Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 05:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

Ill apologize ahead of time about this post. As I have so many questions and don't really know where to start. Ive lived in Kentucky all my life, same county. I was born with a malformation in my brain and also have a condition that is very rare that causes excess spinal fluid, this same condition is also known as a fake brain tumor. It mimics the same symptoms. So anyway, my family came to Florida the first time back in October. I noticed during the drive down that I started feeling like a normal person again. The whole week we were in Florida I felt better than I ever have in my whole entire life. (Keep in mind that daily I have extreme fatigue, Terrible headaches, body pain, eye pain, off balance, dizziness, and a whooshing heartbeat in one or both ears.) As soon as we were back in KY I went back to my almost too painful to live life. We thought we would try it again the next month. And again I felt better instantly. After speaking with my neurologist I realize it is the sea level and being at a lower pressure making me feel better.

So along with my feeling better, my best friend now living down here herself, and pretty much no jobs in our area and having to relocate anyway; Ive decided to come to Florida. (I also have severe seasonal depression that I feel could be helped from the Sunshine State) I want to live a life, play with my children and not be bedridden. I can do that in Florida. My only problem is I cant decide where. I know I would love to be in Pasco County but heck Ill take anywhere as long as I'm closer to sea level.

So my questions of concern are:
1. I know crime is everywhere, trust me. But after doing tons of research and using many different sites, I would like to know more from the people who live in this area.
2. My husband has went to school for many job trades. But will be getting a decent paying job be a problem in this area?
3. For our first year we would like to rent, were not going to buy until were sure about the area we choose. Is finding a decent rental for a 3 bedroom in a safe rural area going to be very difficult?

Anyone that can help me out I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 11:41 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
You're going to have to be a bit more specific if you want responses that have any value.

What "trades" is your husband trained in? Construction? Car mechanic? Electrician?

Pasco County, or at least Dade City, has no industry to speak of. That means the only jobs are service and retail, and even those are limited at best to minimum wage sorts of positions.

West Pasco is a drug-ridden wasteland for the most part. When you get into the more rural areas you're not going to have much to choose from for rental properties for the most part, I suspect. That, and it's going to make any commute to a more populated area difficult.

Understand that Florida, unlike the Midwest (even Kentucky) has no manufacturing or large factory types of employment to speak of. The majority of jobs down here that aren't professional/technical are retail, food service and service jobs that pay minimum wage or just slightly better.

I can't speak for the rural parts of Pasco, but in the more suburban areas rents are at record highs in the area due to strong demand. A one bedroom apartment in a good community is easily $1,000/month. A three bedroom house is easily in the $2,000/month range. Certainly there are places in less desirable areas that are cheaper, but you expressed a concern about crime, which would rule those out I assume.

Understand that your expenses are going to go up significantly as well. Car insurance is probably a factor of 2-5 times as much as Kentucky. While heat usually isn't an issue, having air conditioning running at least eight months a year makes for a significant electric bill.

RM

Old 01-07-2017, 12:35 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You're going to have to be a bit more specific if you want responses that have any value.

What "trades" is your husband trained in? Construction? Car mechanic? Electrician?

Pasco County, or at least Dade City, has no industry to speak of. That means the only jobs are service and retail, and even those are limited at best to minimum wage sorts of positions.

West Pasco is a drug-ridden wasteland for the most part. When you get into the more rural areas you're not going to have much to choose from for rental properties for the most part, I suspect. That, and it's going to make any commute to a more populated area difficult.

Understand that Florida, unlike the Midwest (even Kentucky) has no manufacturing or large factory types of employment to speak of. The majority of jobs down here that aren't professional/technical are retail, food service and service jobs that pay minimum wage or just slightly better.

I can't speak for the rural parts of Pasco, but in the more suburban areas rents are at record highs in the area due to strong demand. A one bedroom apartment in a good community is easily $1,000/month. A three bedroom house is easily in the $2,000/month range. Certainly there are places in less desirable areas that are cheaper, but you expressed a concern about crime, which would rule those out I assume.

