Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 7,601 times

Advertisements

Hello guys and girls!

So I am moving to FL for a job from Philadelphia, PA. My job is in Holiday, FL and will likely stay there for the next 15 months. I have been looking at rentals from Holiday to Dunedin and without a doubt Holiday is quite cheap. I have been hearing bad things about living there though. Being a single person, I do not care for quality of schools there, or what people do in their homes. So I am not worried about that. At the same time, as a single person I would like to meet someone who is not a meth-head. What are your thoughts on the idea of living in Holiday for a little bit before I move up? Your input is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
You have obviously not had "boots on the ground" in Holiday. A drive up US 19, the primary road passing through Holiday, yields what appears to some as a post-apocalyptic landscape.

Really.

The "cheap rentals" you see are 800 square foot block homes built en mass during the late 50s and early 60s for the huge number of retirees ("snowbirds") that came south for the winter.

These are derelict, poorly maintained homes rented for low end lessees with equally low standards/morals. As a result, they're poorly maintained, crime and drug use is common, and in general, it's a hell hole.

There are some nice areas, but they're few and far between.

If I had a job in Holiday, I would probably go south to adjacent Tarpon Springs and look there. Far better community, safer, nicer homes. A plus if you're Greek or have relatives who are.

RM

Old 09-08-2016, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 7,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You have obviously not had "boots on the ground" in Holiday. A drive up US 19, the primary road passing through Holiday, yields what appears to some as a post-apocalyptic landscape.

Really.

The "cheap rentals" you see are 800 square foot block homes built en mass during the late 50s and early 60s for the huge number of retirees ("snowbirds") that came south for the winter.

These are derelict, poorly maintained homes rented for low end lessees with equally low standards/morals. As a result, they're poorly maintained, crime and drug use is common, and in general, it's a hell hole.

If I had a job in Holiday, I would probably go south to adjacent Tarpon Springs and look there. Far better community, safer, nicer homes. A plus if you're Greek or have relatives who are.

RM
Thanks for you input. Does things differ a lot if I move up a little to the NPR - Citrus park areas?

Old 09-08-2016, 11:12 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicmedic View Post
Thanks for you input. Does things differ a lot if I move up a little to the NPR - Citrus park areas?
There are others who know those areas far better than I, so I can't really comment with authority. The parts of NPR I know and have seen aren't much better than Holiday.

SpringHillian knows the area, I think.

RM

Old 09-08-2016, 11:25 AM

261 posts, read 260,940 times
I went to high school in Philadelphia in the early 90s so i know both areas. Holiday is cosmetically pretty bad its not as bad as some areas in northeast philly granted. But for Tampa bay and being right next to the Gulf its not a good area. West PAsco seems like its a lot transients with criminal records and drug problems as its cheaper then the rest of the counties and the job market is very tepid. Also flooding is a huge concern in West Pasco, everything West of us 19 is flooded out with a few inches of rain!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:27 PM

232 posts, read 348,488 times
Honestly, Holiday is the worst. You can find nice parts of New Port Richey if you go east of Little Road. But you'd be in a subdivision with little going on for a younger single person.

I agree with MortonR. I would go south to Tarpon Springs or even Palm Harbor.

Don't go too far away from your job. Traffic is bad during the winter season. You don't want to spend your free time in traffic.

Welcome! Hope your enjoy your time here.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:20 PM

146 posts, read 184,985 times
I agree with not being to far from work. Vista key area inholiday is fine but most of holiday stay away. Not to far are tarpon springs to the south and gulf harbors to the north. Both have good areas. Come down and check it out yourself

Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

Really.

RM
I agree.All rented out to drug dealers and trash. It's cheap for a reason.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Pass on Holiday. It is no holiday.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:09 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Pass on Holiday or New Port Richey - bad, bad, bad.

I agree, Tarpon Springs area would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay