U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM

26 posts, read 42,639 times

Advertisements

2 not mentioned :

PRO - Best Professional IT (Information Technology) opportunity "friendly" city in FL, even with Price Waterhouse outsourcing to India.

CON - Bucs blackouts

Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM

427 posts, read 1,002,785 times
I wish we had bigger and more freeways, like this:
http://www.wallcoo.com/nature/Yann_A...d%20States.jpg

Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,571,773 times
Pro: Greater Tampa is absolutely unlike any other city in the United States, with an unparalleled variety of lifestyles and settings. Big city, beach villages, small town suburbs, New Suburbia, urban centers, touristy areas, and on and on.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,791,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casanova baby! View Post
ybor is great on weekday afternoons. it's quiet and low key and you really get a chance to admire the beauty of the architecture and streetscape. however, if my appointment at 1603 falls on a saturday night or if a band i want to see is playing the orpehum, having to endure a weekend in ybor becomes inevitable.
Right and I am going there tomorrow in the day LOL. I will experience a cooler day down there and I may walk to Downtown as well. I walk even if most wont haha. I could hang around later though too depending.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM

45 posts, read 123,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Hi Flex - just wasn't sure where you were coming from regarding the "no real draw to the city"...I thought maybe you were new to Tampa, so I thoguht this may help....

tourism - ok, we are not Orlando or Disney(thank goodness), but having Busch Gardens/Adventure Island, largest Museum of Science and Industry in the South, #1 Family Zoo in the nation - Lowry Park Zoo, 3rd largest Aquarium in the nation - Florida Aquarium, America's only Dali Museum, and the area boasts three of the Nations finest beaches, just to name a few "draws"...

sports - Major League Baseball, Stanley Cup Champion Hockey, Super Bowl Champion Football, Division 1-A College Football, Baseball, Basketball, Numerous Champion Arena Football...besides a major league Basketball team, what more are you looking for in regards to sports?

history and culture - besides St. Augustine, I cant think of another Florida City that has as much history and culture as Tampa...huge immigration settlements of Italians, Jews, Cubans and Spanish in the late 1800's early 1900's to Ybor City and West Tampa, expansion of HB Plant's Railroad from the north, major role in Spanish-American War, first ever commercial airline flight, where Ray Charles invented "the Twist" and lived for a while..just to name a few, stop by the Tampa Bay History Center, which is undergoing a major million dollar expansion and its own building downtown Tampa to house all the history and artifacts from the Tampa Bay area. Tampa also has the largest Performing Arts Center in the Southeast, and the cities of Tampa, St. Pete and Sarasota have numerous museums and cultural venues dedicated to the arts. what more are you lookign for in a Florida city in terms of history and culture?

business center - Westshore Business District is the largest business center in Florida, and 5th largest in the nation. Downtown Tampa is the Financial Services business center for the city, the hub of business on the West Coast of Florida, Tampa has the 7th largest port in the country,....what more are you looking for in regards to a "business center"?
Hi TampaGuy...Is there any chance you could cite where you are getting your statistics? I don't think Tampa ranks # 2 in history for Florida; nor, do I think it's the # 1 business center in Florida. For history, I think that Jax or Miami could give Tampa a run for its money. I think the same could be said of the two cities for a business draw. I know for fact that Miami has the largest import/export trade in Florida. Oh, and bite your toungue regarding that Tampa has the # 1 family zoo in the nation. I don't even see how it's even the # 1 family zoo in Florida. Zoo Miami kicks butt over Lowry. They don't nickle and dime you at Zoo Miami. Lowry seems to focus too much on the pay-for-use kiddie rides than the animals. I'm not disputing that the Tampa area has it's virtues, just not sure where you're getting your facts from.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 AM

2,363 posts, read 4,598,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Pro: Greater Tampa is absolutely unlike any other city in the United States, with an unparalleled variety of lifestyles and settings. Big city, beach villages, small town suburbs, New Suburbia, urban centers, touristy areas, and on and on.
This is the main reason i REALLY love the area!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgel View Post
Hi TampaGuy...Is there any chance you could cite where you are getting your statistics? I don't think Tampa ranks # 2 in history for Florida; nor, do I think it's the # 1 business center in Florida. For history, I think that Jax or Miami could give Tampa a run for its money. I think the same could be said of the two cities for a business draw. I know for fact that Miami has the largest import/export trade in Florida. Oh, and bite your toungue regarding that Tampa has the # 1 family zoo in the nation. I don't even see how it's even the # 1 family zoo in Florida. Zoo Miami kicks butt over Lowry. They don't nickle and dime you at Zoo Miami. Lowry seems to focus too much on the pay-for-use kiddie rides than the animals. I'm not disputing that the Tampa area has it's virtues, just not sure where you're getting your facts from.

WHooa sunny. Tampa does Rank #2 in History.
Jax can not give Tampa a run from the business standpoint.
and I have Seen Tampa as being rated as the number 1 family frienly zoo. It certainly is not Zoo Miami. Lowry Park Zoo - #1 Family Zoo in the Country

Old 01-03-2011, 05:16 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,129,744 times
That's not even a legitimate website for rankings! for one, second it can only rank Lowry Zoo #1 if you like to spend your day in extreme smells and nickle and dime for every attraction! we went a few times and not going ever again! Not to mention it is LOCATED in the middle of crack town! Last time they were hosting some business event and all those ppl dressed to impress were trying to eat and were grossed out by the smells! OMG! Maybe it is ranked 1st on the WORST list! Yeah, Tampaguy...have you been to the Miami Zoo? the DC Zoo? Central Park Zoo? or have you even been to Lowry?

Here's History Lesson from Wiki:
Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Luckily people don't move here for the "History"!

PRO: Close to Orlando attractions if you have kids (or not) which is a LOT better than tiny little "Ybor" with it's daytime pot attractions and dangerous nightly characters located smack next to the worst crack town in town!!...But you're "close" (4, 5 hours) to Miami/Fort Lauderdale for real entertainment....We do have the best, most wonderful beaches you can find in US, THOSE are ranked #1, Clearwater is one of them, Sanibel was another....and we like to have them left alone and not developed! wink, wink ...

CONS: NO Culture, No real LOCAL entertainment...jobs pay poorly comparing to how much prices have gone up...no respect for one's work,....everyone wants everything for free city, we lived in Orlando and SoFla and never encountered that one! sprawl..."drive everywhere" town. NOT Pedestrian friendly, biker friendly, or motorcycle friendly, tons of UNINSURED drivers, expensive car and homeowners insurance...expensive HOA's & CDD's...becomes boring, "been there done that" type thing and you're far far away from any hills/mountains, think 10 hour drive...people seclude themselves here in their little bubbles and due to distances socialization becomes a matter of how fat's your wallet to keep driving around! as there isn't any VALID public transit and the one that exists is full of low lives and homeless! which is why ppl prefer their cars here so much, and Last but not Least, it is the "Land of Chains"! No DIVERSITY unless you consider "divers chains" a Diversity! yeah, in that case we are very divers in CHAINS! of any sort! Boring and uninteresting. No Architecture (sadly since FL is or should be the best place for architects to have creative freedom, but no, everything looks the same, either dilapidated and left to rot or stucco same house on every block, same shopping plaza on every corner! Very sad, a LOT of prime real estate wasted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHooa sunny. Tampa does Rank #2 in History.
Jax can not give Tampa a run from the business standpoint.
and I have Seen Tampa as being rated as the number 1 family frienly zoo. It certainly is not Zoo Miami. [url=http://www.tampa-attractions.com/lowry-park-zoo.html
Lowry Park Zoo - #1 Family Zoo in the Country[/url]

Last edited by algia; 01-03-2011 at 05:44 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 06:15 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,921,829 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or