Understand that your expenses are going to go up significantly as well. Car insurance is probably a factor of 2-5 times as much as Kentucky. While heat usually isn't an issue, having air conditioning running at least eight months a year makes for a significant electric bill.

RM
I can tell ya homes in west pasco in my hood have not gone up at all and rents are still dirt cheap in my area. Plenty of Dade city is not that great as well due to drugs.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I can tell ya homes in west pasco in my hood have not gone up at all and rents are still dirt cheap in my area. Plenty of Dade city is not that great as well due to drugs.
Exactly why I didn't suggest West Pasco. I have heard the same about Dade City but don't have any direct experience with it like I do West Pasco, which is why I refrained from commenting in that respect.

RM

Old 01-07-2017, 12:52 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Exactly why I didn't suggest West Pasco. I have heard the same about Dade City but don't have any direct experience with it like I do West Pasco, which is why I refrained from commenting in that respect.

RM
It's not as bad as west Pasco since less people all crammed together. Homes have gone up to near 2005 prices and they have not done in a thing in west Pasco.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:54 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
We lived in Dade City from 1997 - 2007, so I can only speak for how things were at that time. It is a small, charming and beautiful town and area. Lots of beautiful rolling land, pastures, woods, hills and lakes. As has been mentioned, there is no "industry" to speak of here, it was once heavily agricultural and had an orange juice plant, now defunct, and now most of the ag land has been turned into housing developments. These days it is mostly a bedroom community for Tampa and larger areas. It is the county seat for Pasco.

The nice parts of Dade City are now pretty pricey. As far as drugs go, I believe these would be found in the poorer areas, probably north and east of 301, but hard to say for sure. Definitely stay away from west Pasco! It is a different world there. Southeast Pasco is not bad, say Wesley Chapel but is becoming highly developed. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,154 times
As for as work my husband is a mechanic (small engines, big engines, anything with a motor) he also has his hvac and has worked several years as electrician. He also went to school for welding.

I've been doing my homework and looking at literally each county. I just don't want to make a mistake and put my family in the worse possible place in Florida. We want a new start in a place I can make a life in. Were open to other areas in Florida as well.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:56 AM

Given a choice the most demand will be in HVAC, especially the consumer side. This is assuming he has some certifications and/or verifiable experience in the field.

If he has his welder's card there are a number of good jobs at the shipyards in Tampa. This is a bit of a commute from the area you're looking in, but I do know that they are constantly on the lookout for card-carrying (certified) welders at these places.

Mechanics are a dime a dozen down here unless you have direct experience at the dealer level.

Understand that the pool of available talent down here is pretty big, so if your husband doesn't have verifiable experience or certifications in these areas he won't be able to get a job, or at least not a decent one. Just saying, "Yeah, I've done that" won't get him an interview. If he has direct, documented experience with an employer in one of these areas he should be OK. If it's just tinkering or something he's done on the side without being employed in the field directly, he's going to be out of luck.

RM

Old 01-08-2017, 08:53 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
....... snip.....

Understand that Florida, unlike the Midwest (even Kentucky) has no manufacturing or large factory types of employment to speak of..................end snip..........[[

Time for a fact check Morton....

http://www.enterpriseflorida.com/wp-...Data_Sheet.pdf

Florida Manufacturing Directory - Florida Manufacturers

http://madeinflorida.org/wp-content/...yer-100812.pdf

If MOST of the jobs in FL are service jobs or other low paying jobs who are all these service workers serving? Other people with low paying jobs?

Is it all those low wage, service industry, non-professional people streaming into Tampa every work day

Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages - FloridaJobs.org

Florida State Household Income | Department of Numbers

Old 01-08-2017, 12:03 PM

Wrong. Manufacturing, as a function of state GDP, is only about 4% in Florida, compared with over 12% in Kentucky.

The Manufacturing Footprint and the Importance of U.S. Manufacturing Jobs | Economic Policy Institute

Most of these service jobs are related to, directly or indirectly, Florida's biggest revenue generator - tourism.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay