Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:35 AM

4,416 posts, read 3,762,992 times

Advertisements

Neither Fiji nor Pitcairn Islands are popular destinations.

Thailand and Hawaii are another story. Very popular and a nonstop to Maui would be fab!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:38 PM

5,908 posts, read 7,241,767 times
I don't believe you can fly into the Pitcairn Iskands. I think it's by ship only, and not too many of those as it is.

At least that's how I recall it from when I was working in that part of the world (Vanuatu, Marshall Islands, etc., none of which are anywhere near the Pitcairn Islands.)

RM

Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 AM

133 posts, read 129,803 times
It's just a complete overstatement to state that Tampa's Airport "sucks". It's not ATL or DFW, but it's pretty damn good when compared to a heck of a lot of other cities its size and demographic. It serves the region quite well, combined with Sarasota and Ft. Myers. We can live with that.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:48 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,865,961 times
I too would like to see more non-stops to major Euro cities. Like most people, when we fly to Europe, upon landing we're pretty darn tired and don't want to have to make another transfer from a foreign airport like Heathrow or Zurich.

We've used American from TPA to MIA to Madrid and Barcelona 5 times in the past 3 years. Getting to MIA is fine, BUT the connections between MIA to TPA leave a lot to be desired in the time frame these Spain flights arrive at MIA. Sitting around waiting for a transfer after a Euro flight is tiring and boring. We fly business class, so we get to use AA's lounge at MIA, but still, there's too much time to kill.

Same issue when flying to Mexico (GDL, QRO, MEX), where we've used both United and AA out of TPA, via IAH or DFW. For short trips (under 2 weeks) it's faster (and cheaper) for us to drive to MCO (Orlando) and take a Volaris non-stop to GDL. Longer than 2 weeks and the cost of parking at MCO is prohibitive. And the flight times on Volaris from MCO to GDL are sweet....mid-day departure and arrival, so no driving in the dark to/from MCO to home in Gulfport.

TPA worked well for us 2013-2015 when we had an elderly relative who needed our assistance in DC-Metro. There were 8 or more non-stops from TPA to either DCA or IAD (I think there are less now after the AA/USAir merger). For flights to North East US, TPA is great.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:15 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
TPA is always getting positive feedback for how clear the signage is to point out where to park or where to get or drop off a rental car and once entering the airport that continues.

Free wireless is not provided at every airport and therefore I can only say that TPA is a great airport and to have that in Tampa is something we all should be proud off as it add to what Tampa Bay has to offer.

Another benefit to me is the location so close to malls that if you leave and experience a long delay you can always go to the mall and head back as we have done after checking in luggage and than heading to the mall and returning to be on time to go through security.

Due to all the additional security checking and longer lines due to the government not able to run the TSA very well, is why lines are getting longer and longer but that is not TPA's fault.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I too would like to see more non-stops to major Euro cities. Like most people, when we fly to Europe, upon landing we're pretty darn tired and don't want to have to make another transfer from a foreign airport like Heathrow or Zurich.

We've used American from TPA to MIA to Madrid and Barcelona 5 times in the past 3 years. Getting to MIA is fine, BUT the connections between MIA to TPA leave a lot to be desired in the time frame these Spain flights arrive at MIA. Sitting around waiting for a transfer after a Euro flight is tiring and boring. We fly business class, so we get to use AA's lounge at MIA, but still, there's too much time to kill.

Same issue when flying to Mexico (GDL, QRO, MEX), where we've used both United and AA out of TPA, via IAH or DFW. For short trips (under 2 weeks) it's faster (and cheaper) for us to drive to MCO (Orlando) and take a Volaris non-stop to GDL. Longer than 2 weeks and the cost of parking at MCO is prohibitive. And the flight times on Volaris from MCO to GDL are sweet....mid-day departure and arrival, so no driving in the dark to/from MCO to home in Gulfport.

TPA worked well for us 2013-2015 when we had an elderly relative who needed our assistance in DC-Metro. There were 8 or more non-stops from TPA to either DCA or IAD (I think there are less now after the AA/USAir merger). For flights to North East US, TPA is great.
EXACTLY. Reps for you!!!!

Old 10-18-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyVincente View Post
It's just a complete overstatement to state that Tampa's Airport "sucks". It's not ATL or DFW, but it's pretty damn good when compared to a heck of a lot of other cities its size and demographic. It serves the region quite well, combined with Sarasota and Ft. Myers. We can live with that.
It's just a complete overstatement to state that Tampa's Airport is "pretty damn good."

Old 10-18-2016, 01:52 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,216,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I hear you for Mexico, we like to go to Cancun (Riviera Maya) and Cabo, no direct flights to there. We also like to go to Punta Cana, but no direct flights there either. MIA is best option, but as you noted with MCO parking is too costly and with early flights would need to get hotel night before. Strangely Southwest has flights to all (with companion pass through end of next year, that would really be our airline of choice), but requires connection including Atlanta, Baltimore or Chicago. Mexico so close and yet so far from TPA.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,338,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
It's just a complete overstatement to state that Tampa's Airport is "pretty damn good."
Just as easy as it is for you to dream up routes that aren't realistic. Hmm.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:42 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,482,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Just as easy as it is for you to dream up routes that aren't realistic. Hmm.
Particularly as Paris has seen an 11% drop in tourist numbers this year due to recent terrorist attacks and other issues such as strikes and floods.

Even before the terrorist attacks there has also been rising alarm at the amount of crime in Paris as the region is swamped by huge numbers of illegal immigrants from Syria,Africa and Eastern Europe.

The number of flights booked to France by American visitors in the last week of July alone,traditionally one of the busiest weeks for transatlantic traffic,was down by 19.2 %.

No airline in their right mind would risk opening a direct route from a regional airport in Florida given these sort of figures.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160810/in-n...serting-france
http://www.thelocal.fr/20160808/rich...r-terror-fears

Don't get me wrong I like to visit France although Paris less so as it's rather a dirty city inhabited by the most snobbish people in Europe.I'd much rather visit London
But the south of France and wine-growing regions are superb for their gastronomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay