Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,342 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job in Oldsmar, but he only has to be in the office a day or so a week, most days he'll be on various sites, so I can choose where we relocate! But we are a kind of quirky couple, kids grown, in our late 40's....we want to be able to walk to cool independent restaurants, attend unique events, see concerts, sunsets ( apparently mandatory round these parts!) boat, market, find cool stuff, you know- regular stuff. I'd like to get involved in some kind of civic art program...I'd also like to get a golf cart...I have researched EXTENSIVELY: I've kind of narrowed it down to maybe Tarpon Springs, near the sponge docks; downtown Dunedin, walking distance to everything, plus you get to have a golf cart!; Downtown Clearwater condo, with views of harbor and walkable to Capitol Theater, restaurants and park, but am thinking it still may be too small, creepy & crappy(Scientology), and the beach too touristy- I don't know?, ; The Historic Kenwood neighborhood bordering on the Grand Central District in St. Pete also seems super cool and walkable; and finally, Gulfport! Which seems so sweet and quirky and you get to have a golf cart again...I know this is a super long thread, but does anyone know anything about any of these neighborhoods? We need some guidance! Any advice at all will be appreciated! Thank you so much! And I did look into downtown St. Pete and Hyde Park and Historic NE: all too pricey for us....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 05:23 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,014 times
Sounds super exciting to say the least. I've said it a few times now but curious as to what you might think: ::::: the area in NE st pete, 39th Avenue NE 41st Avenue NE and up to 44th Avenue NE.

Quiet, close, affordable and really cute. Do you know it - think the realtors are calling it northeast park. And there are two nice parks near it, Crisp and I forget the other. GL.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:53 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
In Gulfport, you don't need a golfcart....walk or get a bike, it's healthier! BTW, we chose Gulfport after renting houses for a month in each of the downtowns of Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Gulfport. We found Dunedin a tad too conservative and SH more family-oriented. Gulfport has a funkier vibe and we love it here.

When we want to experience a bigger city and what it has to offer, we bop over to DTSP in a 12 minute car ride.

We moved to the Historic Waterfront area of Gulfport in early 2014 and here's what we can walk to in under 10 minutes:

The beach where we see dolphins daily along with huge variety of seabirds
City fishing pier to watch fishermen and mullet netters
Local restaurants (12+ all independent, no chains)
Retail shops
Library
Yoga Studios (2 private) in addition to City classes at Rec Center
Post Office
City-owned Marina
Parks (5 parks, including 2 dedicated dog parks)
City Tennis Courts
Public beach volleyball courts
Dance Ballroom (City Owned, also the venue for art shows, galas and private weddings/parties)
Live Theatre
City Rec Center
City Government Offices
Convenience stores (2, each of which has foods for carryout: one Greek, one Thai)
Weekly Daytime Fresh Market
Twice a month evening Art Walks
Almost weekly events downtown

I wouldn't live anywhere else in Florida!

See picks and info here:
Visit Gulfport Florida | Gulfport

Last edited by dothetwist; 09-21-2016 at 06:59 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 06:11 AM

18 posts, read 17,248 times
I would personally vote for Dunedin or a few parts of Tarpon Springs. It can make a difference since sometimes rentals are a bit challenging in those areas.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-22-2016 at 10:15 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 05:26 PM

828 posts, read 691,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
In Gulfport, you don't need a golfcart....walk or get a bike, it's healthier! BTW, we chose Gulfport after renting houses for a month in each of the downtowns of Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Gulfport. We found Dunedin a tad too conservative and SH more family-oriented. Gulfport has a funkier vibe and we love it here.

When we want to experience a bigger city and what it has to offer, we bop over to DTSP in a 12 minute car ride.

We moved to the Historic Waterfront area of Gulfport in early 2014 and here's what we can walk to in under 10 minutes:

The beach where we see dolphins daily along with huge variety of seabirds
City fishing pier to watch fishermen and mullet netters
Local restaurants (12+ all independent, no chains)
Retail shops
Library
Yoga Studios (2 private) in addition to City classes at Rec Center
Post Office
City-owned Marina
Parks (5 parks, including 2 dedicated dog parks)
City Tennis Courts
Public beach volleyball courts
Dance Ballroom (City Owned, also the venue for art shows, galas and private weddings/parties)
Live Theatre
City Rec Center
City Government Offices
Convenience stores (2, each of which has foods for carryout: one Greek, one Thai)
Weekly Daytime Fresh Market
Twice a month evening Art Walks
Almost weekly events downtown

I wouldn't live anywhere else in Florida!

See picks and info here:
Visit Gulfport Florida | Gulfport
I live near downtown St Pete, and the only other place that I would consider is Gulfport unless I had a house right at Pass-a-Grille beach maybe.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:41 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
I live near downtown St Pete, and the only other place that I would consider is Gulfport unless I had a house right at Pass-a-Grille beach maybe.
I cannot imagine the traffic getting in and out of pass a grille daily though - stores, work, etc....

Old 09-25-2016, 11:34 AM

76 posts, read 108,468 times
For that area, Gulfport is good compared to other areas. Depends on your budget as well.

Be careful where you move to, once you look around you'll see a lot of disadvantaged areas. Not sure where you are moving from or what you are accustomed to.

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-02-2016 at 03:46 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 01:49 PM

232 posts, read 348,262 times
I've lived in Dunedin and currently live in Safety Harbor. I'm older than you, so I chose Safety Harbor because it's half the size of Dunedin in population and size. I love it here. Safe and quaint.

But for you I would recommend Dunedin. There are more things happening there. Downtown, marina, Pinellas trail, Dunedin Beach, and interesting shops, restaurants and events.

I know lots of people on this forum love Gulfport. To me, it was a little close to the nastiness of South St Pete.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:14 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Have you checked out Ozona? Small and walkable, not a lot of stuff but a neat little community.

RM

Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 AM

25 posts, read 47,336 times
We just bought a home in Dunedin. We will be going back and forth between FL and CT. We are also in our late 40's and we love everything about Dunedin. We have been looking for five years in the area. Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay