U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:20 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,222,458 times

Advertisements

Having recently experienced Matthew in Jacksonville and having to evacuate I was wondering what plans Tampa/St Pete has for mass evacuations. It was relatively easy to evacuate inland from Jacksonville via I-10 even though there were no hotels in a 100 mile radius (we had friends in Tallahassee where we stayed for a few days). The I-10 can be turned into a 4 lane one way if necessary. What does St Pete do? They can't go East because that takes you into Tampa which would result in chaos. If you go North than you run into more hurricane damage if the path goes that way. The road are packed on a normal day and I can't imagine what it would be like if there was a mass evacuation and everyone was trying to leave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 01:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,966,099 times
It would be a bad scene. Katrina-ish. Lots of people who can't evacuate without help. Even our Tropical Storms have demonstrated the flooding, surge the area gets. The infrastructure couldn't handle the surge. BTW all roadways become evacuation routes to inland areas. I think this forum has many threads discussing the impact on the area if you're interested.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:49 AM

http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Sto...afc059635a82ee

Old 12-13-2016, 06:54 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,721,719 times
You would need to have your own plan in place. Can't rely on government officials. Imagine! The least qualified people....it would be like the blind leading the blind.

I don't drive and live in a mobile home, so it's more critical for me here in St Pete, so I would probably err on the safe side and skeedaddle early on to someplace else, anyplace else, via Uber, a shuttle or the Dirty Dog.

It probably would not be like Katrina. That is a perfect example of what I mentioned. New Orleans has a totally corrupt and inept government (most notable for it's absence), and much of the high death count there after that storm was directly the fault of the city officials who were supposed to have a plan, and didn't. Or they were so stupid that they did not have a viable plan that would have had a chance of succeeding and could be executed properly. A LOT of people should be sitting in a jail cell right now for negligent homicide. You have to wonder how many other people their police force murdered after Katrina just because they were corrupt killer cops too. That showcased that state, and specifically that city, as what they really are all about and always have been.

I used to live in New Orleans, and when I went for a visit a few years ago you could see that the city was totally w/o leadership and the crime was hair raising.

Last edited by smarino; 12-13-2016 at 07:04 AM..

Old 12-13-2016, 07:02 AM

163 posts, read 145,418 times
People would just need to plan ahead and not wait until the last minute to evacuate if there was a threat of a direct hit. Tampa and St. Pete are on much higher ground than New Orleans, which is below sea level, so there isn't as much threat for the type of flooding that occurred during Katrina. The bigger risk for those who live inland would likely be going days/weeks without power, which is what happened during Hurricane Andrew when it hit Baton Rouge (I'm from Louisiana). Even during Katrina, the people living in New Orleans on high ground didn't experience flooding or wind damage, but the city was without power for months in some areas, and it was basically martial law and extremely dangerous to be there. My house is over 50 ft above sea level, but I would still evacuate due to the possibility of lost power and lawlessness.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:06 AM

The TB area has a high number of poor, elderly (especially St Pete) and people who live in mobile homes who are completely dependent on others for their well-being - and many who disregard warnings until it's too late.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,053,806 times
It would be very windy and raining

Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 AM

15,842 posts, read 33,191,851 times
The key is to leave EARLY! These storms are unpredictable, and the roads become parking lots at the last minute, with no gas available. I live in Sarasota near the water and would stay in all but the worst category storm, for us it would be about storm surge.

Those in St. Pete would need to really evacuate early since that city is very congested and a peninsula, so it would be hard to get out.

Needless to say, regardless of government planning (or lack of) the TBA would be devastated in a Cat 4 or 5 direct hit.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:29 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,564,266 times
Cat 5 direct hit on south tampa would be worse than Katrina due to the geography of south tampa as a tiny peninsula. Parts of pinellas would be almost as bad but the land mass is thicker. A direct hit on south tampa would almost have to come over pinellas first, the barrier island beaches and places like snell isle would be game over. The rest of the more land locked tampa bay area would just have the normal affects of a bad storm.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:39 AM

7,151 posts, read 3,923,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The key is to leave EARLY! These storms are unpredictable, and the roads become parking lots at the last minute, with no gas available. I live in Sarasota near the water and would stay in all but the worst category storm, for us it would be about storm surge.

Those in St. Pete would need to really evacuate early since that city is very congested and a peninsula, so it would be hard to get out.

Needless to say, regardless of government planning (or lack of) the TBA would be devastated in a Cat 4 or 5 direct hit.
The problem with leaving early is that these storms change tracks...and you may be heading to safety, in the wrong direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or