Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 PM

33 posts, read 96,138 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My family is considering relocating to the Tampa area and have a few concerns. At first we were looking at Spring Hill because of the awesome deals on homes for rent, but after looking up several of the homes today on the FL sex offender registry and finding that some of them have multiple sex offenders on the same street as the house I have decided that maybe that's not the best part of town for us. We have an 8 year old and I do not wish to live in constant fear. We're very aware of our surroundings and are extra careful, but geez! So, now I am looking at the LOL/Wesley Chapel area (even though I have found a bunch of offenders there). Now for my questions....

After looking would now prefer a gated community. We are thinking of using a realtor to find us a house to rent. How much does this service usually cost? We are taking an exploratory trip down there in April and would like to maybe look at some places for rent. Would agents have a list of houses that would be available for June? And do these gated communities require the HOA to approve any renters that would be moving in? I have never rented a house only apts so please forgive my ignorance.

Also is it easier to meet your neighbors in these gated communities? After seeing that SO many offenders live all around I am paranoid to talk to people. I know they are everywhere, but was just shocked to see the amount in Tampa and surrounding areas.

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can give me. We are in TN right now and I HAVE to get away from these tornados and cold. I know you have them in FL, but this last round scared me to death..am tired of hiding in the closet on a regular basis!

palmtreelover99
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I have a home in a gated area close to Tampa for rent (Gated community) . There are excelent websites on which sexual offenders are registred with their addresses. Of cause people who are going to start to do these horrible things for the first time or never have been caught, are not on the list. It is scary but I live close to Tampa and never experienced something like this in my neighborhood although when living in Bradenton and looking on the website I noticed an offender was living in my community, but I never saw him outside. It was upsetting but at least I knew where this person lived and could keep an eye on him and knew what he looked like, others I don't know, but don't trust anybody (strange adults) talking to my kids.
A realtor is getting a months rent from the landlord and I'm not willing to pay that high amount that is why I find all my renters myself. If I have to pay every 7 -12 months a month rent to a realtor that is a high amount. One realtor told me I would have a hard time finding renters myself that are reliable. So far I have rented out a different house twice and have the best renters in the world. (both rented out within a week). Where I live the home are rented out the fastest by the home owners them self. Every where where there is an official rent sign from a big realtors company, the houses are empty for months..... Just make a phone call and it takes forever (if you even) until you will be called back. Realtors are more interested in getting 6% commision than 1 months rent. Good Luck, there are very nice areas to rent which are safe. Right now the demand for rent is high because of the short sales and fore closures. People can't afford their mortgages anymore but do have a good pay check and are in need to rent to get their life on track again.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 AM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Smile and then

there are the ones who've been caught but were let go for lack of "evidence" etc. or who are awaiting sentencing
We do all we can to protect our kids but there have always been perverts around, we just didn't know who but assumed we had to watch the kids carefully at all times. These lists help but shouldn't give us a sense of false security. We say we don't want to scare the little darlings but we ahve to teach them to be wary. Who said fear is a bad thing? It is our early warning system that something is off. What's bad is paralyzing anxiety over every aspect of life. You want your kid to play outside? be there to watch over them and others. That's how it used to work, start being neighborly once again and stop waiting for the "state" to do your job.

[quote=bentlebee;2947769]I have a home in a gated area close to Tampa for rent (Gated community) . There are excelent websites on which sexual offenders are registred with their addresses. Of cause people who are going to start to do these horrible things for the first time or never have been caught, are not on the list.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM

Find Offender Map

I know Tampa is Hillsborough County, but I was looking on the Pasco map since all my properties are in Pasco County. If you put the arrow over the dot and wait it will show you the picture and address of a sexual offender. I was shocked to see how many there are and I'm aware that everyday new will be added to this. Just watching Datelines "How to catch a predator" is very shocking and almost unbelievable if you are not like these people....how scary is the world....how awful is it for my kids and others to go and play outside (I'm lucky my kids are to old to play outside, but one day they might have kids on their own) , can't hey put all of these people on an island far far away so they can do these awful things to each other and leave all our kids alone.
I know Florida and California has one of the largest amounts of offenders because of the nice weather they can live in the street.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:13 AM

Smile bentleebee

Unfortunately, not all sex perverts are disreputable seeming people who are on the streets. That's the problem. They have respectable jobs, better access to kids. I think you might actually lessen your anxiety if you realize that. You won't have to wonder if you are being unrealistic. You'll know that thinking the world is a nice place and people basically good, is a myth.
I grew up in a respectable neighborhood in NJ and went back there to live with my husband and child. When she was still an infant there was a doctor's family up the street who employed a nanny. The nanny was watching the kids in the front yard when a guy drove up, got one of the little girls, 3 yrs old, over to the car before the nanny could react and took her off to the nearby park and had his way. By the grace of G-d, he returned the child to her home shortly after and she was otherwise unharmed. Considering we lived on the Palisades overlooking the Hudson and there were woods and a very deep lake, it could have been much worse. There had never been an incident like that previously but my parents never let me out in the yard alone even in the "innocent" Fifties.
It can and does happen everywhere and the creeps are often the least likely people.
You have got to be vigilant and street smart to protect your kids and rather than cowering in fear and anxiety over the "what ifs" you need to teach them to be just as vigilant and to protect themselves. Create a legacy of courage not fear for your grandkids. The should learn to trust their guts and not worry about being "nice," the American dysfunction.
But you're right once one is caught it should be a life sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Find Offender Map

I know Tampa is Hillsborough County, but I was looking on the Pasco map since all my properties are in Pasco County. If you put the arrow over the dot and wait it will show you the picture and address of a sexual offender. I was shocked to see how many there are and I'm aware that everyday new will be added to this. Just watching Datelines "How to catch a predator" is very shocking and almost unbelievable if you are not like these people....how scary is the world....how awful is it for my kids and others to go and play outside (I'm lucky my kids are to old to play outside, but one day they might have kids on their own) , can't hey put all of these people on an island far far away so they can do these awful things to each other and leave all our kids alone.
I know Florida and California has one of the largest amounts of offenders because of the nice weather they can live in the street.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 AM

So, that's how it works then? The renter doesn't pay the realtor who found the house for them...the person with the house pays the realtors fee? We were wondering because we are starting to budget for the move now and want to be aware of any 'fees' we might encounter along the way.

Regarding the offender list...I spent hours on that yesterday. I had a list of homes for rent (started with spring hill) and just kept plunking their addresses in the registry. Was in complete shock! I have always heard there were a lot of offenders in Florida, but wasn't expecting quite this many. One house that looked nice..clean, nice yard, etc had 5 living on that street alone! Even the houses that had none within a 1 mile radius would have have 30 within a 5 mile radius. I saw an article last night that said there was one area of town that had 530 living within a 5 mile radius....where is that so I can stay out of that part of town? I agree with the poster that said we need to get back to people being neighborly again...it is so important to know those around you (even if I am now a little paranoid)!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, not all sex perverts are disreputable seeming people who are on the streets. That's the problem. They have respectable jobs, better access to kids.

This is exactly right! You never know who the next predator is. I continue to be amazed how people I know are so casual about letting others watch their children. Just because someone goes to church doesn't mean they aren't a potential predator. I'm glad to hear about other parents on here that watch their children like hawks...sometimes people think I am a tad overprotective, but how can you be overprotective of your childs wellbeing/life?? Fortunately my kiddo knows that he has to stay within my sight and he's cool with that.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeLover99 View Post

This is exactly right! You never know who the next predator is. I continue to be amazed how people I know are so casual about letting others watch their children. Just because someone goes to church doesn't mean they aren't a potential predator. I'm glad to hear about other parents on here that watch their children like hawks...sometimes people think I am a tad overprotective, but how can you be overprotective of your childs wellbeing/life?? Fortunately my kiddo knows that he has to stay within my sight and he's cool with that.
My kids have cell phones every where they go and I know that in the fifties and sixties things also happened, but not like it is right now. With the internet.... There was an incident in Pasco last year with an almost kidnapping of a boy who went to school on a bike. The school district had the reversed call system so all parents received a call to be aware and that is great, but sad that these people drive around just to get a kid like it's a hamburger the need. We all want to be sure if you rent or buy that it is safe. Even in a gated community things can happen so that is not a complete safety thing, but can help. I don't want to scare my kids but they are very aware and I have seen Oprah Winfrey years ago with adults that got taken from the streets and malls with stupid excuses which almost everybody fell for. Look at the College girl who was assleep on the couch, yes stupid the door was closed but not locked, but to be taken from a home...........18 years old, now dead, are we allowed to be scared and worried about our kids and the places we want to rent or buy. I want to be sure when I rent a place out, the renter is at least not on an offenders list and do as much as possible to keep the neighborhood as if i would live there. That is what I own to my neighbors and to myself to keep the value up, that is why I'm an investor to have it good looking and nice neighbors. I'm responsible to get the best people as possible to rent it to, doesn't matter what color or believes the have, as long as the can live safe and are safe for others.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM

Default yes you do

owe it to your tenants. I thought we were talking about a bigger issue but of course you must do everything you can to be a responsible citizen.
I hope you aren't calling me stupid, that it's only lack of punctuation that makes the story about the 18 year old confusing. The story however is a perfect example of how teaching our kids to be safe will ease our anxieties. That girl should never have felt safe enough to fall asleep with an unlocked door. You as a responsible landlord couldn't have prevented that tragedy no matter how much checking you do because until law enforcement gets every one of these creeps and throws away the keys, they will be out there and your checking helps s long as you report their attempts to rent from you. If you don't they only go to the next landlord. Did you see the news story about how there is no way to prevent them from working in the neighborhood? If the job doesn't directly involve children, they can get it. I'm talking about service jobs where these creeps can get access to homes and neighborhoods where they can't live just by doing an "honest" days work. Now THAT is frightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
My kids have cell phones every where they go and I know that in the fifties and sixties things also happened, but not like it is right now. With the internet.... There was an incident in Pasco last year with an almost kidnapping of a boy who went to school on a bike. The school district had the reversed call system so all parents received a call to be aware and that is great, but sad that these people drive around just to get a kid like it's a hamburger the need. We all want to be sure if you rent or buy that it is safe. Even in a gated community things can happen so that is not a complete safety thing, but can help. I don't want to scare my kids but they are very aware and I have seen Oprah Winfrey years ago with adults that got taken from the streets and malls with stupid excuses which almost everybody fell for. Look at the College girl who was assleep on the couch, yes stupid the door was closed but not locked, but to be taken from a home...........18 years old, now dead, are we allowed to be scared and worried about our kids and the places we want to rent or buy. I want to be sure when I rent a place out, the renter is at least not on an offenders list and do as much as possible to keep the neighborhood as if i would live there. That is what I own to my neighbors and to myself to keep the value up, that is why I'm an investor to have it good looking and nice neighbors. I'm responsible to get the best people as possible to rent it to, doesn't matter what color or believes the have, as long as the can live safe and are safe for others.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
owe it to your tenants. I thought we were talking about a bigger issue but of course you must do everything you can to be a responsible citizen.
I hope you aren't calling me stupid, that it's only lack of punctuation that makes the story about the 18 year old confusing. The story however is a perfect example of how teaching our kids to be safe will ease our anxieties. That girl should never have felt safe enough to fall asleep with an unlocked door. You as a responsible landlord couldn't have prevented that tragedy no matter how much checking you do because until law enforcement gets every one of these creeps and throws away the keys, they will be out there and your checking helps s long as you report their attempts to rent from you. If you don't they only go to the next landlord. Did you see the news story about how there is no way to prevent them from working in the neighborhood? If the job doesn't directly involve children, they can get it. I'm talking about service jobs where these creeps can get access to homes and neighborhoods where they can't live just by doing an "honest" days work. Now THAT is frightening.

That is very scary. Haven't thought about that. I was only thinking about the living part...stupid me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay