Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 AM

47 posts, read 165,253 times

Advertisements

We just left from a week in Tampa to officially decide if we wanted to move there. I have pros and cons plus our decision...
Cons:
1.The thunder & lightening frightened the hell out of me!! We live in Michigan and have NEVER had lightening like that! Does this only happen during hurricane season? It rained so hard on Thursday, we literally had to pull over on the highway (we were petrified!!)
2. The traffic can be unpleasant, but from reading the threads, we left the hotel AFTER traffic in the morning, and waited till afterhours to head back. However, we noticed traffic jams still existed on I-75 and I-4 even after 6:30 coming from Downtown to New Tampa area!!! The highways could be better to accomodate the 3 million+people? who commute there.
3. Downtown after 9:00pm was a ghost town. Nothing to do! I think we landed in an area with lots of restaurants that were open till around 11--I think it was Ybor city. It seemed like we were the only ones there! I would have liked to have gone to a nice diverse club on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening--but we came back home on Friday (no weekend).

Now for the Pros:
1. We stayed in The Sailport Inn on the Bay and it was a PLEASANT experience!! The views are amazing! Inexpensive hotel, close to everything--right on the water. Rooms are outdated and needs updating, but they are spacious one or two bedrooms, with balcony directly on the Bay. We loved it!

2. We were planning to visit St. Pete, Land O'Lakes, New Tampa and Carrollwood/Westchase areas. Drove toward Land O'Lakes/Zephyrhills and hated it! Too far out and country (horse ranches, etc.) New Tampa was our first stop--and we never went anywhere else!!! We spent 3 out of 4 days there--going through almost every apartment !!!! I didn't know Florida had other beautiful trees besides Palm trees! What are they????The views in New Tampa is gorgeous! We are seriously considering Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel or The Vinings at Hunter's Green. And just a heads up--there are really good apartment specials going on right now--because alot of the apartments realized that the Condo business wasn't working--so now everyone is reverting back to apartment leases with one and two month free specials. Check it out! What I need to know is which is better between the two I mentioned (cost of living, jobs, schools, etc)? Seven Oaks has the best amenities hands down from all the apartments in that area (for children of course), and BEAUTIFUL walking trails, pools, etc. However, I kinda like Wharton High better (Hillsb. Cnty), because my children are involved in plenty sports. Any suggestions on Wesley Chapel high schools? Suggestions on why we should choose Seven Oaks opposed to Wharton area apartments/homes? Please help us decide...

3. Amongst all the above, we have decided to definitely move. We came straight home and advertised our home for Rent or sale. We loved Clearwater beach, we even landed in a mall area near the Tampa airport that we enjoyed (ate at Cheesecake Factory). The sunshine was great! Although folks complained about it being the hottest day of the summer. We had a convertible & had the top down all day! Jobs seem to be plenty, yet the downside is trying to find something near New Tampa without the commute to Downtown (terrible traffic), unfortunately, New tampa only has banks and small shopping centers (places that doesn't pay as great!). What is the nearest city (near New Tampa) that provides a variety of jobs (not downtown)????? However, New Tampa is a great place to start a small business! (because so many people are moving there).

My suggestion to those that are trying to find where to go in Tampa. Go where your lifestyle fits you most. Me, I love the surburb, lush greenery, small lakes, plenty amenities and activities in master planned communities/neighborhoods. Love to see folks bike riding, walking and/or just enjoying life. Since we never made it to the many other areas of Tampa, if you feel that the other areas that I mentioned above is just as nice, please reply (it would be worth looking into...especially for our first year there.)
Either way...we will be a Tampa residence by the end of next month!!!!!!

Good luck to those of you who are still considering your move...Those of you who live in New Tampa, please indulge me with more details!! How is the weather (what type of clothes is suitable during colder seasons)? Do you live in one of the apartments? What do you like most--what don't you like (besides Traffic)? Does your kid attend a middle or high school there, are the kids happy in this area??...tell me more...

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable advice that is posted on these threads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,375,978 times
Sounds liek it was a productive and postive experience overall..Welcome To Tampa!(soon)

Your Cons-
1) Thunderstorms and ightning occur mostly in the summer months from June through September. They happen almost lie clockwork in the mid to late afternoons, beautiful monrings, then major storm, then nice sunsets. Some can bigger then others, and they are spotty(some areas get it, some day everyday), that is why you alwats see the same forecast in the summer(Sun/Clouds/40% chance thunderstorm), and 40% in the summer means that 40% of the viewing area will get hit, as opposed to a 40% chance the entire area will get hit.

2)Traffic is traffic, and its a cake walk compared to larger metropolitan areas such as Atlanta, DC, NY, Chicago, Boston, LA, Houston, etc., but it is here. All that has to happen is an accident, and you can pretty much see traffic on any roadways. Living in New Tampa, and commuting to downtown Tampa/Westshore you will be in the brunt of the traffic, but typically its 7-9am, and 330-630pm in and around the downtown highway areas.

3)Downtown core is onlyalive when the hotels are full, or big conventions are in town, or there is a festival, activity, sporting event in the area. There are over 6000 residential units planned and currently being built in the downtown core, only about 600 people actually LIVE in downtown now, but thats soon to change. The areas just outside downtown are where the action is(Channelside, Ybor City, Hyde Park/SOHO districts, neighborhoods in South Tampa). Ybor can be quiter on the weekdays, but there are many excellent restaurants to take advantage of, for a livelier crowd in Ybor, its typically Thurs-Saturday.

Pros-
1)Glad you liked Sailport, it is one of the older hotels in that area of Tampa - Rocky Point.

2)For what you say you are looking for(suburbs, planned communities, nature, etc.) New Tamp sounds like a good match. The entire Wilderness park system is in this area(Three major parks), along with Hillsborough River there is planty of getting outdoors up there. Also though, there is alot of traffic, and alot of construction, it is still being built out. I cannot comment on the two areas you looked at or schools.

3) MetLife southeast headquarters are in New Tampa, along with USAA, T-Mobile, SynQuest headquarters, so there are many higher paying jobs than just retail. Also, down the road(I-75) is other large corporate parks(Sabal Park), with many corporate businesses(Progressive, Citi, Home Depot). Need to check out monster, careerbuilder, and tbo.com. No need to commute downtown or westshore for a good paying job. And about opening a sdmall business, just find out what New Tampa doesnt have, and open it, your sure to eb a success as long as you have a unique niche that is needed(there are so many copy cat businesses).

Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,063 times
You've your answer right there for it looks like your pros outweigh the cons.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 AM

47 posts, read 165,253 times
Thanks Tampaguy03, that's just the info that we needed! I felt bad when I got home, because we had only seen half of what we planned to see. I figure after renting a year, if we spot another area we like (maybe closer to the water), we'll just move!!! good concept huh!

And the lightening!!! whew...I can sigh now. ha-ha- A couple apt consultants actually wouldn't take us out to see the property/apt...because of the lightening! Which was their miss--cause we left and saw other properties we liked and never made it back to theirs.

Thank you for mentioning the names of the companies, this is great! I'm in my mid thirties and have worked a variety of jobs like customer service, banking, sales, administration, beauty salons, you name it!! I'm sure I'd find something nearby that fits my experience & our financial goals.

I appreciate it! Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:42 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
I agree with all that tampaguy said (he always gives such GREAT info! ) and honestly think you don't need to look elsewhere than New Tampa/Wesley Chapel. Also, remember that USF is not far either, and there may be job opportunities there as well. There is still much more to be built in the area, so I am certain there will be plenty of job opportunities.

You asked about clothing for the cooler weather - it just doesn't get that cold in that area. For me personally, long sleeves shirts and a light sweater or jacket are all I ever need - no heavy long coats or anything. You will love it!

Good luck on your move!

Old 07-22-2007, 06:59 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,294 times
I love those thunderstorms! They get me all excited when there's those really big thunders and everyone screams. It used to scare me, but you just get used to it after a while. It just becomes something you go through everyday.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,375,978 times
Nothing like a nice nap during a thunderstorm.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 48,233 times
Keep in mind...central Fla. is the lightning capitol of north america..

Old 07-23-2007, 02:43 PM
AAB

3 posts, read 6,397 times
You all also helped me, I haven't visited yet but looking for some of the same amentities, traffic no problem I lived in LA for 3 years could it be any worse? I also would be attending USF. So sounds great thanks. Still doing a little more research though.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:38 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,063 times
I dunno, S. FL doesn't do too badly. Just in today's news, a diver was electocuted by lightening. Never seen bolts like this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay