U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 11:20 PM

48 posts, read 228,162 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used a headhunter to help find a job? If so, what was your experience and how did you start your search for a good one? Did it really help you? How much of your salary do they get? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM

3,927 posts, read 10,593,266 times
Shortly after moving to Tampa (and not knowing the area), I got my best job through Kelly Services. I have no idea what they were paid. Of course, that was back in 1985 and it's a very different market today. I guess which headhunter you use will depend on the type of work you do. My dh gets consulting calls all the time. He says most of them just want his resume and they really don't have any jobs available. KForce is another large company in Tampa as well.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:46 AM

849 posts, read 3,269,595 times
Smile Karen you made a good point

your DH gets calls and that is a true headhunter. They go after people with a track record in whatever industry. If the OP was at that point in his career, they'd be knocking down the doors. He needs an employment agency like s you siad Kelly or one doing permanent placements.
I can tell you that our experience for the last number of years, at least 10, is that the temp services go for big contracts and then put people in temp to permanent positions. The reality is they never become permanent or only a very few do. This is a way for the employer to skirt all sorts of ADA and EEO legislation while saving money on bennies. How it is cheaper to pay Kelly et al. 18-20/hr for a job where I get 9-10 I'll never understand but that's what they claim.
The OP needs to go that route if his skills and experience level warrant and if he is past that point, he needs to do some networking and see if he gets the phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Shortly after moving to Tampa (and not knowing the area), I got my best job through Kelly Services. I have no idea what they were paid. Of course, that was back in 1985 and it's a very different market today. I guess which headhunter you use will depend on the type of work you do. My dh gets consulting calls all the time. He says most of them just want his resume and they really don't have any jobs available. KForce is another large company in Tampa as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Status: "Contemplating my next move in life!" (set 15 days ago)

184 posts, read 345,621 times
I'd like to know also. My husband is at the end of his rope with dead end jobs where the boss men are always using scare tactics and threats to get them to meet their sales quotas. He is just not a salesman but to get a job in his field of writing, they want all these years of experience. I mean, why even GO to school if no one will hire you entry level wise.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM

607 posts, read 814,495 times
I worked in sales for a long time and I never paid a fee - the company pays the headhunter fee. 10-15%. It your husband is looking to be a writer, I have no clue how to offer advice there. If he is looking for sales, look on Indeed.com.

Actually that is what most sales jobs are about. I was bullied, threatened, yelled at, etc., that is why I'm not in sales anymore. I know someone who manages a national sales force, and he is instructed by his manager to fire someone every quarter whether or not the person has made quota! i.e., everyone makes quota, but one person has the lowest production number. Bye bye...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay