Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times

Advertisements

Check this nonsense out:

State's answer to Howard Frankland traffic: Pay a toll or lose a lane | Tampa Bay Times

sounds to me like they conned some people into voting for this by a technicality that most reasonable people wouldn't have a clue of.

They are rebuilding the northbound bridge (whatever, its old anyways) and their planning to "add" a toll lane. The issue is, they are "adding" a toll lane while REMOVING an "auxiliary" lane. What is an auxiliary lane you may ask? its the far right lane, the one that spans the ENTIRE BRIDGE but is described as an auxiliary lane which is used to merge on and off the bridge. Technically speaking, we currently have 3 regular lanes and 1 auxiliary lane (sounds like 4 lanes to me, always seemed like four lanes when i drive across the bridge).

So, they are going to remove our fourth lane, add a toll lane in place of it and charge us up to 6 dollars to cross the bridge in this lane that was FREE for the past 30+ years.

This goes right along with the veterans expressway that they widened to four lanes each way, only to later find out that its three regular lanes and a fourth toll lane. Yes, a toll lane ON a toll road, double toll.

Thieves if you ask me! I wouldnt be so angry about if it they added a 5th lane which was a toll lane, or added some light rail tracks with it or SOMETHING that would actually IMPROVE the traffic, not make it worse AND cost more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 05:16 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Tolls will become more the norm for expansion in urban areas. In Chicago they took a road which was built only 10 years ago with state/federal funds. It was sold then as a way to ease congestion - in the end it didn't - just more cars now commuting overall. They converted it to a tollway when it needed to be widened and extended, sold again as a way to ease congestion in the area. The tollway just recently opened, 1 additional lane each way and the commute on the road is now worse. My son takes that route and it now takes him about 5-10 minutes longer to get to work, same route but with more cars flooded the roadway. Drivers are now paying for the privilege of spending several more minutes commuting on the same route.

As someone who doesn't commute any more, I'm all for charging tolls to expand the roadways to ease commuter congestion

Old 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Tolls will become more the norm for expansion in urban areas. In Chicago they took a road which was built only 10 years ago with state/federal funds. It was sold then as a way to ease congestion - in the end it didn't - just more cars now commuting overall. They converted it to a tollway when it needed to be widened and extended, sold again as a way to ease congestion in the area. The tollway just recently opened, 1 additional lane each way and the commute on the road is now worse. My son takes that route and it now takes him about 5-10 minutes longer to get to work, same route but with more cars flooded the roadway. Drivers are now paying for the privilege of spending several more minutes commuting on the same route.

As someone who doesn't commute any more, I'm all for charging tolls to expand the roadways to ease commuter congestion
the issue is that they ARENT expanding capacity at all. There are 4 lanes now, they are still going to have 4 lanes but one is being taken and converted to a toll road.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
All the more reason to live in Tampa if you work in Tampa and live in St Pete if you work in St Pete.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:42 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,241,024 times
The old bridge needs to go. Built around 1962. I remember that nitemare drive on the bridge in the mid 80's. Anytime there was a wreck it was a stand still. Then they drove in the test piles for the new bridge in 1985 and then started work on the south bound bridge around 1987.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:17 AM

356 posts, read 302,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
All the more reason to live in Tampa if you work in Tampa and live in St Pete if you work in St Pete.
Well stated! I am burnt out from traveling over, or perhaps I should say, being trapped on the HF bridge. It is an absolute nightmare. In the morning coming into STP I see tons of cars stuck, headed into Tampa. We all need to get out of this mess! Let us all unite and work on a plan so that none of us ever have to be subject to that life-draining trap again.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:01 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Well stated! I am burnt out from traveling over, or perhaps I should say, being trapped on the HF bridge. It is an absolute nightmare. In the morning coming into STP I see tons of cars stuck, headed into Tampa. We all need to get out of this mess! Let us all unite and work on a plan so that none of us ever have to be subject to that life-draining trap again.
Gandy is much better.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:11 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
With all the growth occurring in South Hillsborough County (and still growing), has there ever been discussion/consideration to connect the Apollo Beach / Ruskin area to St. Pete? Only options now are to go way north or much further south to get there. The existing Gandy, Howard Franklin and CC Causeway all seem to be rather redundant and those bridges would probably see reduction in traffic if another cross connector was available.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:14 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
I think the distance would be way too far for a structure. They've talked ferry, but I'd think that takes too long with the wait for ferry and the trek across the bay. The drive to St Petersburg via Skyway isn't bad, imo. I make it a lot from AB area.

I like toll option. Use it down in Miami. Wouldn't sit in that traffic.

I like the idea of user tax, which is what tolls are.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:07 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Last study conducted about peoples preferences (before high speed rail was turned down) indicated people were willing to have hot lanes vs having/using public transit including high speed/ light rail. And the toll will be calculating based on demand (it will cost more money during peak hours). Well, enjoy it now people! ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay