Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:29 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
OP, I agree with Paradise Lost. The traffic is horrible here. And only going to get worse, as people keep moving here. Transportation Dept. can't keep up with road construction and repairs. I just hate the amount of people you have to deal with all day long! Cars, bikes, pedestrians, school busses, snowbirds, tourists... It's becoming hell on earth.

A lot of posters on here are in love with Florida. That's their choice, but it isn't a paradise. And your daughter will have to pay out of state tuition.

It is very dependent on where you live on how you perceive the situation. Its far from "hell on earth" where I live and its not "hell on earth" for most people in FL who do not live in places that contain 3 million people or more.

I spent 30 years living in NYC and 17 years in Orlando. I will never again live less than 40 miles from a metro area. We have almost 200k people in Hernando County and it continues to grow. It will never, in my lifetime, reach proportions where I feel its over crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
The problem with reading apartment ratings online is that almost all of them are bad no matter what complex you look at. Three out of 5 stars is about the best you'll find for most places. So it's very hard to decide. If you make a decision based on ratings, you might end up not even moving anywhere. There just isn't anywhere good to live, or hardly, and that's basically just how it is. I find myself moving about once every 3 years on average because they play games and jack up the rent by big amounts so you're forced to move. I have yet to find a stable affordable apartment that isn't run by a greedy management company.
Most people are quick to express their unhappiness in an on line rating system. Those who are content with a situation really dont bother to rate their experiences which heavily skews the balance.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:45 PM

22 posts, read 22,977 times
The Tampa Bay Area is a pretty ****ty place to live. The quality of life is primitive. If you can't afford to fly down and at least see an area that you are going to be living in, then you shouldn't bother moving to Tampa! There are a lot of shady areas everywhere. I lived in what was considered to be a "good area" in the TBA and it still felt like a dump to me. Unless you have some specific reason that requires you to live in Tampa Bay, just don't. Your daughter would be better off attending a real school in a real city with real culture! Don't do it! I feel fortunate that I had the funds to move myself and all of my belongings back up north. Some people get stuck down there and they never escape.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:51 AM

240 posts, read 286,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
You're always free to leave.
Yeah I've heard this before. Telling me to leave doesn't change the way things are in this area.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:00 AM

240 posts, read 286,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It is very dependent on where you live on how you perceive the situation. Its far from "hell on earth" where I live and its not "hell on earth" for most people in FL who do not live in places that contain 3 million people or more.

I spent 30 years living in NYC and 17 years in Orlando. I will never again live less than 40 miles from a metro area. We have almost 200k people in Hernando County and it continues to grow. It will never, in my lifetime, reach proportions where I feel its over crowded.
Don't try to compare Hernando County with Pinellas. As someone pointed out a while back, you're barely in the Tampa Bay area! Over 3000 people per sq. mile here in Pinellas. And growing, without the space to accommodate the growth. Cheap apartments going up on any vacant land we have left. Pinellas is very badly planned due to greed for the almighty dollar.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:03 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Yeah I've heard this before. Telling me to leave doesn't change the way things are in this area.
It's an option! Thankfully a free country, move about as we please.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Don't try to compare Hernando County with Pinellas. As someone pointed out a while back, you're barely in the Tampa Bay area! Over 3000 people per sq. mile here in Pinellas. And growing, without the space to accommodate the growth. Cheap apartments going up on any vacant land we have left. Pinellas is very badly planned due to greed for the almighty dollar.
I am certainly NOT comparing Hernando to Pinellas (or Hillsborough) as they are two different worlds.
I would be in northern Citrus if I didnt work.

Pinellas/Hillsborough are like the Orlando metro. Everybody and their brother wants to live there. People from small cities and town are lost in the crowd because it is denser than anywhere they've been.

Transplants tend to seek out large cities so they have a wider selection of everything. Housing, jobs, shopping, health care, etc. They do not realize how many other people are seeking the same thing and the whole plan crumbles and they blame the entire stqte for their woes.

Money drives the world. In Brooklyn NY they are tearing down 100+ year old Victorian houses to build apartment buildings with 600-800 square foot apartments which rent for $2,000 a month and higher.
It happened in San Francisco, Seattle, most cities. Growth will be vertical.

I am not concerned that I dont live in the metro Tampa Bay area, in fact I relish the thought.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Not you or anybody else is going to change anything there, at least in a backward direction so its either button up and live with it or move on.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchere90 View Post
The Tampa Bay Area is a pretty ****ty place to live. The quality of life is primitive. If you can't afford to fly down and at least see an area that you are going to be living in, then you shouldn't bother moving to Tampa! There are a lot of shady areas everywhere. I lived in what was considered to be a "good area" in the TBA and it still felt like a dump to me. Unless you have some specific reason that requires you to live in Tampa Bay, just don't. Your daughter would be better off attending a real school in a real city with real culture! Don't do it! I feel fortunate that I had the funds to move myself and all of my belongings back up north. Some people get stuck down there and they never escape.

The bottom line for anyone contemplating living in Tampa is if you have not lived in a high density city you wont like Tampa unless you are ready to accept what is.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:39 AM

22 posts, read 22,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The bottom line for anyone contemplating living in Tampa is if you have not lived in a high density city you wont like Tampa unless you are ready to accept what is.
I lived in a highly populated, relatively dense city before moving to the Tampa Bay Area. The difference is that, the city I moved from had somewhat intelligently designed infrastructure. You know, working highway systems to handle the growing population. How things are engineered makes such a huge difference. I felt like everything in Tampa Bay was very spread out and inconvenient. There also seemed to be a huge lack of amenities, period. For example, in the city I live in now, no matter what I need, I can go out anytime day or night and get it (without driving more than 5 minutes). This is something I never considered to be a luxury before. But in TBA, it was such a pain to first locate a place that actually sold what you needed and then to drive there (without making several u-turns and going way out of your way). It seems there are tons and tons of run-down strip malls, yet very few shopping centers that actually have stores that have things people need and want. Also, if you like having access to high-quality groceries and enjoy a wide variety of grocery stores to choose from, you will not like Tampa.

Hopefully, in time, it will develop into something better. But I'm not holding my breath!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay