Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:51 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Our so called Tampa know it all said there is no Publix down town.
As I proved earlier, there isn't .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 12:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
7 min walk from the downtown Tampa Convention Center, so for all practical purposes, it is a downtown location......

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Publ...3!2d27.9420417

Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
7 min walk from the downtown Tampa Convention Center, so for all practical purposes, it is a downtown location......

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Publ...3!2d27.9420417
And seeing as the Convention Center isn't centrally located in Downtown, that means absolutely nothing. Taking a very brief look at a map of Downtown Tampa, Twiggs and Morgan look to be more centrally located. Which, if you're looking to walk to Publix, from the center of Downtown, is closer to 20 mins than it is 10. There's no point in having borders if people are just planning on making their own anyways. If I lived on the edge of the Panhandle, I'd still be living in Florida, not south Alabama. That said, creating your own borders is hurting people who come to this website for actual information.

To those who run into this thread hoping to get some information: The only grocery store (currently) in Downtown is the Duckweed Urban Market. It is small. It will not have everything you're looking for. There is a Publix just outside of Downtown. It will have everything you need, but it is not located IN Downtown. This means that if you're looking to get rid of your car when you move to Downtown, it's not advised. There IS a Publix that will be put in Channelside, once that project breaks ground. Publix is scheduled (tentatively) to open 10 months after that project breaks ground.

You're welcome.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:40 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
As I proved earlier, there isn't .
Well seems others think there is. Never shop in that part if town. I guess you know every brick rick.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:01 PM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
The river is usually the border between downtown Tampa and the rest to the west. Anything on the west side of the river is not usually considered downtown, at least by locals. Not that it really matters, just my 2 cents.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:40 PM

536 posts, read 639,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
And seeing as the Convention Center isn't centrally located in Downtown, that means absolutely nothing. Taking a very brief look at a map of Downtown Tampa, Twiggs and Morgan look to be more centrally located. Which, if you're looking to walk to Publix, from the center of Downtown, is closer to 20 mins than it is 10. There's no point in having borders if people are just planning on making their own anyways. If I lived on the edge of the Panhandle, I'd still be living in Florida, not south Alabama. That said, creating your own borders is hurting people who come to this website for actual information.

To those who run into this thread hoping to get some information: The only grocery store (currently) in Downtown is the Duckweed Urban Market. It is small. It will not have everything you're looking for. There is a Publix just outside of Downtown. It will have everything you need, but it is not located IN Downtown. This means that if you're looking to get rid of your car when you move to Downtown, it's not advised. There IS a Publix that will be put in Channelside, once that project breaks ground. Publix is scheduled (tentatively) to open 10 months after that project breaks ground.

You're welcome.
It may not be in downtown, but it's in the "greater downtown area". Same thing with Brickell in Miami.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
Where I live, there are TWO Publix grocery stores right across from each other on the corner of 4th St N and 38th Ave N in St Pete. One has one, and sometimes two, armed guards that always give me the evil eye when I ride up on my bike. I stopped shopping there because I think the whole thing is insane. What am I gonna do, go in there and hold them up for their organic butter? Or are they gonna shoot me if I shop lift some grapes? It was like this in Daytona too.

The other store across the street usually has no armed guard, but once in a while the police will be pulled up in the back on a weekend night. These are NOT bad neighborhoods either. Just stupid, over the top paranoia. I almost never shop at Publix anymore due to this. Oh sure, it probably has little effect on their bottom line, but that's at least $400-$500 a month that goes to Trader Joes and Walmart now instead of them, or around $6,000 dollars a year that they don't get from me due to their militant policies. Trader Joes is 11 blocks down the road on 4TH St N, busy as can be, always packed w/ people, and never a guard there because one is not needed. This is a Publix policy that has nothing to do w/ being robbed before. I am there to buy groceries, not to be stared at like I am a shoplifter by an armed guard.

MAniacTHW, that is interesting information, but you have totally missed the point of this thread.

Last edited by smarino; 12-17-2016 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
The other store across the street usually has no armed guard, but once in a while the police will be pulled up in the back on a weekend night. These are NOT bad neighborhoods either. Just stupid, over the top paranoia.
Police tend to hang out in areas where they have a higher chance of being needed. I'm sure they have the crime reports and monitor areas accordingly. I have a lot of confidence and the ultimate respect for our Tampa Police Department.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:15 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Police tend to hang out in areas where they have a higher chance of being needed. I'm sure they have the crime reports and monitor areas accordingly. I have a lot of confidence and the ultimate respect for our Tampa Police Department.
St Pete has much more crime it seems where he is talking about.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:21 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I went to visit a friend, who was from Ohio. He was staying at a hotel 1/2 mile from Publix. We both went to the store to buy some late night food. We both noticed Publix had an armed security guard as you exited the store.

Is anyone familiar with the area. I do know downtown is an expensive area to live at. I can't understand why they need a guard.
To deter/handle crime. Why does it bother you?

Quote:
St Pete has much more crime it seems where he is talking about.
Crime can occur anyplace. Stores are a target for robberies.

Last edited by applej3; 12-17-2016 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay