Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,344 times

Advertisements

Hi, and thank you everyone for your helpful responses!

I haven't checked this forum in such a while! We have been here for four months now and I LOVE it! We're in a condo on Sand Key, right on the beach- Florida is GORGEOUS! And Sand Key is not junky and crowded with tourists like Clearwater Beach. It's beautiful and quiet! I didn't get the walkable, quirky neighborhood that I wanted, but the view from my bed every morning and walking on the beach every day and having coffee on the balcony more than makes up for it!

We compared prices and we really couldn't afford to live in a trendy neighborhood with parking for 2 vehicles within decent walking distance in a decent, reasonably-sized place... Can you believe that renting a 2bd/2ba beachfront condo is CHEAPER? By the time you figure in some utilities, parking for the 2nd car, the high cost of everything you'd like to buy or eat within walking distance in that trendy neighborhood, safety, the question of available amenities (laundry, pool, hot tub, tennis courts, etc.), it just becomes too much! It was not sustainable or convenient on a daily basis for us. You have to drive absolutely everywhere down here anyway, so why not live at the beach? Pool, hot tub, tennis courts, laundry and 24-hour view and beach access are included! ��

Yeah, I'd prefer my own pool & hot tub, but i could never afford the beach any other way in a million years. And there's no land down here, so there'd be no privacy, anyway. We had over 5 acres up north. That's just not available here. At least, not in our price range, not in this county.

We live right across the street from Columbia Restaurant on Sand Key, which is cool, and there's a couple shops, a deli, a breakfast place, a restaurant, Dunkin Donuts, convenience store, meh. Nothing spectacular but they're there in a pinch. And we're joining the Clearwater Sailing Center right across the street, too. We drive up to the concerts, festivals, restaurants, markets in Dunedin (such an AWESOME little town to visit!)(and so CLOSE!!), or down to Gulfport, or down the coast, or to Vinoy Park or somewhere every weekend.... I really love this area and want to see more of it!

Condo living takes a little getting used to. It's kind of sterile, not neighborhood-y like I was looking for... And we're kind of younger than the general population....A lot of the owners are "snowbirds" so their units were vacant until last month and presumably will be again in May, so its quiet. (But the pool's not crowded!) I'm looking for a job or volunteer organization to join, so- Plus we're in an end unit, so no neighbors, but- more sunshine! And it's SMALL compared to our old house- but we didn't need it anymore anyway & we have plenty enough room for the kids or guests o visit...Its a trade-off.

AND- it is SO MUCH EASIER than owning a house! �� We're thinking about buying it!

I haven't been here long,but I do have some advice. I came from the cold, land-locked North. A beautiful, old, major city- with quaint, quirky neighborhoods that I used to live in before I married; old architecture, world-class universities which attracted a diverse population, great restaurants, museums, galleries- awesome. Then I got married & moved to a rural county with my husband 5 years ago and we had acres of green, a country cottage, private pool, pond, dirt bikes, tractors, teenagers, creeks & canoes, dogs & cats & chickens & ducks...also awesome.

But I never, NEVER had anything like this. This awe-inspiring ocean, this Gulf of Mexico! The beach; the breeze; walking on the hot sand, the wet sand; laying in the sun; swimming in the blue-aqua-turquoise water; the weather, the fog like cotton candy; sitting on my balcony reading, having coffee, dinner, cocktails; watching the sunset every damn day... I never get tired of it. And it kills me every time, every day. I love it here. It is heart-breakingly beautiful. I am so lucky to be here!! Do you life-long Floridians know how lucky you are?!

My advice to anyone thinking about it is this: Move to the beach. Right on the beach. It is more than worth it. You're going to have to drive to pretty much everywhere anyway; grocery stores, probably work, concert and sporting events, etc. You're basically trying to live close to your regular bar & a coffee shop and pay through the nose for it. Not worth it. Buy a Nespresso machine and move to the beach! Free round-the-clock entertainment! If you find a great deal like we did, it might even be cheaper! You can always drive to Dunedin. Gulfport doesn't even have parking meters. But the beach is always there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:18 PM

88 posts, read 108,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojocat View Post
Hi, and thank you everyone for your helpful responses!

I haven't checked this forum in such a while! We have been here for four months now and I LOVE it! We're in a condo on Sand Key, right on the beach- Florida is GORGEOUS! And Sand Key is not junky and crowded with tourists like Clearwater Beach. It's beautiful and quiet! I didn't get the walkable, quirky neighborhood that I wanted, but the view from my bed every morning and walking on the beach every day and having coffee on the balcony more than makes up for it!

We compared prices and we really couldn't afford to live in a trendy neighborhood with parking for 2 vehicles within decent walking distance in a decent, reasonably-sized place... Can you believe that renting a 2bd/2ba beachfront condo is CHEAPER? By the time you figure in some utilities, parking for the 2nd car, the high cost of everything you'd like to buy or eat within walking distance in that trendy neighborhood, safety, the question of available amenities (laundry, pool, hot tub, tennis courts, etc.), it just becomes too much! It was not sustainable or convenient on a daily basis for us. You have to drive absolutely everywhere down here anyway, so why not live at the beach? Pool, hot tub, tennis courts, laundry and 24-hour view and beach access are included! ��

Yeah, I'd prefer my own pool & hot tub, but i could never afford the beach any other way in a million years. And there's no land down here, so there'd be no privacy, anyway. We had over 5 acres up north. That's just not available here. At least, not in our price range, not in this county.

We live right across the street from Columbia Restaurant on Sand Key, which is cool, and there's a couple shops, a deli, a breakfast place, a restaurant, Dunkin Donuts, convenience store, meh. Nothing spectacular but they're there in a pinch. And we're joining the Clearwater Sailing Center right across the street, too. We drive up to the concerts, festivals, restaurants, markets in Dunedin (such an AWESOME little town to visit!)(and so CLOSE!!), or down to Gulfport, or down the coast, or to Vinoy Park or somewhere every weekend.... I really love this area and want to see more of it!

Condo living takes a little getting used to. It's kind of sterile, not neighborhood-y like I was looking for... And we're kind of younger than the general population....A lot of the owners are "snowbirds" so their units were vacant until last month and presumably will be again in May, so its quiet. (But the pool's not crowded!) I'm looking for a job or volunteer organization to join, so- Plus we're in an end unit, so no neighbors, but- more sunshine! And it's SMALL compared to our old house- but we didn't need it anymore anyway & we have plenty enough room for the kids or guests o visit...Its a trade-off.

AND- it is SO MUCH EASIER than owning a house! �� We're thinking about buying it!

I haven't been here long,but I do have some advice. I came from the cold, land-locked North. A beautiful, old, major city- with quaint, quirky neighborhoods that I used to live in before I married; old architecture, world-class universities which attracted a diverse population, great restaurants, museums, galleries- awesome. Then I got married & moved to a rural county with my husband 5 years ago and we had acres of green, a country cottage, private pool, pond, dirt bikes, tractors, teenagers, creeks & canoes, dogs & cats & chickens & ducks...also awesome.

But I never, NEVER had anything like this. This awe-inspiring ocean, this Gulf of Mexico! The beach; the breeze; walking on the hot sand, the wet sand; laying in the sun; swimming in the blue-aqua-turquoise water; the weather, the fog like cotton candy; sitting on my balcony reading, having coffee, dinner, cocktails; watching the sunset every damn day... I never get tired of it. And it kills me every time, every day. I love it here. It is heart-breakingly beautiful. I am so lucky to be here!! Do you life-long Floridians know how lucky you are?!

My advice to anyone thinking about it is this: Move to the beach. Right on the beach. It is more than worth it. You're going to have to drive to pretty much everywhere anyway; grocery stores, probably work, concert and sporting events, etc. You're basically trying to live close to your regular bar & a coffee shop and pay through the nose for it. Not worth it. Buy a Nespresso machine and move to the beach! Free round-the-clock entertainment! If you find a great deal like we did, it might even be cheaper! You can always drive to Dunedin. Gulfport doesn't even have parking meters. But the beach is always there....
So glad you are enjoying it here. We came from Maryland, and I must agree the Gulf and Beaches are amazing! There is no chance I would ever consider moving back.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:51 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,750 times
I am very happy for you and your husband. Congrats. but there is just one problem with living on Sand Key.

Two words, "Spring Break". The problem stems from, very heavy traffic, for about 6 weeks, on the Clearwater Beach side of Clearwater. It could take you well over an hour and a half, to drive off the beaches/to the beaches depending on the time of the day starting March and all the way past Easter, which is on April 16. It happens every year, there is no avoiding it.

I would strongly suggest, driving south through Belleair Beach, take a left at the Belleair Causeway, which is also called West Bay Drive, to do your shopping or getting to work faster.

Here is a list of local schools taking spring break.

Pinellas county schools March 11-March 19th
University of South Florida March 11-March 19th
St. Petersburg College March 4-March 12th
The University of Tampa March 4-March 12th

And then add on all the Canadians, New York Yankees fans, Philadelphia Phillies fans for Spring Break Baseball. And not to forget all the local beach bums, which I am one proudly, to go fish, swim, take a local boat cruise.

Getting stuck in all the traffic may make you feel this way. Little Funny Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgS4...NdlFUtEOSoQcgQ

Old 02-22-2017, 08:35 AM

133 posts, read 149,451 times
So happy for you that you love where you are! That makes the stress of moving melt away! I would seriously love to live right on the beach and see the water every morning I wake up... but... I worry about flooding and/or a major storm bc I need a single family house and a yard. Not sure you'd have to worry about flooding as much if you were in a condo though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay