Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 PM

86 posts, read 432,165 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I took a trip to Tampa bay this past weekend to interview for a teaching position at the University of Tampa. I couldn't have asked for the day to go any better, OInor could I ever ask for anything more from a workplace. For the first time in my life, I feel as if I *fit in*. It seems that's what many of us are looking for, and perhaps your definition of fitting in is different than mine.....but it's where I fit, gelled, felt s one withk and was just plain ole' comfy wiht the staff and the area. Although I do have to say I got out to get gas one time and didn't feel all that safe, but hey, hopping back in the vehicle and screaming away down the road is always an option at that point.

So......I really did like the area between Gandy/275, but I'm a little concerned about the commute to UT. I'll need to go in 2-3 days a week, so at least it's not every day. But, I really, really, really like the beaches out at Madiera, St. Pete, etc. but I'm thinking it woudln't be so bright to commute that far to UT.

How about living in someplace like Brandon or Riverview? Plenty of friends and family have been saying how much they want to visit me in the area since it's such a nice area to visit. I was thinking a 1 bedroom with a den or a 2 bedroom would be good, but I'm starting to wonder if I need to go a litle bigger from there.

Does anyone know anyone who will have a rental home that will come available in July? It's not that far away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 04:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Brandon to Riverview isn't a bad drive on the Selman Expressway.

Recommend talking to your new workmates for suggestions.

Personally, I'd buy/rent a condo on Harbor Island which is right in the vacinity of U of Tampa and the city. You may be able to find a place for $200k.

Last edited by BucFan; 02-23-2008 at 04:51 AM..

Old 02-23-2008, 07:14 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
WoW.. that is so great.. I am sure you will be happy there.
There are many great places to live in the Tpa bay area, depending on your needs and wants.
We have some great folks here who are some of the best at guiding ppl to the right area.

Make a list and post it. What is important to you? Any idea of work schedule?

Old 02-23-2008, 12:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Meant to post Brandon/Riverview to downtown Tampa isn't a bad commute.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:30 PM

169 posts, read 1,069,400 times
How exciting for you, welcome! The S. Tampa area has so much to offer.

I'm going to suggest that you contact the Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce and request a relocation guide. It's a wonderful book that covers the entire metro area with maps and guides that you will find helpful.

There's oodles of housing options in the city at the moment from midrise condos to townhomes to single family homes in a wide variety of price ranges. I always suggest that newcomers rent for at least their first 6 months. That way you get a chance to see where you'll really be spending most of your time in the regular cycle of job/friends/free time. This way, if you find your first choice wasn't your best, you don't have to sell something, just give notice and move. Besides, prices here continue to drop. Chances are good whatever you find today will be cheaper in 6 mos. maybe not by much but even a few thousand dollars can make a difference.

Let me suggest some condos that are close to the U. Tampa area:

Hyde Park Place
Hyde Park Walk
Bayshore Royal
345 Bayshore and
Parkside

Generally for apartments rents run aprox $1.00/sq.ft. per month. For condos in S. Tampa you may pay a little more. Get a little further away from that area and the prices go down some.

There are some properties in downtown Tampa for lease too. Best bet may be to get a realtor to assist you.

There's tons of homes to choose from in the Brandon / Valrico area for .70 to .80 /sq.ft. per month and you'll get a yard but if you're going to spend the difference in gas you're probably better off enjoying the benefits of living in S. Tampa. Brandon/Valrico are sub-urban. Nice, just sub-urban.

You're moving here at one of the best times of year for weather and there are lots of fun things going on all year.

Welcome!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks, all! Boy, I sure was tired when I posted that. I had all sorts of typos. Oops.

Thanks a bunch for all the great info. I'm so excited, I can hardly wait!

K

Old 02-23-2008, 05:58 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Red face hi, just saw this after PM

brandon will take almost as long at certain times and no beach etc. it's total suburbia. Just go a little more into Hyde Park SoHO from Gandy and you'll be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtex23 View Post
Hi All:

I took a trip to Tampa bay this past weekend to interview for a teaching position at the University of Tampa. I couldn't have asked for the day to go any better, OInor could I ever ask for anything more from a workplace. For the first time in my life, I feel as if I *fit in*. It seems that's what many of us are looking for, and perhaps your definition of fitting in is different than mine.....but it's where I fit, gelled, felt s one withk and was just plain ole' comfy wiht the staff and the area. Although I do have to say I got out to get gas one time and didn't feel all that safe, but hey, hopping back in the vehicle and screaming away down the road is always an option at that point.

So......I really did like the area between Gandy/275, but I'm a little concerned about the commute to UT. I'll need to go in 2-3 days a week, so at least it's not every day. But, I really, really, really like the beaches out at Madiera, St. Pete, etc. but I'm thinking it woudln't be so bright to commute that far to UT.

How about living in someplace like Brandon or Riverview? Plenty of friends and family have been saying how much they want to visit me in the area since it's such a nice area to visit. I was thinking a 1 bedroom with a den or a 2 bedroom would be good, but I'm starting to wonder if I need to go a litle bigger from there.

Does anyone know anyone who will have a rental home that will come available in July? It's not that far away

Old 02-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Thanks! I have been looking around at condos online in South Tampa, SoHo, Hyde, etc. and I think that will be the area for me. I really liked the atmosphere....and I can go to the beach on the weekends. Wooh! Thanks!!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
S. Tampa would be a good area.. you might want to check out Davis Island too. Very close to UT.. There are apts etc for rent. Most are older apts but a lot of the medical personel since Tampa General is on the island. Surrounded by the bay, off Bayshore Blvd. There are also apts, townhomes all around S. tampa. Check out Westshore Blvd too. If you are looking for a house, ask here.. some areas are not bad, just not the best...

Just ask.. we are here to help

Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
brandon will take almost as long at certain times and no beach etc. it's total suburbia. Just go a little more into Hyde Park SoHO from Gandy and you'll be ok.
I disagree..

Beaches would be an hour plus. I drive Brandon to the Carrollwood area in less then an hour.. He/She'd be going from Brandon to downtown via Crosstown. 20 minutes tops..

I'd take that commute anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay