U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 AM

158 posts, read 819,051 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to FL. as soon as our home sells. My husband at the moment sells cars in IL. He has been doing this for 2 years and is pretty good at it. This is not what he normally does and has a few other possible job options.

I figure the selling cars is always a good thing to fall back on though. Sales around here are down every where.

I was wondering it it the same in Florida. If his other job options dont pan out immedietly does any one know if people are hiring auto sales people usually in the spring summer or are those jobs in the Clearwater/Tampa are hard to come by?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,595,379 times
Auto sales are down in Tampa Bay and there are always dealerships looking for sales people. It's very competitive though, and really long hours. You can probably find the print ads online at TBO.com and TampaBay.com.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 AM

849 posts, read 3,270,108 times
Default Check out

AutoWay of the Tampa Florida Area -- Serving Tampa, Clearwater, Bradenton, Brooksville, St Petersburg, and Port Richey Florida with New vehicles, service, parts and accessories.
They are a huge group out of Miami (Dan Marino is their spokes jock)with all makes here in he St. Pete area. Ford is probably their biggest line.
There are still a number of indies Like Volvo Village, still family owned and Mahar Chevy. Some others are Crown and Bert Smith, Can't remember what Crown's lines are, Honda maybe? Bert Smith sells VW, BMW, Subaru, Audi. We have Carmax in Clearwater and Tampa and their big facility including new vehicles is in Orlando. My husband wanted to do this but he doesn't work on Sat. for religious reasons so he couldn't get hired. Before he made that commitment and partly the cause of it, he never sold a car on Sat. but he'd get customers on Monday AM who'd sign. Your husband will be expected to work either or both days of the weekend. Don't know if that's the case there.
I can't speak to the activity in the sales area. Maybe someone can jump in. I know that while people here believe that he salt air from the Gulf corrodes things it's nothing compared to the salt on the roads during snowy winters having been born and raised in NJ. Cars still look good after years here. This may be a good time however as the makers intro more and more models of hybrids. GMC is about to bring out their hybrid SUV and Escalade is planning a Fall launch for theirs. Our gas prices jumped to around 3.25+ this past weekend so there may be some activity as people try to unload their gas guzzlers. SUV's have been popular here and this being the South people do like their pick ups even if they don't need them for work.
Check the web sites and all the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
We are planning to move to FL. as soon as our home sells. My husband at the moment sells cars in IL. He has been doing this for 2 years and is pretty good at it. This is not what he normally does and has a few other possible job options.

I figure the selling cars is always a good thing to fall back on though. Sales around here are down every where.

I was wondering it it the same in Florida. If his other job options dont pan out immedietly does any one know if people are hiring auto sales people usually in the spring summer or are those jobs in the Clearwater/Tampa are hard to come by?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
AutoWay of the Tampa Florida Area -- Serving Tampa, Clearwater, Bradenton, Brooksville, St Petersburg, and Port Richey Florida with New vehicles, service, parts and accessories.
They are a huge group out of Miami (Dan Marino is their spokes jock)with all makes here in he St. Pete area. Ford is probably their biggest line.
There are still a number of indies Like Volvo Village, still family owned and Mahar Chevy. Some others are Crown and Bert Smith, Can't remember what Crown's lines are, Honda maybe? Bert Smith sells VW, BMW, Subaru, Audi. We have Carmax in Clearwater and Tampa and their big facility including new vehicles is in Orlando. My husband wanted to do this but he doesn't work on Sat. for religious reasons so he couldn't get hired. Before he made that commitment and partly the cause of it, he never sold a car on Sat. but he'd get customers on Monday AM who'd sign. Your husband will be expected to work either or both days of the weekend. Don't know if that's the case there.
I can't speak to the activity in the sales area. Maybe someone can jump in. I know that while people here believe that he salt air from the Gulf corrodes things it's nothing compared to the salt on the roads during snowy winters having been born and raised in NJ. Cars still look good after years here. This may be a good time however as the makers intro more and more models of hybrids. GMC is about to bring out their hybrid SUV and Escalade is planning a Fall launch for theirs. Our gas prices jumped to around 3.25+ this past weekend so there may be some activity as people try to unload their gas guzzlers. SUV's have been popular here and this being the South people do like their pick ups even if they don't need them for work.
Check the web sites and all the best.
THanks Jessiesmom! I will check out the sites. I thought all car dealerships were closed on Sundays? they are in Il.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Auto sales are down in Tampa Bay and there are always dealerships looking for sales people. It's very competitive though, and really long hours. You can probably find the print ads online at TBO.com and TampaBay.com.

Sounds like its the same there as here. So I guess I will not worry.

I will check out TBO.com

thank you for your reply

Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,595,379 times
My husband sells Nissans, so I know what I'm talking about. He works every Saturday and is off every other Sunday and Tuesday, unless one of those days falls at the end of the month, when every sales person is expected to work from open to close both days (9am-9pm on Saturday and 11-6 on Sunday). An average work week is between 55-60 hours.

Sales people are also expected to make sales quotas every month...no exception. Car sales is not for the weak or faint of heart. If your dh is bilingual, it helps.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
My husband sells Nissans, so I know what I'm talking about. He works every Saturday and is off every other Sunday and Tuesday, unless one of those days falls at the end of the month, when every sales person is expected to work from open to close both days (9am-9pm on Saturday and 11-6 on Sunday). An average work week is between 55-60 hours.

Sales people are also expected to make sales quotas every month...no exception. Car sales is not for the weak or faint of heart. If your dh is bilingual, it helps.

My husband has been in the car business for at least 20 years. Selling cars for maybe 2 1/2 yrs. I agree it is definatley not for the faint of heart. He works is *ss off but ya do what ya gotta to I guess.

I am just suprised the they are open on Sundays. Here in IL. it is a law that they have to be closed that day. I just assumed that was every where in the US.

My ex-husband also worked in Fl. as an F&I manager and I thought they were closed then to but that was back in 1996 so either I am remembering wrong or the laws have changed.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Smile well, it's nice to see there are still

Sabbath laws someplace and Sabbath observance SHOULD be part of ones' freedom of religion under EEO legislation but the reality is it's not. Having Sunday closing wouldn't help us at all. No disrespect for your beliefs but Sunday is just another day for us. We are forbidden to work on Saturday. Don't know anyplace that is allowing for that. The local EEOC guy, in a conversation about something else, told us the courts are not sympathetic to religious issues of any sort. Suits have been brought all over the country to no avail for Saturday observers.
Employers misuse the "we're open so you have to be available" line to not hire. That's absolutely contrary to the spirit of the legislation and not true in general for the business. In a big metro area, goods will get sold if there are customers whether a particular person is available or not. Quite honestly, the Sunday closing thing has backfired. Rather than emphasizing the need for a Sabbath, it discriminates passively because now those employers can day that if they close one day, they have to make it up another. My husband would be happy to trade every Sunday for Saturday but it's no go in ANY retail establishment so he makes far less than his potential doing other work.
When I worked in st. Louis, the Christian employees at Famous Barr were happy to work the Jewish Holidays so we could have off and we did the same for them on their holidays. There was never a question and once the dept. managers knew who was who, they automatically scheduled us that way.
Too bad political correctness has scared everyone from doing the right thing.

Quote:
My husband has been in the car business for at least 20 years. Selling cars for maybe 2 1/2 yrs. I agree it is definatley not for the faint of heart. He works is *ss off but ya do what ya gotta to I guess.

I am just suprised the they are open on Sundays. Here in IL. it is a law that they have to be closed that day. I just assumed that was every where in the US.

My ex-husband also worked in Fl. as an F&I manager and I thought they were closed then to but that was back in 1996 so either I am remembering wrong or the laws have changed.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
Sabbath laws someplace and Sabbath observance SHOULD be part of ones' freedom of religion under EEO legislation but the reality is it's not. Having Sunday closing wouldn't help us at all. No disrespect for your beliefs but Sunday is just another day for us. We are forbidden to work on Saturday. Don't know anyplace that is allowing for that. The local EEOC guy, in a conversation about something else, told us the courts are not sympathetic to religious issues of any sort.

Actually I did not realize the Sunday closing of the car dealerships had anything to to with the sabbath observance. But now that you mention it that is problably how it started her in IL. We are Christian but I still work on Sunday and he will to. It just would be nice to know he had one day a week off no matter what but oh well we will just go with the flow

Old 02-25-2008, 03:54 PM

Default I think when my husband

tried to work something out with Autoway, he got a day off just not Sat. although right before he left, he was scheduled for 11 days straight because they were having some sort of sales event. What Tampa Karen said is generally true in the larger dealerships, Saturdays are rotated. They paid a pretty good training guarantee but he had to really work for it. He isn't averse to work it's just that Fri. nite and Sat. are out. And BTW we do observe it seriously. We don't go anyplace and we do not do any commerce. It's not a pick and choose thing. I do no cooking and we don't put on the TV.

Quote:
Actually I did not realize the Sunday closing of the car dealerships had anything to to with the sabbath observance. But now that you mention it that is problably how it started her in IL. We are Christian but I still work on Sunday and he will to. It just would be nice to know he had one day a week off no matter what but oh well we will just go with the flow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay