Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 20,000 times

Advertisements

Pros: Beaches Are Beautiful, Great Fishing, Beautiful Scenic Parks And Trails, Lots Of Organized Activities, Great Youth Sports Organizations, Very Professional Fire And Medical Services, Cons: Traffic In Some Areas Is Horrible, Not A Great Place For Pedestrians Very Dangerous. Hurricanes, High Rates Of HOME OWNERS Insurance, And THE Jobs Dont Pay Much Here AVERAGE 9-14 AN HOUR But Thats Almost Everywhere With The Terrible Economy

Old 03-05-2008, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 41,353 times
PROS: Weather, Near to Orlando and Miami

CONS: TRAFFIC,TOLLS, TWO LANE MAIN HIGHWAYS, NO REAL BUS/TRAIN SYSTEM, LACK OF CULTURE (food, music, entertainment), No real draw to the city (tourism...no, sports...no, history & culture.....no, business center.....no)

Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
PROS: winters, mostly nice people, great time to buy a house, diverse culture, the BEACHES
CONS: cruddy urban planning--hideous busy sprawling streets, high property taxes, political corruption

Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexfx View Post
PROS: Weather, Near to Orlando and Miami

CONS: TRAFFIC,TOLLS, TWO LANE MAIN HIGHWAYS, NO REAL BUS/TRAIN SYSTEM, LACK OF CULTURE (food, music, entertainment), No real draw to the city (tourism...no, sports...no, history & culture.....no, business center.....no)
Hi Flex - just wasn't sure where you were coming from regarding the "no real draw to the city"...I thought maybe you were new to Tampa, so I thoguht this may help....

tourism - ok, we are not Orlando or Disney(thank goodness), but having Busch Gardens/Adventure Island, largest Museum of Science and Industry in the South, #1 Family Zoo in the nation - Lowry Park Zoo, 3rd largest Aquarium in the nation - Florida Aquarium, America's only Dali Museum, and the area boasts three of the Nations finest beaches, just to name a few "draws"...

sports - Major League Baseball, Stanley Cup Champion Hockey, Super Bowl Champion Football, Division 1-A College Football, Baseball, Basketball, Numerous Champion Arena Football...besides a major league Basketball team, what more are you looking for in regards to sports?

history and culture - besides St. Augustine, I cant think of another Florida City that has as much history and culture as Tampa...huge immigration settlements of Italians, Jews, Cubans and Spanish in the late 1800's early 1900's to Ybor City and West Tampa, expansion of HB Plant's Railroad from the north, major role in Spanish-American War, first ever commercial airline flight, where Ray Charles invented "the Twist" and lived for a while..just to name a few, stop by the Tampa Bay History Center, which is undergoing a major million dollar expansion and its own building downtown Tampa to house all the history and artifacts from the Tampa Bay area. Tampa also has the largest Performing Arts Center in the Southeast, and the cities of Tampa, St. Pete and Sarasota have numerous museums and cultural venues dedicated to the arts. what more are you lookign for in a Florida city in terms of history and culture?

business center - Westshore Business District is the largest business center in Florida, and 5th largest in the nation. Downtown Tampa is the Financial Services business center for the city, the hub of business on the West Coast of Florida, Tampa has the 7th largest port in the country,....what more are you looking for in regards to a "business center"?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
basically comes down to this: Pros-weather from november til mid May. Cons-Weather from Mid May til November.....

Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM

44 posts, read 326,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
basically comes down to this: Pros-weather from november til mid May. Cons-Weather from Mid May til November.....
YES, the "rainy season" (usually starts around June 1st) means that just about each and every day, around the same time in late afternoon (3:00 PM - 6:00 PM) we get torrential downpours of such heavy rain that it is almost impossible to drive (bad visibility as well as hydroplaining) and puddles everywhere (if you decide to walk). Although it may not last more than an hour at most, and starts to "dry up" quickly after, it still makes the commute home a rough one !! Then there are the HURRICANES which all Floridians MUST worry about !!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 AM

105 posts, read 550,734 times
Pros- natural beauty, w/ the Bay, great beaches, fishing, seems to be the most 'native' Florida big city w/ some history
Cons-Cities in Bay Area need to take advantage of the natural beauty...ex. finishing the RiverWalk, a restaurant row w/ some trendy bars RIGHT on the beach on Clearwater or St. Pete Beach similar but maybe not as big as Ocean Drive in SOBE...people envision great restaurants and nightlife on the WATER when they think of Florida and the Tampa Bay Area needs to focus on developing entertainment on the coast rather than keep building inland...if such entertainment options were on the coast I guarantee the young professional population would head west changing the demographic and stereotype of Pinellas county(where rich old people move to die)
-ofcourse if any of this happens it could make the Bay Area the 'San Diego' of the east coast

Old 12-28-2010, 02:44 PM

51 posts, read 133,977 times
pros:
-the weather usually rules
-proximity to the beach
-alot of good food
-cheap housing/rent
-tbt party deck at the trop

cons:
-rays fans are the lamest in professional sports history. if the team is doing well, theyre die-hard fans, if not they're the worlds biggest fans of whomever is in 1st in the AL East.
-downtown tampa lacks any sort of attractive streetscape, urban walkability, shopping, dining etc. etc. that draw people to a downtown area after 5:00pm
-traffic is miserable
-worst drivers ever
-most unsafe city in america for pedestrians or bicycles (i'm an avid cyclist who has abandoned the car lifestyle many years ago. i obey all the rules of the road and practices extreme caution when i ride, yet i've still ended up in the ER twice over the past year, due to carless drivers and the hostile attitude towards cyclists and pedestrians)
-lack of options for the discerning shopper. (international and citrus park have crap in terms of upscale mens fashions)
-there is nothing more annoying on gods green earth than ybor on a friday or saturday night.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casanova baby! View Post
pros:
-the weather usually rules
-proximity to the beach
-alot of good food
-cheap housing/rent
-tbt party deck at the trop

cons:
-rays fans are the lamest in professional sports history. if the team is doing well, theyre die-hard fans, if not they're the worlds biggest fans of whomever is in 1st in the AL East.
-downtown tampa lacks any sort of attractive streetscape, urban walkability, shopping, dining etc. etc. that draw people to a downtown area after 5:00pm
-traffic is miserable
-worst drivers ever
-most unsafe city in america for pedestrians or bicycles (i'm an avid cyclist who has abandoned the car lifestyle many years ago. i obey all the rules of the road and practices extreme caution when i ride, yet i've still ended up in the ER twice over the past year, due to carless drivers and the hostile attitude towards cyclists and pedestrians)
-lack of options for the discerning shopper. (international and citrus park have crap in terms of upscale mens fashions)
-there is nothing more annoying on gods green earth than ybor on a friday or saturday night.

Ybor is the type of place that can be fun, but I would think it gets old after a yr of seeing it a lot and living there. You'd probably want a change at that point. As an occasional visitor, might not get bored of it EVER.
I just think its a matter of finding the right places.. I don't go to the severe party joints there or anything.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 AM

51 posts, read 133,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Ybor is the type of place that can be fun, but I would think it gets old after a yr of seeing it a lot and living there. You'd probably want a change at that point. As an occasional visitor, might not get bored of it EVER.
I just think its a matter of finding the right places.. I don't go to the severe party joints there or anything.
ybor is great on weekday afternoons. it's quiet and low key and you really get a chance to admire the beauty of the architecture and streetscape. however, if my appointment at 1603 falls on a saturday night or if a band i want to see is playing the orpehum, having to endure a weekend in ybor becomes inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay