Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 10:12 AM

20 posts, read 17,741 times

Advertisements

Just saw some homes in Apollo Beach in my price range. Any yay's or nay's??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 11:05 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Not sure what your price range is, but you may want to look at taxes. Be sure you check what the taxes are as a new homeowner as many may have taxes that are limited for current homeowners with exemption. Once a home is sold the capped value will reset (see this for info).

Also check if home is in flood zone (many are) and then what the cost would be. Similarly, check what home owner insurance will cost. If home is older home (more than 10 years old) it probably does not have hurricane mitigation and cost will be very high.

Lastly, check for HOA fees. Not sure of community you are considering but I'm aware of one community along the water which has some major expenses to be incurred to replace the seawall.

We had looked in the area, taxes would have gone up nearly double from what the current owner was paying. The home owners insurance would have been three times what we are paying in our home in another community. And HOA fees would have been most likely subject to increase and a special assessment.

Additionally, if it's an older home (more than 5-10 years), check what the utilities are running. Home we purchased (which is new and has lots of energy efficiency built in) would have cost us about twice as much as the home we were looking at in AB.

Lastly, if schools are important, be sure to do your homework on the schools that serve your area.

Don't just look at the cost of the home, look at the overall cost of owning the home. Happy house hunting.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:19 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfitter View Post
Just saw some homes in Apollo Beach in my price range. Any yay's or nay's??
Younger retiree here.
I live in the area (about 10 miles east of AB) and can't say that it's the best choice. Very likely it's in a flood zone (be careful there). Higher home insurance.

There's not much right there, but 20-30 mins by interstate you'll be in Tampa, Brandon. Not the most attractive places to live, IMO, although there are a couple of nice communities (MIRA BAY) but some have have CDD or higher HOAs. There is a lot of development in Riverview and AB.....economy is starting to recover. We have a few people who post here form the area who I'm sure will chime in.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
There's a huge power generating plant (TECO) there. Ugly and polluting!!

Old 10-08-2016, 12:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Just curious if area you are looking at is Waterset in Apollo Beach. If so, you might want to go about 5 miles east toward Waterleaf. Several people have moved from or looked at Waterset and then looked at Waterleaf. Waterleaf is smaller community (still being developed but will be about 500 homes) and gated. Prices from mid-200's up to 600.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:08 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
Elevation 2 feet. Misthinking?

Old 10-09-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Not sure what your price range is, but you may want to look at taxes. Be sure you check what the taxes are as a new homeowner as many may have taxes that are limited for current homeowners with exemption. Once a home is sold the capped value will reset (see this for info).

Also check if home is in flood zone (many are) and then what the cost would be. Similarly, check what home owner insurance will cost. If home is older home (more than 10 years old) it probably does not have hurricane mitigation and cost will be very high.

Lastly, check for HOA fees. Not sure of community you are considering but I'm aware of one community along the water which has some major expenses to be incurred to replace the seawall.

We had looked in the area, taxes would have gone up nearly double from what the current owner was paying. The home owners insurance would have been three times what we are paying in our home in another community. And HOA fees would have been most likely subject to increase and a special assessment.

Additionally, if it's an older home (more than 5-10 years), check what the utilities are running. Home we purchased (which is new and has lots of energy efficiency built in) would have cost us about twice as much as the home we were looking at in AB.

Lastly, if schools are important, be sure to do your homework on the schools that serve your area.

Don't just look at the cost of the home, look at the overall cost of owning the home. Happy house hunting.

Thank you for your input.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Younger retiree here.
I live in the area (about 10 miles east of AB) and can't say that it's the best choice. Very likely it's in a flood zone (be careful there). Higher home insurance.

There's not much right there, but 20-30 mins by interstate you'll be in Tampa, Brandon. Not the most attractive places to live, IMO, although there are a couple of nice communities (MIRA BAY) but some have have CDD or higher HOAs. There is a lot of development in Riverview and AB.....economy is starting to recover. We have a few people who post here form the area who I'm sure will chime in.

What is CDD?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:03 AM

95 posts, read 290,022 times
BobandSherry, we did several visit trips to Apollo Beach and didn't like it. IMHO those smoke stacks, good Lord. I saw Mansions and the smoke stacks were part of their view. We felt very isolated in the area. The above posters are giving you very good advice. Good luck

Old 10-10-2016, 03:04 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfitter View Post
What is CDD?
I can tell you all about CDDs, taxes, flood zones, home insurance.

I retired and moved almost 3 years ago to Mirabay.

If you would like to talk on the phone, PM your number to me and I will call you.

I have always found talking to be more productive than writing back and forth.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay