Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM

849 posts, read 2,910,989 times

Advertisements

I have been using FIOS for 4 years, and used Brighthouse for 5 prior to that. Hated BH. Great customer service, but I was on the phone with them regularly with internet outages and cable problems. Since Frontier took over, FIOS has had some glitches, but for the most part haven't skipped a beat. A lot of the issues are billing related, not service related. They still are a LOT more dependable than BH ever was. You can't beat the clarity of their fiber HD signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 01:32 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,315,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I have been using FIOS for 4 years, and used Brighthouse for 5 prior to that. Hated BH. Great customer service, but I was on the phone with them regularly with internet outages and cable problems. Since Frontier took over, FIOS has had some glitches, but for the most part haven't skipped a beat. A lot of the issues are billing related, not service related. They still are a LOT more dependable than BH ever was. You can't beat the clarity of their fiber HD signal.
The funny thing about their "fiber" is most people don't understand that Brighthouse (and Comcast and other cable services) have been fiber for years now. The difference is that cable services are coax from the pole to the house. Fiber goes to the node and is used across the network.

While it is generally accurate that FiOS is "true fiber" (meaning the connection is fiber throughout up to and including your home) it's more or less a marketing gimmick. I think it has changed since, but wasn't FiOS contract based? My big thing is equipment and monthly costs. You can very easily pay very little for a decent modem that works across cable networks and save a lot of money. You cannot use these modems on the FiOS network.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:21 AM

164 posts, read 265,390 times
Not sure about Frontier. However, Brighthouse SUCKS. My connection is constantly dropping at all times of the day and night. Not to mention it's extremely overpriced for what you get. I'm only sticking with them because Fios isn't offered where I live.

Recommendation: AVOID.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:13 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,858,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
I' ve been happy with brighthouse. OK, I used to call them "not so bright house" when they played around with lowball offers to get new subscribers. When I called them out on this practice, they gave me a large rebate to keep my business.

I can only compare them to Comcast (that my mom in Sarasota is stuck with). Brighthouse customer service is EXCELLENT (might change after the buyout completes). Small local storefronts where you can get equipment quickly (my comcast experience has been like attending an emergency room).

Their techs are on twitter to resolve complex problems.

I'm probably an outlier. I have my own cable modem (SB5100 bought for peanuts several years ago) and a home brewed cablecard PC based DVR.

It probably comes down to if you need a landline phone. IMO verizon does that better. I get Internet based phone service for free after a minimal startup cost. But if you want a listed phone number (meaning you like getting "phone spam"), Verizon might be a good choice for you.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:54 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,604,104 times
i just moved here. In my previous location I had brighthouse for internet only. The speed was typically their advertised "up to" and it was very reliable.

I moved here, ordered brighthouse internet and TV. 3 attempts at installation and it still wasn't done. No one returned calls when they said they would. The call center was unfamiliar with their equipment. One department doesn't know what the other is doing, and no one has the power to fix problems. My internet was "up to" 50 Mbps down and routinely tested at 9 mbps down and less than 3 up.

I called Frontier, they had an absurd wait for install, nearly a month. After speaking to a supervisor they tried to expedite the install, called back when they said they would and knocked a couple weeks off the install date. I chased an installer in the neighborhood on a thursday, they were able to get my install moved up to the following week. Install went smooth, tv picture is better than bright house. My speed is "up to" 100/100 mbps and routinely tests at 91 mbps down and 90 mbps up. I think the total cost was $10 a month more than bright house with no contract. Definitely chase down an installers van if you need a quicker install though, those folks know how to get things done.

I'll miss Directv's hardware. the wireless genie boxes were fantastic. I had a box mounted to the back of a tv that I moved anywhere I wanted TV, including outside. All it needed was power. The RF remotes meant I could hide the boxes anywhere. I loved Directv when i lived in Phoenix, but I got frustrated losing signal so often here.

I really wish FiOS and Cable would invest in better hardware, both service's boxes are enormous and antiquated.

In the end all telecom companies have terrible reputations and typically don't appear to care for the customer. For my situation Frontier was the lesser evil.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:18 AM

11 posts, read 9,907 times
I have nothing but problems with BH, and Front sux too

Old 11-11-2016, 09:48 PM

79 posts, read 118,347 times
I can't afford cable or FiOS so I only have DSL....Frontier sucks. I lose my connection several times every day despite all new wiring put in by them from the router to the box outside my house and several "fixes" at the box as well as the office or wherever their server room is. However, it's my only choice right now so I deal with it. I can't wait till I can get back to a place where I have more than 2 rotten options. This is horrible. I mistakenly thought being so close to Tampa I'd have more options for internet service. Ha.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:13 PM

5,908 posts, read 7,241,767 times
My boss just moved into a rental down the street from me. He signed up with Frontier and they scheduled the install. The time frame for the appointment was between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

3:00 pm rolls around and no Frontier installer, so he calls them.

"Can you give me an idea when my installer will arrive?"

"Oh, uh, sorry, but we're not going to make it out there today. We're really backed up."

No call, notification, nada. To say he was p*ssed was putting it mildly, as he had taken PT to be at home all day. The told him they would put him in the queue for "first available" but they couldn't guarantee a day or time.

How's that for service?

As a postscript, they finally showed up about a week later and got it done. I know he didn't get any advance notice beyond a few hours.

RM

Old 11-13-2016, 08:46 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Frontier FIOS all day long, although they were better when Verizon owned them.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:04 PM

2,570 posts, read 1,730,471 times
I say go with Brighthouse cable. They both have same channels, but with Frontier you have to sign a 2 year contract, plus they make you pay for a router even if you don't need internet, they claim it is needed for your phone. BS.

Also Frontier makes you pay for an HD box even if you only want basic cable. Another thing, Frontier does not carry, The Weather Channel.

Brighthouse packages are much better. Do the research, you will see what I am talking about. Also BH has Baynews 9 and their Orlando version 13. They also have NY1 news

One thing, that separates both companies, is that BH has Customer Service centers locally in all of Tampa Bay. Frontier does all their business from Norwalk, Connecticut. There is no payment centers or customer service representatives that you can speak with Face to Face when you have a billing issue or your remote stops working.

Last edited by bobisinthehouse; 11-14-2016 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay