Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 PM

86 posts, read 432,404 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm so excited to be moving to the Tampa Bay area this coming summer. I know it's not the best time of year to move, but hey, I'll be moving there from East Texas, which is the nastiest heat and humidity I've ever experienced in my life. At least in FL there tends to be a breeze here and there. Here in TX, nothing. <<sweat, sweat>>

First question I have..........is Ybor City truly safe at all, or should I pass on that one? I saw a condo/apartment place called The Quarter at Ybor and it looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure if Ybor is quite at the "safe" mark yet. I realize no place is truly 100% safe (I work in law enforcement), so I'm no stranger to all of it, but I would rather not deal with things like that during the day and at night.

Also.....I guess I am pretty ecclectic in my thinking. I went to FL for a weekend trip to check out places to live (just areas, not specific apartments, just ran out of time) and when I went there thinking I would like St. Pete/Clearwater the most, I ended up with thinking they were really nice, but I would rather live in the Davis, Harbor, SoHo, Hyde, Ybor areas. Yes, those are all much closer to UT, which is where I'll be working, but they would all give me the chance to walk places and actually enjoy the towns. Does anyone out there have any prefs on which ones you like best and why? I'm pretty "artsy" and love all the cultural things that go on. I can save the beach for an every other weekend kind of thing, since I can already tell there will be so much more to do in the area than just go to the beach.

I'm soooooo very excited!!!!!!!!

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Default Hey Kim

I don't think you're quite ready for Ybor as a living experience. Still pretty gritty, no place to get basic necessities and parking is a nightmare. I don't think, from previous posts, you'd feel safe.You won't want to walk there. It's definitely rowdy at night. Also no breezes. Don't forget Tampa is only partly on a peninsula so large parts of it are "inland' and feel horrible during the Summer.

If you've given up on St. Pete, which is the artsiest of all the places you seem to like, I'd say Davis Is. is the next best. Hyde Park and SoHo are trendy but I'm not sure, being an artist myself, they are really artsy.
You said "enjoy the towns" I'm not sure what yo mean because these are all just neighborhoods of Tampa. Davis Is. being the most separate and small town feeling of them.
I know you're excited but if you will only be at UT 2-3 days a week, maybe rethink the St. Pete idea. It really does offer more culturally. Bars and that type fun are about equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtex23 View Post
Hi all,

I'm so excited to be moving to the Tampa Bay area this coming summer. I know it's not the best time of year to move, but hey, I'll be moving there from East Texas, which is the nastiest heat and humidity I've ever experienced in my life. At least in FL there tends to be a breeze here and there. Here in TX, nothing. <<sweat, sweat>>

First question I have..........is Ybor City truly safe at all, or should I pass on that one? I saw a condo/apartment place called The Quarter at Ybor and it looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure if Ybor is quite at the "safe" mark yet. I realize no place is truly 100% safe (I work in law enforcement), so I'm no stranger to all of it, but I would rather not deal with things like that during the day and at night.

Also.....I guess I am pretty ecclectic in my thinking. I went to FL for a weekend trip to check out places to live (just areas, not specific apartments, just ran out of time) and when I went there thinking I would like St. Pete/Clearwater the most, I ended up with thinking they were really nice, but I would rather live in the Davis, Harbor, SoHo, Hyde, Ybor areas. Yes, those are all much closer to UT, which is where I'll be working, but they would all give me the chance to walk places and actually enjoy the towns. Does anyone out there have any prefs on which ones you like best and why? I'm pretty "artsy" and love all the cultural things that go on. I can save the beach for an every other weekend kind of thing, since I can already tell there will be so much more to do in the area than just go to the beach.

I'm soooooo very excited!!!!!!!!

Kim

Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I think Tampaguy stated he has friends who live in Ybor. He stated they had no problems except for the noise and traffic on the weekend. I don't think crime is normally much of a problem since the police station is right there, but I wouldn't recommend walking outside of the area.

How much are you looking to spend on an apt? There are so many places to chose from in those areas. All those areas have resturants you can walk to and are safe. There are new and older apts just depending on what appeals to you. Many are on the water or across the street from the bay.

There are art fairs and jazz on Friday nights in the park, lots of ppl your age.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I think Tampaguy stated he has friends who live in Ybor. He stated they had no problems except for the noise and traffic on the weekend. I don't think crime is normally much of a problem since the police station is right there, but I wouldn't recommend walking outside of the area.

How much are you looking to spend on an apt? There are so many places to chose from in those areas. All those areas have resturants you can walk to and are safe. There are new and older apts just depending on what appeals to you. Many are on the water or across the street from the bay.

There are art fairs and jazz on Friday nights in the park, lots of ppl your age.
I agree with Keeper - I think you might enjoy Ybor - it can be an exciting place to live IF you don't mind noise, crowds and general rowdiness on the weekends. I don't think it's that dangerous if you aren't roaming the ghettoes nearby at night. Also, it has great proximity to the other neighborhoods mentioned. I love the old historic look of this area, as an artsy person myself I find it stimulating. Plenty of good restaurants and entertainment here, too. The other neighborhoods mentioned are nice, but more "yuppie" than artsy, IMO, and more expensive. All depends what you want.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 AM

Plus you can walk to several great cuban restaurants for cuban toast and 'strong' coffee for breakfast.

Often times, you will find some regular diners who go every morning for coffee, of course, some speak spanish but others don't. You can also get lunch or dinner in these restuarants with enough food to feed 2 ppl for the price of 1 person.

There is a lot of history in Ybor too, including underground tunnels built back when the mafia was involved in number running.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Everyone one who knows my posts on here will role their eyes cuz here I go again as the SoHo ambassador

SoHo is a GREAT neighborhood. Pubs, restraunts, clubs, shoppes are all walking distance or a short drive/cab ride away. Of course, there are LOTS of UT students who live there, so I don't know if that will be a drag for you.

SoHo is the ONLY neighborhood in Tampa for me!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
Quote:

Isn`t there a trolly sytem that would take the poster to UT from ybor?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 PM

There is a trolly but I am not sure if it goes to UT, but it does go downtown so it would be a short walk to UT, weather permitting of course.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
I have a freind that bought in The Quarter, they used to be aprtments, be she has a great 2 bedroom, and she really LOVES it there. There are small conveinence type shops at The Quarter,a dn just a few bliocks is 7th Avenue, with a few small grocery type stores, kind of what you would see in Manhatten, for big grovery shopping, a few miles is Publix downtown at bayshore Blvd. She also loves to walk to many many great restuarants, cafes, festivals, art galleries and showings, one of the best movie cineplexes in Tampa Bay area, the streetcar access to Channelside and Downtown and the historic feel and look of the neighborhood, and she is a active participant in the Ybor Neighborhood Associaiton which is strong.
There are also many newer and funky townhomes, condos just south of 7th Avenue.
Her only advice is not to venture north of the Interstate or East of 20th Street, but there is nothing in those areas to venture over there for anyway.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Unhappy that is not a walk I'd recommend

also last Summer, they either drastically cut the trolley schedule from Hyde Park or eliminated it totally because of lack of ridership.

Quote:
There is a trolly but I am not sure if it goes to UT, but it does go downtown so it would be a short walk to UT, weather permitting of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: