Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:30 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
IF you re- read my post I said back in the 80's and 90's we locked up the criminals.. where did I say we don't any more? I will be the first to say that violent crime is much less then the 80's and 90's. Yet it seems that the trend now seems to be gong away from what has been working and going in a new direction.
No room anymore and no money to house them. I would just as well kill them and be done with it. I could make some room. Just take a bang stick thru the bars and kill em all.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:08 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
I think three strikes and you're out would be a good first step to restoring "law and order". I think adding enhanced corporal punishment would really help. Caining is a very effective method to reduce crime. Criminals in the US do not fear punishment for their crimes. The criminals need to fully feel the physical pain of the beatings to educate them how to behave properly in society. If the criminals are locked up and can watch cable TV at the taxpayers expense, that is not an effective deterrent. Long prision sentences should be offshored to third world countries to significantly reduce the prision costs, and provide a miserable environment to the criminals to reduce the odds of repeating criminal activities in the future. The third world countries could educate the criminals about the value of honest work with forced hard labor.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:47 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm told the new POTUS Administration has all the answers on crime in our society. OP, just wait until January and all will be fixed for you. So he says.
I think most here would prefer a president that wants to protect citizens and put criminals in jail. Then our current example that wants to blame cops for societies ills. Lets continue doing what has worked instead of doing something that was discovered in some facility lounge at one of our so called prestigious colleges.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:00 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
OP.. the 10/20/life law is still in force, just that it was changed a bit this past February. Since it was enacted back in 1998, I believe, more then 15000 criminals have been put behind bars. This is the major change to the law this past February.

With a stroke of the governor’s pen, here’s what changes: The new law gives judges across the state flexibility when sentencing people convicted of gun-involved crimes. Under the 10-20-Life law, judges’ hands were tied and they had to hand down a 10-year sentence if someone displayed a gun and a 20-year sentence if someone fired a gun — including cases where the weapon was fired as a warning and not at an individual — and 25 years or more is someone were wounded. There were no exceptions; now there are.[LEFT]
Read more here: Good riddance to bad law, 10-20-Life | Miami Herald
[/LEFT]

Old 12-16-2016, 08:35 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
OP.. the 10/20/life law is still in force, just that it was changed a bit this past February. Since it was enacted back in 1998, I believe, more then 15000 criminals have been put behind bars. This is the major change to the law this past February.

With a stroke of the governor’s pen, here’s what changes: The new law gives judges across the state flexibility when sentencing people convicted of gun-involved crimes. Under the 10-20-Life law, judges’ hands were tied and they had to hand down a 10-year sentence if someone displayed a gun and a 20-year sentence if someone fired a gun — including cases where the weapon was fired as a warning and not at an individual — and 25 years or more is someone were wounded. There were no exceptions; now there are.[LEFT]
Read more here: Good riddance to bad law, 10-20-Life | Miami Herald
[/LEFT]
Thanks for posting this. I couldn't rep you. Great article that shows a different side of that bill.

Last edited by bentlebee; 12-16-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
I think most here would prefer a president that wants to protect citizens and put criminals in jail. Then our current example that wants to blame cops for societies ills. Lets continue doing what has worked instead of doing something that was discovered in some facility lounge at one of our so called prestigious colleges.
Disgree with your comment that the President has made such a broad, over stretching generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: