Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:04 AM

175 posts, read 637,266 times

Advertisements

I’ve been on this forum for several months now and the feedback has been very helpful. In the past few months, I’ve made 3 visits to the Tampa/St Pete area and leaning towards putting my office in downtown St Petersburg (in particular, the Morgan Stanley Tower). I currently live in the Chicago area with my wife and 2 year old son. We will likely rent in the St Pete area for 6 months or so but eventually want to buy a house in an area that has a lot of young families, has good schools, and is a reasonable commute to the office. South Tampa appears to check the boxes, however it doesn’t check the budget box. We’d like to stay under $325k and while we can find some areas of South Tampa, let’s just say it’s not what we are used to. We want to get a little more for our money and perhaps have a pool. Ideally a 3-4BR/2BA Single Family Home. A friend recommended Feather Sound area which looks good, but inventory is slim to none. We really liked the vibe of Westchase, but feel that may be setting up for a brutal commute – any comments on that? Of course Google Maps says 35 minutes or so taking 275 bridge but I’ve been on that bridge where nobody moves. We also liked Safety Harbor, but that seemed to be a bit of a hike from Downtown St Petersburg. Seminole as well – same thing, seemed a bit out there. Are there areas that I’m missing? Is it worth looking over the Skyway Bridge into those areas of Bradenton? I don’t know much about that area or even if it would offer a reasonable commute. Back to Westchase area, is this a pipe dream thinking I can commute daily from Westchase to Downtown St Pete? The good thing with my job is I DO have flexibility as to when I leave for work in the am and return home at night. Open to any and all feedback. Will be back at the end of January and hope to see a few new areas that we haven’t passed through before. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 08:26 AM

163 posts, read 183,773 times
If you're planning to rent, I say rent in your preferred location and evaluate how much of a pain the commute is. If you prefer Westchase, rent there and suffer through it (if need be) so you won't make the mistake of buying there if it doesn't work out. If it's not doable, you have time to find a place that is but you'll also feel like you gave it a try which will make you feel better about where you ultimately end up.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:17 AM

80 posts, read 81,530 times
Agree with above post rent before you buy, not sure what business you have if you have the flexibility you say starting/and finishing work earlier or later in the day make sense. My advice do Google map searches of the commute from West chase or any other area you interested in to the area you want to set up shop do it for a few days and factor in different variables ie. events in town (hockey, baseball, football, concert, festivals ect.) busy times of year and oh yes accidents as all three can skew your possible commute times considerably.

As far as area with a young family West chase is great, also oldsmar, Carrollwood and citrus park are pretty good as well.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the responses, but I'm not hearing anything I don't already know. The whole premise behind renting first is to get to know the area. Additionally, Google Maps, while nice to get an idea on distance I've found isn't altogether accurate with time estimates. I'm really looking for someone to respond that lives in the area and perhaps either has done a commute like this before or knows people that do it right now. Finally, are there other areas I should be looking at closer to DT St Pete that would check the boxes listed in OP? Skyway bridge to next county worth it to get more for money?

Old 11-09-2016, 11:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
If you are working in downtown St Pete you might want to explore the old Northeast section and adjacent Crescent Lake area just north of downtown, youd eliminate that commute to Tampa all together and enjoy walking to work.
https://www.walkscore.com/FL/St._Pet..._Old_Northeast

Old 11-09-2016, 11:59 AM

Historic Northeast section, while nice, doesn't offer good schools (from what I'm seeing - at least public) and doesn't seem like you get a lot for your money.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:30 PM

163 posts, read 183,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorch101 View Post
Historic Northeast section, while nice, doesn't offer good schools (from what I'm seeing - at least public) and doesn't seem like you get a lot for your money.
You're right that the schools in Northeast St. Pete are not great. North Shore Elementary, which is the neighborhood school for Old Northeast, is improving and has a really engaged group of parents who are working to make the school the first choice of neighborhood residents. With $325K, you will definitely not be able to afford a decent single-family home (or even a townhouse most likely) in Old Northeast, but you could afford a house in North East Park or Shore Acres. Both are also very close to downtown and have decent schools for Pinellas County, although I think Shore Acres floods (and maybe NE Park does too, hence the lower prices).

In Tampa Bay, because of all the bridges, the traffic is extremely unpredictable. I have two young kids who need to be picked up from daycare around 5 pm, so one of us (either me or my husband) must have a predictable schedule and easy commute to ensure that they are picked up on time. Unless you have a nanny or extended after care, it's not smart to work very far from your home or childcare, because you never know how long your commute might take. Before we moved here, I used Google Maps to determine how long my commute would be (with traffic) if I lived in St. Pete and worked in Tampa, and it was not feasible. We also looked into living in South Tampa where the schools are great (but, again, houses are well over $325K), but my husband works in St. Pete, and I didn't want him to be at the mercy of the bridges every day. As is, he works 7.5 miles (mostly on the interstate) from our house in NE St. Pete, but his rush hour commute is at least 30 minutes every day.

I said this before, but I would absolutely rent for a while, not only to gauge the commute, but also to see if the economy tanks. We bought a house at the top of the market in May 2016, and I'm kicking myself for not renting instead given the fragility of the economy after the election.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:10 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinstpete View Post
One suburban town northwest of St Petersburg you may want to consider is Seminole. Seminole is a family oriented separate
community that is reputed to have the best public schools in Pinellas County. Certainly you can get more house for your money in Seminole than in neighborhoods of NE St. Petersburg. Another area to consider is the far west portion of St Petersburg off of Park St. with nice family neighborhoods like Jungle Prada. You can get a nice house in your price range there as well. You have the advantage of being quite close to the beautiful Gulf front beaches at Treasure Island and Madeira Beach. I'm a realtor so let me know if you would like to see current listings in those area.

The commute from Seminole is 30-40 minutes to downtown St Petersburg on surface streets that can be busy at times, but almost never with the kind of back-ups and traffic jams you risk on I-275. From the neighborhoods of W. St Petersburg, the commute would be more like 15-20 minutes mostly on one-way cross town streets.

Tony Branch

Stpetetonybranch@gmail.com
Great advice^^^. I would definitely check out those neighborhoods on the west side of St. Pete. However I can't speak to the schools, St. Pete is just not known for their schools. IMO, the best areas to live for good schools will be south Tampa or Westchase. OP, is there a reason why your business needs to be in St. Pete?

Old 11-09-2016, 03:31 PM

80 posts, read 81,530 times
I livein camden bay apartments in T&C (a few minutes from westchase) I commute to Northeast st Pete I have to be at work at 7am it's takes me anywhere from 22 minutes to 45 minutes if theres a accident on 275s or on the interchange I'd I leave a hour later it 45 minutes to a hour plus commute, commute home at 7pm it's 20-30 minutes if they aren't clearing a wreck on 275 s near the Kennedy exit usually, if I leave a 2 hours early at 5pm it will take me 50 minutes to a hour and 15 minutes if there a hockey game I go through old Mars 45 minutes to a hour. My commute is 18.5 miles. For example. Hope it helps.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are working in downtown St Pete you might want to explore the old Northeast section and adjacent Crescent Lake area just north of downtown, youd eliminate that commute to Tampa all together and enjoy walking to work.
https://www.walkscore.com/FL/St._Pet..._Old_Northeast
i agree. and northeast park, snell shores close to Crisp park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay