Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:10 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times

Advertisements

I'm always humored every time an HOA comes up by the people that claim it's either HOA or slums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:43 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives View Post
I've lived here a year and a half and love it. The weather, the Gulf Coast beaches, it's wonderful! But we're looking for a house or land to buy and unless you're in an HOA neighborhood, the place is full of dumpy, broken down, falling apart trailers. We like living in the countryside, but it seems here the countryside is gross and only trailers are out there.

I hope this isn't offensive, I'm really just trying to make sense of this place and understand. Is it all of Florida or only this area?
It's not just the "countryside" and it's not just where you are. I'm in West Bradenton and there are some older single-family homes with no HOA, some with HOAs that just maintain the common area (such as entrance to the development), and some with HOAs that maintain the owners' landscaping too. Guaranteed in the non-HOA developments, there will be some crappy houses interspersed with the nice ones. Some are rentals where the renters don't care, maybe a situation where the owners are underwater and just renting to anyone.

That's why a place like Lakewood Ranch is appealing -- all HOA communities, I think they're all gated as well. Beautiful, but with a price.

However, sometimes I hate living in an HOA condo community enough that I might not even care if I lived next to a house with weeds and cars parked on the grass. It's really not about the rules as much as the gossipy old ladies though.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:55 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
My HOA costs $20/year. Yes, that's year not month.

They really don't do much besides provide information/news. I am in a deed-restricted community, however the county enforces the regulations. Any problems, call the county. There are no committees that have to approve your paint color or roof shingle color, etc.

For me, it's a good compromise as I am generally not an HOA fan.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:05 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Just wondering where the hoa amount ends up. i see them now at 295,350 and some over 400 a month, which will only increase. would i be paying 500 a month in a few years and for what/ ??? NO>
I pay $475 a month and for that I get insurance,24-hour manned security in a gated community,trash collection,a beautiful clubhouse and bar overlooking the Bay,beautifully manicured gardens,tennis courts,two swimming pools,a gym and zero crime all six minutes from Downtown St Pete.
The HOA can be a little high-handed but I think it's worth every cent.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:01 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
My HOA is $170 a year. My CDD is $2500 with O&M included. My HOA exists for trash collection and violations of the covenants. I like the HOA. Stops people from ruining the neighborhood. No it does not fix everything but in totality I am happier that they are there!

Old 12-01-2016, 11:27 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
My HOA is $170 a year. My CDD is $2500 with O&M included. My HOA exists for trash collection and violations of the covenants. I like the HOA. Stops people from ruining the neighborhood. No it does not fix everything but in totality I am happier that they are there!
What is CDD? and O&M?
Just trying to learn this stuff .......Thanks in advance

Old 12-01-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
What is CDD? and O&M?
Just trying to learn this stuff .......Thanks in advance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...pment_district It does a good job explaining the CDD. The CDD O&M pertains to the maintenance of the landscaping, pools, clubhouse, water treatment, ect ect ect. My CDD is 1k a year. My O&M is 1.5K a year. Plus taxes on my house. In total I pay around 6k a year with everything included.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:52 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...pment_district It does a good job explaining the CDD. The CDD O&M pertains to the maintenance of the landscaping, pools, clubhouse, water treatment, ect ect ect. My CDD is 1k a year. My O&M is 1.5K a year. Plus taxes on my house. In total I pay around 6k a year with everything included.
ok, I understand now
Thanks for explaining

Old 12-01-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
ok, I understand now
Thanks for explaining
No problem. There are several real estate agents on here that are experts on this. CDD or no CDD I have mixed feelings on the issue to be honest. I know if you buy along the 54 corridor you are most likely going to be paying one lol. Either way coming from Long Island paying 12k a year for 1/10 of what I have here I cant complain!!!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
No problem. There are several real estate agents on here that are experts on this. CDD or no CDD I have mixed feelings on the issue to be honest. I know if you buy along the 54 corridor you are most likely going to be paying one lol. Either way coming from Long Island paying 12k a year for 1/10 of what I have here I cant complain!!!
Isn't that the truth!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay