U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 AM

849 posts, read 3,269,960 times

Advertisements

if you have a valid MI license. That poster had not gotten her TX one so she was like a new driver here. Just turn in your MI one and get the FL one. You don't even need the written test.
Tampa Guy is right about safety. The maniacs can get out to the burbs just as easily as the good guys. Keep your wits about you and stay vigilant and you'll be fine. At least as fine as anyone anywhere. There's safety in numbers if you're going clubbing so keep that in mind. Being young and having a decent job makes it way easier to move and face this as an adventure so enjoy an don't stress over the details. Oh one thing tho. If you can afford some time in a Residence Inn, I'd strongly recommend it. DH and I are older but pretty adaptable and we did the long distance apt. thing twice. Big mistake both times but we didn't have any time and not much money. If you must do this fast, try to go to the Residence Inn. They're owned by Marriott and respectable. Check Marriott's web site for locations. You can then spend a weekend looking around and finding something. The areas mentioned in Tampa, Davis Is. So Ho etc. are good and I think someone mentioned St. Pete downtown which is lively at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andianderson825 View Post
Thank you everyone for the input! I did decide to take the transfer. I'm scared/excited and definitely stressed on the logistics of the move. I have heard mostly rave reviews from friends who know people who live there. I have also heard and read about crime in Tampa, and I was excited about partying in Ybor, but it seems like it might be scary now? My big concern now is having to pick an apartment without seeing it first and really knowing areas! I am looking at the Post Harbour Place which I think is Harbour Islands? Is the surrounding area safe? I'm also looking at the Georgian in Hyde Park. Again- safe surrounding area? Like I said before- I want to be in an area with lots of other young people and lots to do- shops, restaraunts, bars, culture, etc. but not at the risk of being mugged or whatnot if I wander outside of my little bubble! Even though I'm in Detroit metro- where I live now is far from the "scary D" and very very safe/nice. And I am also reading a lot about traffic being bad. Bad compared to what? Small towns? I consider rush hours in Detroit to be pretty bad (evening starts at 3:30 I swear!)- but I know it's nowhere near east coast, LA, Atlanta or Chi-town. How is the "trolley" I read about on the Harbour Place site? Scary or safe? I'm all about avoiding drinking and driving at all costs! I also read another post from someone asking about getting their Florida license and where to take the road test. Do you REALLY have to take your road test all over again there?!? YIKES!!! Okay, I wrote a novel!! Again- thanks for all the great advice and info.......
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM

15 posts, read 43,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andianderson825 View Post
Thank you everyone for the input! I did decide to take the transfer. I'm scared/excited and definitely stressed on the logistics of the move. I have heard mostly rave reviews from friends who know people who live there. I have also heard and read about crime in Tampa, and I was excited about partying in Ybor, but it seems like it might be scary now? My big concern now is having to pick an apartment without seeing it first and really knowing areas! I am looking at the Post Harbour Place which I think is Harbour Islands? Is the surrounding area safe? I'm also looking at the Georgian in Hyde Park. Again- safe surrounding area? Like I said before- I want to be in an area with lots of other young people and lots to do- shops, restaraunts, bars, culture, etc. but not at the risk of being mugged or whatnot if I wander outside of my little bubble! Even though I'm in Detroit metro- where I live now is far from the "scary D" and very very safe/nice. And I am also reading a lot about traffic being bad. Bad compared to what? Small towns? I consider rush hours in Detroit to be pretty bad (evening starts at 3:30 I swear!)- but I know it's nowhere near east coast, LA, Atlanta or Chi-town. How is the "trolley" I read about on the Harbour Place site? Scary or safe? I'm all about avoiding drinking and driving at all costs! I also read another post from someone asking about getting their Florida license and where to take the road test. Do you REALLY have to take your road test all over again there?!? YIKES!!! Okay, I wrote a novel!! Again- thanks for all the great advice and info.......
Hi,
Just wanted to chime in and let you know I did a search about FL driver licenses. There is nothing there about having to road test or take a written test. When we moved here five years ago all we had to do was take our MA licenses and I think needed our SSI and/or birth certificate Then went to get our FL., insurance and tags. Since FL., insurance is not regulated start checking out costs as soon as you have decided on your permanent address. Insurance costs can fluctuate like crazy! Also, they have no-fault which is a terrible system. We had a surcharge put on our record from an accident that happened in MA where we were found 100% not at fault. We were rear-ended while at a complete stop waiting to turn into our driveway!!!! And they said "well, we have no fault here and the surcharge applies" I could not believe my ears! And even though our insurance company back in MA spoke with them and explained we were not in anyway faulted, they still surcharged us! Unbelievable!!!

If I did not post it before use these websites to search for criminal activity in the area you decide to live in:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
www.TBO.com and search crime

Hope this helps and good luck with your move!

Kathy

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2008 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 PM

33 posts, read 89,382 times
Thanks for posting the Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed link Berkshirelassie! I just checked Nashville compared to Tampa and Nashville is higher than Tampa in everything except burglaries and car thefts!! I can't believe it....I KNEW Nashville had gotten worse! Reading those stats makes me feel better about our potential move!

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2008 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 PM

15 posts, read 43,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeLover99 View Post
Thanks for posting the Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
link Berkshirelassie! I just checked Nashville compared to Tampa and Nashville is higher than Tampa in everything except burglaries and car thefts!! I can't believe it....I KNEW Nashville had gotten worse! Reading those stats makes me feel better about our potential move!

Your very welcome, glad it helped you! You will be sitting under one of those palm trees before you know it

Good luck,
Kathy

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2008 at 07:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 13,287 times
I have been told that Florida is a No Fault insurance state, which sucks but I am used to it since MI is as well. Glad to hear you do not have to take a road or written test (not that I don't know how to drive!) My sister had to do them when she moved to NC. I also have thought about staying at the Residence Inn or something for a couple days before I pick a place. I really need to have a place beforehand, and I don't want to pass on something that may have been good. I will not actually sign a lease anywhere until I have toured it and am comfortable. I have a few good places picked out and I'm feeling pretty good about the move now. I am ready to get down there and start my new adventure! Thank you all for your help! Hopefully this is a good indication of how friendly the peope I will encounter there will be . Palm trees, here I come......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or