U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:02 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,564,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntfeldman View Post
You're moving here at one of the best times of year for weather and there are lots of fun things going on all year.

Welcome!

In July? Maybe not. But the good news is, about the time you get here will be as wretchedly hot and humid as it's going to get, and about the time the shiny wears off your new living situation, the weather will be getting a lot better.
I'd totally go with living in South Tampa and commuting to the beach. You won't mind the commute to play nearly as much as you would the commute to work-- and you'll also have the impetus to check out several different beaches. Once you've lived here awhile you'll probably find that the ones you liked initially have given way to others you never knew about.
My personal feeling about Brandon/Riverview/Valrico is that the area's fine if you like endless fields o'houses, but you can have that in Nebraska or Michigan or New York, so why move here for it? I know other people like the predictibility of suburbia, though, so determine what your prioritities are in a dwelling. Frequently it's a trade-off of charm vs decent water pressure, but sometimes you're lucky enough to find both.
And congratulations on finding a place that fits. Some people never quite find that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 PM

86 posts, read 395,777 times
*sigh* I don't know what to do.....but I'm leaning back towards St. Pete. I feel like a tree blowing around in a hurricane!

Kim

Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 PM

1,641 posts, read 4,690,650 times
I have to second that S Tampa is a better bet for you. But if you are leaning towards St. Pete, I still don't think your commute will be that awful. As a professor, you may not have to have your first classes early in the morning? I mean, even if you do, I still don's see your commute being so horrendous.

Nothing wrong with Brandon area, but it is actually very congested as well as not on the beach. Since you want beaches, then I think you should continue your search in Pinellas county, and not worry so much about the commute.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:41 AM

Oh boy, I'm so up in the air I can't see straight. One day I think South Tampa, another day I think St. Pete. There are so many great things about both. *sigh* I really do want to be in the "thick of it" one more time before I get to the age where I won't want to deal with it anymore. I'm 37... I'll need to make a trip there once again to see how I like the individual places. I keep thinking about the Quarter at Ybor. All I want is convenience and to be sure I have a place to at least get my dog on the grass a bit. Thanks all!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,947,617 times
I'd be cautious about YBOR. I know that area has a lot of improved development, but it seems to me that the crime is higher in that area than many other areas in the city.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 AM

You're right bucfan.....I checked "crime tracker" on Tampa Bay Breaking News, weather, sports and things to do from TBO.com - Tampa Bay Online. and crime is pretty high over there....now if I could find an updated place on Davis that doesn't burn a hole in my pocket financially, I'd be doing really well! Anyone have a place for rent?

Old 02-29-2008, 11:01 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,795,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtex23 View Post
You're right bucfan.....I checked "crime tracker" on Tampa Bay Breaking News, weather, sports and things to do from TBO.com - Tampa Bay Online. and crime is pretty high over there....now if I could find an updated place on Davis that doesn't burn a hole in my pocket financially, I'd be doing really well! Anyone have a place for rent?
How's this place...I love Davis Islands, excellent dog park on the beach.
Historic Mirasol Waterfront Property, Davis Islands (broken link)

Old 02-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Awww, that place looks great but I have a pup and they don't allow pets. *sigh* Thanks though!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:28 PM

13,773 posts, read 35,107,562 times
Well, you do have time to find just the right place. Maybe come back for another visit. Check out the different areas and traffic to/from the places you are considering.

In the meantime, just keep asking... and don't forget to breath!!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 PM

Hey, thanks! I do get so excited sometimes I forget to breathe. hehe You guys rock.

Thanks,

Kim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay