Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 PM

210 posts, read 382,724 times

Advertisements

We moved to hillsborough county last year and are realizing our vet does a one year rabies shot for our dog. We used to get a three year shot so I googled it. Apparently Florida recognized the 3 year shot several years ago but our vet doesn't.

So just curious if this is pretty common locally or if we should push back since the shot is the same, there is no difference in the one or three year shot.

Thanks for any comments in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:14 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
The Vet we had gave an option for 1 or 3 years and many Pet stores give these same vaccines for lower cost than most Vets will charge as at the Vet they will first start with weighing and conducting other exams that they charge for.

In Europe when you would go to a Vet they would give vaccines without charging for briefly checking the pet as a sick pet can't get the vaccines. Over here Vets will charge you an arm and a leg for that.

Btw Planned Pethood does an awesome job and it only takes a longer waiting time but way lower cost for exams and vaccines.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:04 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,830,293 times
My previous dog got the 3 year vaccine. My new pup got the one year but vet days next year he'll give her the three year.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:25 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times
My vet, one who has changed hands over the 20 years we've used them, is adamant that they only give the one year.

As the newer owner/vet of the practice has shown, it seems like a ploy to get more money out of the owners. I say that because the previous owner/vet was very involved with their patients and families, which is why we started with them. At the time we fostered cats/kittens for a breeder, and he was highly recommended as he worked with you and allowed you to be involved in the animal's care. If we wanted a three year immunization, we asked and got it, no questions.

We only have one remaining cat these days, and it goes to the vet once a year. If it were younger I would challenge the resistance to three year vaccine, but since it's up in years I would prefer it get checked out annually.

I would add that I do the "dodge and weave" with them as they try to hard sell you into all sorts of blood work and tests because it's an older animal. It's healthy, gets around without issues, and is otherwise fine except for being a little slow to get going at times due to age.

It's a pet, I'm not going to sink $500/year into a bunch of tests that won't affect its quality of life.

RM

Old 10-12-2016, 06:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
In MA we got the 3 but in Florida I was able to switch to the 3 when they came out .

Old 11-05-2016, 04:32 PM

232 posts, read 348,795 times
I do the 3 year. Ask for what you want, you're the customer.

I just moved and tried a larger vet group with extended hours. The exam was quick, impersonal, and they told me that my dog has 2 broken teeth that need removing, yada yada $1000.

I went to a small local vet who said her teeth were fine.

It's a business out to make money.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:08 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
I just moved and tried a larger vet group with extended hours. The exam was quick, impersonal, and they told me that my dog has 2 broken teeth that need removing, yada yada $1000.

I went to a small local vet who said her teeth were fine.

It's a business out to make money.

SO TRUE!!
Ever since the economy tanked, it's all about the teeth!

My dogs teeth did need cleaning about a year ago...one vet quote me a minimum of $600..another did it for about $200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay