Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
You can always discuss rent increases with the manager/landlord. Tell them that you can only afford a $40 per month increase. Most landlords would rather lose out of $40/mo than have to deal with preparing the unit for a new tenant, and also the possibility that it stays vacant.

I guarantee that within five years, many cities across the US will have a major rental market crisis. Rent prices here in Dallas/Fort Worth have been increasing by around 10% per month for the past few years. My current apartment that's around $950 rented in the $700s only a few years ago.

Move to the Midwest to avoid high rent increases. My apartment in Missouri stayed the same for years.
I think things across the US will ease up - the market for rentals in major cities is sky high, people will move to other areas and so will jobs. How can this be sustainable. $4,000 for a 600 square foot rental all over NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
This is happening all over. I live in CT and my rent has gone up at least $10 /year since I moved to my apartment complex in 2012. If I stay another year the cumulative total will be $80/$90 more than the original rent. I've been told that it's "market value." Sounds like price gouging to me....
Salaries aren't keeping up with anything, AnYthing. Healthcare costs, electric costs, cable, phones, repairs, clothing, cars. Has your salary gone up to cover any of these year to year???

Old 09-29-2016, 11:12 AM

261 posts, read 260,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
I finally moved.. to another state. I could never afford a house in Tampa on what I made (senior mechanical designer). I moved to east Tennessee 8 years ago with my fiance' (now wife). Now, I make 50% more than I did in Tampa (exact same job) and we bought a 1600 sq.ft. house 25 minutes outside downtown for $100 more a month than we were paying in rent up here.

I was born and raised in Tampa area, 35 years, and it seems like it gets worse every time I go back. I wonder how far ahead I would be if I moved sooner. Not trying to bad mouth Tampa, but wages are bad, housing is terrible.
I just moved to Central Kentucky 3 months ago after living in the Tampa area 15 years. Much more cheaper, way better food, less traffic, people are much more laid back and for the most part are much friendlier. As far as Tampa the Rent went up way too much so did insurances and everything else. Commuting is a nightmare and it got worse most recently. The place is so transient its hard to even keep friends. I will never ever live in the Tampa Area ever again. Its becoming a crowded unaffordable third world country! Id rather a foot of snow than sit on the Howard frank-land for two hours in the heavy rain!

Old 09-29-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
I just moved to Central Kentucky 3 months ago after living in the Tampa area 15 years. Much more cheaper, way better food, less traffic, people are much more laid back and for the most part are much friendlier. As far as Tampa the Rent went up way too much so did insurances and everything else. Commuting is a nightmare and it got worse most recently. The place is so transient its hard to even keep friends. I will never ever live in the Tampa Area ever again. Its becoming a crowded unaffordable third world country! Id rather a foot of snow than sit on the Howard frank-land for two hours in the heavy rain!
Ok, is your place for sale there maybe?

Last edited by 071402; 09-29-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 01:19 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
Kentucky has about 4.5 million people. Lexington KY has 314,000. Hillsborough County by itself has 1,229,000. It increased by 230,000 people in the time you were here. The Tampa Bay areas has over 4 million people, almost as many people as the entire state of Kentucky. Dont you think that would change everything? Increased demand causes higher costs.

88 percent of the population is white or african-american, so where you get "third world country".

Sorry you didnt like Tampa. Perhaps you should have chosen a less urban area.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:12 PM

It's so interesting that one would post about place they allegedly left and negatively. Why would I even bother - wouldn't I be busy and happy loving my newwwwww location? If anything, post on the new state site - wow, i love it here, it's so cheap and clean and blah blah blah.

It almost seems fake.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
It's so interesting that one would post about place they allegedly left and negatively. Why would I even bother - wouldn't I be busy and happy loving my newwwwww location? If anything, post on the new state site - wow, i love it here, it's so cheap and clean and blah blah blah.

It almost seems fake.

Its because they miss it, warts and all.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:03 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
it's so interesting that one would post about place they allegedly left and negatively. Why would i even bother - wouldn't i be busy and happy loving my newwwwww location? If anything, post on the new state site - wow, i love it here, it's so cheap and clean and blah blah blah.

It almost seems fake.
+1

rm

Last edited by MortonR; 09-29-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 03:33 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:

It almost seems fake.
Then those people would say "what are you smoking, Kentucky?"

Here is an interesting Statistics:

Since moving to Kentucky 3-month ago, the person you referenced posted in Florida forum 88 times. In Kentucky? A whopping 3 times. That should say it all.

I personally see many flaws of living here but if I hate it with passion like him, I wouldn't even be looking in that direction let alone to come here and get worked up against the cheerleaders .

Anyways, we don't mind the post....just saying.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:57 PM

No cheerleader here. Believe me I have lived in places you would not even touch a toe in. To each his own, In fact, I'm quite happy one might like something I do not. Should we all be the same? zzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay