one of the areas that is warned about high water. They are reasonably close to the bay, but expensive. Forget about Clearwater beach or even on the bay side across from Tampa because I know people who have quite a few $$ and wouldn't rent there because of the cost. There are some new places being built in south Tampa...look on the map.google and it will be right south of Gandy Blvd. by Gandy bridge. They probably run about $1500 or so and are brand new with boat docks. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 PM

141 posts, read 754,134 times
Don't exclude Temple Terrace...just look on the east side of 56th st between fowler and busch/bullard/tt highway. It's very pretty in there, with the gold course running through. Alot of nice homes as well, and decent pricing.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Carrollwood west of Dale Mabry Highway is Zip Code 33624, and Carrollwood east of Dale Mabry Highway is Zip Code 33618. I've lived here a long time. It's about 30 minutes to Clearwater Beach, except during commuter hours and spring break! And I would suggest that you also include Odessa and Lutz in your search areas.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Yes...I'm 33625 (that nebulous space between Carrollwood, Odessa, and Lutz); Odessa is 33625 but can be hard to get to TT from there; Lutz can be more accessible via I-275 or Dale Mabry.

There are some nice places in TT, to be sure, but watch out for the schools, which are spotty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay